The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

@Xcen :

You're right, simply removing "forceOpaque" without extra measures causes other problems, especially when compiling, and seems to draw the fog past the actual surface of the sky which looks extra strange.

I got it somewhat working well using this method tho, maybe you want to give it a try :

- comment out "forceOpaque"

- add "diffusemap _black"

This makes the sky surface have proper depth information that the fog needs while still drawing "behind the fog".

Downside : since it now has a diffusemap stage, that will likely end up being redrawn ( even if its black ) for every standard light that touches it :/

a couple of screen of a mission Im updating....

Nice. A couple of notes:

The big bright cirle looks out of place,maybe dirty it down and crack it up?

The torch holder on the left image is casting a shadow. If this is a combined entity, it should not do this, so please report it as bug. If this is a torch you build manually, please consider using a combined entity, as this will automatically switch the torch holder shadow on/off depending on whether the light is on or off :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Nice shots!

BD, what's the name that texture on the vault ceiling in the left hand side image? That concrete looking plaster between the arches?

By the looks of it, it is old_worn_semiplastered. I think it may only tile along the X-axis, so look for it in both parts of the stone>bricks branch.

The big bright cirle looks out of place,maybe dirty it down and crack it up?

That's a rug, so unless it has been in place long, it could look shiny new.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• The big bright cirle looks out of place,maybe dirty it down and crack it up?
  • The torch holder on the left image is casting a shadow.

We need more rug textures, but yes now that you mention it, will dirty it up. And I already made the torch model noshadow after taking the ss.

By the looks of it, it is old_worn_semiplastered.

Correct, but also used a grime corner over the top.

looks terrific Biker! Too bad I won't play it if it's for WH.

As the map now belongs to me, you need not worry. The story is getting a complete overhaul, along with the map itself - the idea is turn wh into what it should have been.

In that case it should probably have a trim and if possible it should be like a short cylinder so it'll have some height as well.

Its so dark, that you wouldn't notice a 1 unit high rug, which is why its just a patch.

As the map now belongs to me, you need not worry. The story is getting a complete overhaul, along with the map itself - the idea is turn wh into what it should have been.

What do you mean belongs to you? Is SH also author? If so you will give him more opportunity to troll over board about bad missions since his mission will not be bad anymore thanks to you. :D

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't see the reason for this.

• Winter Harvest was a mission with glaring flaws and fascinating virtues. It was its own thing.
  • Then, we got a graphical overhaul, changing the missions's looks in important ways while leaving the plotline in place.
  • Now, there is another graphical redesign, along with the story, leaving from the original - what?

Why not work on something new? Why not leave Winter Harvest as its own thing? Maybe I have a different idea of authorship, and see things more rigidly, but this is a bit like rewriting a book. Granted, not Shakespeare or Goethe, but a form of individual expression nevertheless.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It was more a case of doing the things I wanted to do when I worked on it the last time round, but as most people know I cant just fix one thing :-D More importantly it would better to not have such a poorly made fm in the mission's list as it currently is. And its not a big job, as the only thing I didn't upgrade fully was the castle along with the amendments to the storyline so its makes more sense to the player.

By the looks of it, it is old_worn_semiplastered. I think it may only tile along the X-axis, so look for it in both parts of the stone>bricks branch.

That's a gorgeous texture. I'm already using it for the walls of my WIP cellar. And--yes--it only tiles horizontally, but can be used on taller walls if the walls are broken up with horizontal beams.

Very nice.

We need more rug textures, but yes now that you mention it, will dirty it up. And I already made the torch model noshadow after taking the ss.

Hopefully you used "noshadows_lit" :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Im liking that mansion in the background! I would however try something different: build the hedges completely out of patch surfaces (make enough copies of them and turn them to patch surfaces on each different plane, then align them on the grid as a whole "solid" again), then by moving vertices, create a completely "organic" shape, instead of simply rouding the edges. Remember, for that to work, you need to select the edge vertices with a bouding box (so you can grab the overlapping vertices of the shared edge and move them as one). That would be true of all edge and corner vertices, where the different planes meet (the vertices inside each plane can safely be clicked and moved individually though). Also, to avoid any gaps between the curved surfaces, they need to have the exact same number of vertex rows/columns, no matter their size - just convert them ALL with the same number or rows, for simplicity; you can always just set a low subdivision level on the whole group afterwards, to save some tris I guess (shift + S).

I would also, after modeling the shapes, maybe place a bunch of bush and plants models just inside the hedge volumes, so the leaves would be sticking out - this should create a more natural feeling. This whole process is exactly what Im planning to do in a couple of places inside my map.

Edited by RPGista

post-3947-0-61524900-1326465695_thumb.jpg

@ RPGista - do you mean something like that? It's certainly an improvemant on just a plain block. I was thinking that patches were probably the best way to go but wasn't sure how to do it. Thanks for the advice.

@ Jay - nothing wrong with a nice wall or fence. I just haven't done hedges before and wanted to do something different :smile:

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

much better. You cn use the tex tool to adjust the uv's too, they look a bit stretched across the top.

I've also made some ivy textures that should be in there (can't check now) that are alphaed (though the leaves are different).they are tilable rows so you can layer them up and have leaves that stick out, they would be more 3d.

If the end cap is also a patch you can pull out it's center and make it all pretty round and smooth.

The red brick building is really cool, I think make the foundation and trims maybe a white stone woul realy make it pop.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest