The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Those screens are Johannes Burock screens Glyph. Pusianka was just offering compliments. ^_^

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Here are some early, rough screenshots of my current work in progress...

j1101.jpg

Faerie rings can be dangerous...

j1102.jpg

I get the feeling I'm not welcome here...

j1103.jpg

My wood and rope bridge works properly after making the ropes from patches instead of using the curved rope model.

j1104.jpg

Poor tree.... one of a kind...

j1105.jpg

...hacked down 'cause some wanker wanted to make a bridge.

Lots, lots, lots more work to do still.

• Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Way interesting ideas. :)

Last pic is one of the most beautiful waterfalls I have seen in darkmod. A light source (crystals) behind waterfall will make it more fancy.

Thanks :) It really does look pretty good in-game. A combination of the waterfall particle emitter and a wall of the fast streaming clear water texture. I made it cut the corner twice at the top, so it ends up with a rounded appearance where the water goes over the edge. Good idea about the lighting. I was thinking of doing something along those lines.

ohh niiice....

does the rope bridge move as Ai and the player walk over it..?

The bridge does not move yet, but I was planning on making it do that. I'm thinking of putting triggers at both ends which react to any AI or the player while they are on the bridge. The problem I'll need to sort out is if the player and the AI end up to both be on the bridge at the same time. I don't want the triggers to cancel the swaying, or possibly end up with a swaying bridge with nobody on it and a still bridge while the AI is crossing. I may have to make it react to the AI only and not the player so that doesn't happen. I'd love to have it sway under the player though.

One thing that's barely noticeable in the screenshots I posted is that, due to the massive scale of the redwood tree, I had to use full sized pine trees for it's branches. It actually ended up looking pretty decent.

Edited by PranQster

@Pusianka

Alright I'll compliment this instead then!

What's the crazy birdman for? I do love seeing horrible monster/animal people!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

The bridge does not move yet, but I was planning on making it do that.

Another way, but dont know if it will work is to use proper entity ropes and then bind the wood planks to the rope... then get an Ai to walk over and see if it moves. Also you don't need to put monster clip on/around func_static that Ai can walker over etc.

Another way, but dont know if it will work is to use proper entity ropes and then bind the wood planks to the rope... then get an Ai to walk over and see if it moves. Also you don't need to put monster clip on/around func_static that Ai can walker over etc.

I tried that a year ago, trying to place a weight on the bottom of a climbable rope, but the entity that's bound the rope doesn't stay in sync with it.

I tried that a year ago, trying to place a weight on the bottom of a climbable rope, but the entity that's bound the rope doesn't stay in sync with it.

thats because the origins of the bound entities need to be in the same location as that of the rope.?

I will test this out when I get home :-)

My first try for those ropes were to use the curved rope model, but my character would take damage and get thrown off the bridge while walking on it. One thing I am considering trying is to make a nodraw entity under the bridge which moves (after converting the ropes and bridge to entities), along with a func_spring to bind to both the bridge and the mover. Hopefully I can tweak that spring so the bridge bounces a bit instead of just moving side to side.

One problem I have seen with func_spring is that a yellow line gets rendered between the spring and the entities it is connected to. I might be able to hide that yellow line by placing the spring and mover inside one of the bridge planks.

Yeah those two platforms and the bridge are all wrapped in monsterclip, else the AI either just stood still or walked in circles. A curved patch plane textured with wood-sound nodraw-solid, floating just above the bridge planks, allows the AI to walk smoothly across.

well spent 45mins and couldnt get it to work, what we need is ropes with anchor points at both ends possibly....

Yeah, I'm going to experiment with this tonight. I'd like to anchor the ends of the ropes and have the rest be on a spring. I succeeded at getting ragdolls to stay on horses* (think of a dead soldier sent back to camp on his horse), but the ragdolls bounced around and twitched too much. I think the bridge will behave much better.

* See the off-topic silly screenshots thread.

Edited by PranQster

The basic bridge swinging is functional (func_shaking). Now to do some fine tuning to the movement, add the triggers to start and stop it, and modify how the ropes connect to the platforms at both ends. I'll probably bind some rope loops onto the end of each rope. With a bit of luck, I'll have this done in an hour or so.

LOL that's what they all say :)

Good luck, post a video if you get it to work, should be pretty sweet from the way you describe it.

LOL, what time is it now? About 45 minutes later or so. It works well. A minor amount of tweaking to do to the size and position of the triggers so the bridge doesn't stop shaking until the AI steps off of it. But it looks pretty good.

I'll try to get a video of it, but not tonight. I'm sick and need to get to bed so I can try to make it to work in the morning.

Edit: video recorded, encoding now. Need to preview it and run it through avidemux to probably trim it and make it into mp4.

Edited by PranQster

edit: Pranq@ what's the sky texture? You made it or you took it?

That texture is one of the skyboxes that already exist. The texture is called 'mountain sunset'. I'm looking to see what path it is in, but am having trouble locating it right now.... the skybox that is. All I had done was to load the skybox in as far as I can remember.

I must have modified an existing skybox to use the mountain_sunset texture because I can't find any prefab skybox using this.

/darkmod/nature/skybox/mountain_sunset

Edited by PranQster

That's fucking AWESOME!

Woot! Thanks :)

I love how its moves just a little :-D would love to see this in a test map so we could see hows its done.

I'll do something with that after work today :)

It was so simple. Nothing but a func_shaker with a rope bound to it and the rest of the bridge bound to the one rope. I'll post the values I used for the shaker this evening.