The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Just one minor thing: it looks like on the buildings outside, there are fire-based lights high above - in reality, nobody would be able to light them, so maybe switch them for electric lights :)

(Or have a builder carry a long ladder :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

:excl: That's an elegant fix.

It reminds me of the long forgotten portable steampunk jackhammer that was going to be used to mine rocks for throwing at Thieves.

Now that the Source Code is here, that plan can finally come to fruition. :ph34r:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yea the map still needs some dirt.

And it runs nice (in this very early state), but I am also thinking optimization into the process along the way; for example the pillars (with the hammer cut out) cast no shadows. Instead I have created some simple shadow-casting brushes.

I would say the basic arhiceture is about 10 - 15% done, the shots you see are basicly what is in the map so far.

Ooh! I think it's a party masquerade mask! =-)

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

It looks like a mask, or it could be a vagina, I can't tell. Whatever it is it's Sweet looking! I can't wait to see it when it's done. :)

Ooh! I think it's a party masquerade mask! =-)

Yup, masquerade mask it is. I thought it'd be harder than that to guess what it was. I'm thinking of doing a couple of these for the women with different designs on different skins. I'll probably end up making some for the men as well in the future.

I was just thinking the other day of a model I tried to make once but didn't have the skill to do it. Thought I'd post it before I forget. If you're looking for a challenge at some point, I'd love to have a repeating crossbow for our AI, something like this:

Repeating+Crossbow_001.jpg

• Like 1

I was just thinking the other day of a model I tried to make once but didn't have the skill to do it. Thought I'd post it before I forget. If you're looking for a challenge at some point, I'd love to have a repeating crossbow for our AI, something like this:

Repeating+Crossbow_001.jpg

That is looking awesome. I'd be glad to make one of those one day (preferably with someone else doing the animations).

Pagan village slowly coming together. Nothing very impressive, but I got the basic huts made, etc. Still need to decorate and fill in the swamp, trees, etc. as well as populate it and place possessions, AI routes etc.

Reminder... this is very early WIP:

post-3285-0-30692900-1327299686_thumb.jpg

post-3285-0-66247200-1327299689_thumb.jpg

The screenshots look like hell... after re-sizing and saving them, they are being re-compressed with .jpg :( I wish TDM would save screenshots in .png... or go back to .tga

seta tdm_screenshot_format "jpg"

What can I set this to? I imagine "tga"... what about "png"?

Yes, "png" does work... TDM reports .tga files being written, but .png files end up in the screenshots directory with the appropriate file size (much larger than .jpg, but much smaller than .tga).

They still look much worse than the files I uploaded and re-sized slightly smaller. I think the forum software is re-sizing and re-compressing them upon upload :(

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

How would you go about visportalising a pagan village? I suppose if there's just 3 or 4 buildings it might not be neccessary.

You should break it into sections: guard camp, main village area: well or a river, village VIP area (elder's hut) and so on.

Of course you have to visportallize the building entrances. You should visportallize the junction from section to another. For instance, there would be a short cave section between the guard camp and the main area. Or maybe a simple earth fortification could facilitate a nice compartmentalization? The route to the elder's hut might go between tall buildings or a cliff. Anything that could be visportallifactinized.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

How would you go about visportalising a pagan village? I suppose if there's just 3 or 4 buildings it might not be neccessary.

Of you could do it as in Thief2 in that you have a small area's with lots of dense growth and rocks, that you can hidebrushwork under and then you can visportal etc..

If you only use Ambient Light, then you are correct.

To make daylight look good you need to place real directional lights in places where light sources would bleed or bounce.

You can't rely on one big bright ambient.

Until an SSAO method is added to TDM (???), you will (likely) also need to grime in fake AO aggressively.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I admit it's hard to create pagan houses since there isn't really good reference how they should be, especially in tdm universe. However currently they look kinda lack of something. Maybe some more details such as brushes covered the top?

I don't really know at all, so don't mind my words. :)

Like I said, it's still early work in progress. One of my huts has tree-bark walls so far. I plan on adding some moss and dried grasses on the roofs and floors, etc.

I'm really not going to make this part of the village very detailed or have many AI there. Several of the AI are currently off in another part of the map doing.... something. The huts themselves are not going to be VP'd since they are mostly open-air dwellings. So I'll have to keep things a bit simple in this area. I'm thinking of just a couple AI to look after the bonfire and the shaman's hut. The other details planned are straw beds, a few rough wooden chairs or sections of tree trunk to sit upon, and some food here and there. I still need to work in swamp grasses and a few more trees. There are a couple more sections of pagan area, properly separated and VP'd from this area.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8