The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

But as to my knowledges those are Pinkdot's trees

Not sure which ones you're talking about. Nosslak posted some screenshots of a great looking trees a few months ago but I don't know what happened to them.

If you're talking about the trees in Johannes' screenshot, converting them to .ase is not a good idea, since they're already part of the mod repository. Making .ase versions just means we have two versions of the same thing sitting around. Though to my knowledge none of the images in the mod are .bmps, so perhaps I'm misunderstanding entirely.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33429049/tdm/valley-shot00022.jpg

I am talking about these, i dont think they were part of repository as floood didnt get them working straight from whoever he received them from and asked me to look into. But to recall properly he figured out the problem with the original lwos so those are still in .lwo .

Only the new scaled ones in .Ase (as its blender's only output i could make)

That looks pretty nice as well...

All the hub-bub is about Nosslak's version here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11496-nosslaks-stuff/page__view__findpost__p__261979

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Sounds a bit too much for a small object, but lately the team's opinion on that as i see it, is that polycount does not matter that much as long as you include a lowpoly shadowmesh and collision mesh.

(Of course wasted polys still remain wasted polys so keeping to a minimum is allways good as long as its not on the toll of detail,it's just not the time of T2 polycounts anymore)

Edited by _Atti_

QUESTION: 655 polies is too much for a lamp or is it fine?

What I've been reading is to think in terms of a budget for a whole scene. I remember them talking about an 800 poly chest, which was okay, but maybe you'd want to use it for a bedroom (as opposed to a grand hall) without too much other stuff around, or even if it is in a big place, where there's less potential for action (since an FPS hit is worst when you need to act, but maybe tolerable when you don't). So then you can think of it like a spectrum of objects, lower poly stuff under 600 for normal use, and higher poly over 600 for better use, and over 1200 if it's for special use.

Sometimes you want smaller objects to be higher poly because it's worth it. Then you probably want to showcase that object in a setting it can be admired and those extra polys contribute to the experience, as opposed to it being in the background and hardly noticed.

Edit: While the topic is up, what do you guys think would be some ballpark figures for total polys for areas? I know the engine can crunch scenes over a million polys, but when you're building is there a rough range you should be shooting for? Like in the mid-10Ks? Someone could walk through some FMs looking at the poly counts and FPS and report back a good range for different areas like well furnished bedrooms, halls, outside areas, caves, etc, and the relative contribution of different objects, AI, brushes & patches, etc. Or at least the far end range of these things where an FPS hit starts to be noticeable, and that'd be helpful. (For reference, Dromed's high end was right near 1000 polys unoptimized, haha. I remember that line very well! It was pretty harsh to meet sometimes.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Edit: While the topic is up, what do you guys think would be some ballpark figures for total polys for areas? I know the engine can crunch scenes over a million polys, but when you're building is there a rough range you should be shooting for? Like in the mid-10Ks? Someone could walk through some FMs looking at the poly counts and FPS and report back a good range for different areas like well furnished bedrooms, halls, outside areas, caves, etc, and the relative contribution of different objects, AI, brushes & patches, etc. Or at least the far end range of these things where an FPS hit starts to be noticeable, and that'd be helpful. (For reference, Dromed's high end was right near 1000 polys unoptimized, haha. I remember that line very well! It was pretty harsh to meet sometimes.)

Well, I think this is the good and bad thing about the Doom engine.

On one hand you can have millions of polys just fine with no lights. On the other hand you can have 6 lights falling on two tris and kill FPS. The bad thing is there is no real guideline or cold hard science.

In TF2 you hit the 1024 poly limit on screen and things start to not render correctly. Of course this was only world polys. Object tris didn't matter, but there is a hard limit of 256 objects on screen at once.

It really comes down to your lighting from everything I've seen. That's where you gain the most performance or lose the most. Having too many lights on a tri.

There is the command showlightcount 1 (I believe that's correct) and that'll get you a lot farther than worrying about tri count.

I built a little chapel and was getting 22 fps in one area. I added a lot of tris and split up the world geometry more to get rid of about 4 huge tris that were catching a lot of lights and instantly got 32+ fps in the same spot.

More tris, better framerate.

That alone shows that the number of tris really isn't an issue.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 2 weeks later...

Experimenting. Obviously none of this is to scale, nor are orbit or rotation times. But it works really well.

My god the image quality is quite buggered after re-sizing and jpeg compression... but you get the idea.

post-3285-0-47997000-1324335884_thumb.jpg

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I thought about that when I started making this, though this one was made from scratch. I am starting to build a museum of a sort and decided to put in the solar system. I still need to adjust orbit times to be calibrated to the Earth orbit, as well as rotation speeds, etc. So far I got lucky with Mercury, setting it's rotation speed to -1 (degree)... it ends up with one side always facing the sun. But that will have to be adjusted when I reset the orbit spline speeds. Saturn needs to be squashed a little too... it's too round. Also, iirc, Uranus needs to be rotated on it's side and have the axis of rotation set to either axis x or y... or is it Neptune that needs that... Wikipedia will remind me.

I thought about that when I started making this, though this one was made from scratch. I am starting to build a museum of a sort and decided to put in the solar system. I still need to adjust orbit times to be calibrated to the Earth orbit, as well as rotation speeds, etc. So far I got lucky with Mercury, setting it's rotation speed to -1 (degree)... it ends up with one side always facing the sun. But that will have to be adjusted when I reset the orbit spline speeds. Saturn needs to be squashed a little too... it's too round. Also, iirc, Uranus needs to be rotated on it's side and have the axis of rotation set to either axis x or y... or is it Neptune that needs that... Wikipedia will remind me.

But does the Builder doctrine approve this? I'm betting they're upholding to the earth-centered universe. You (or the owner of the museum) will be burned at the stake for heresy! :o

Builder fluff experts, please comment?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Xcen: that is good, although maybe a bit sterile. I would place some random decals on the walls and the ground; objects, a small chain or two, or mounds of dirt (with the patch mesh command).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

But does the Builder doctrine approve this? I'm betting they're upholding to the earth-centered universe. You (or the owner of the museum) will be burned at the stake for heresy! :o

Builder fluff experts, please comment?

I'm planning on working just such controversy into the story. The museum will certainly be closed and locked up. Not just for the night, but until the builders can figure out how to dismantle this display... which appears to be magical since the orbs are floating in mid-air with no support on any side.

I just re-did orbit times for all planets (splines), starting with Earth at 1 minute, and calculated the rest according to that. I had to divide all times by 10 to make it sane. Otherwise Neptune would take nearly 3 hours to orbit the sun... now it's down to about 16.5 minutes for Neptune with Earth orbiting at 6 seconds.

Solar Day rotation speeds will not be done accurately. I adjusted the other planets to their approximate rotational speed when compared with Earth, but had to keep Earth relatively slow. So Earth only has a few days per year according to this model. Otherwise, trying to make it do 365 rotations in just 6 seconds would have been insane. I can only imagine how Jupiter would have looked, rotating (axial) at more than twice the rate of Earth. :wacko:

Edited by PranQster

Is that a static mesh / model, or a prefab?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved