The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

is it power of two? And being so few bricks tiling would become painfully obvious really fast.

Mortar is the stuff between the bricks :) (confusingly enough it also means bombing with shells or a vessel used to grind mortar like substances in , lol)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

The texture has a problem in that walls usually do not have the vertical mortar seams one over the other. E.g the next vertical seam should always be over a brick in the row below.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

And now you know why people don't do texture work :)

fixed :) (at least for me, tex work is hard)

Looks better yet.

Still I'd like to see 4 times as many bricks just to break up patterns. I'd probably repeat that 20 times on one wall and just feel that the pattern would be very visible that many times.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Actually its quite a good texture as far as the materials look, I think what people mean is that the image itself is too "small" (= too little bricks inside the image tile, no matter their resolution size), which means it is going to get extremely easy to recognise its pattern in a wall, because of excessive repetition. I dont know what's the general guideline for textures, but I for one find it much better when texturing buildings in the game to have "big" textures (more information inside the tile, less "resolution") - ideally you would have a single image for the whole wall, and there are a couple of those available in TDM already (Im actually using a single texture per wall in a few cases and they look very interesting to me).

EDIT: Just saw Baddcog's post. Think of it like this:

brick_wall.jpg

Edited by RPGista

sorry I don't know good way of making normals. To get that more fleshed out I would need to make a model and render them out...

http://www.cgtextures.com/index.php

(tutorials (upper right)...normalmapcreation from photos...)

good one i think. I normaly create the first layer with njob. But the rest is a good way i think

Edited by Johannes Burock

Hah funny. I am already using this method but I used jsut one value of gaussian blur. Can someone tell me whether the higher number of gaussian blur should be lower or higher in the layer list?

first low pixel blurs, so the details will maintain. After every step you get higher for more and more rough parts.

<p>

http://www.cgtextures.com/index.php(tutorials (upper right)...normalmapcreation from photos...)
That method is not really good for accurate normals, and the same process is made a lot easier by using SSBump Generator (or NormalMap Generator, but there's no official release yet). Just change the option to normalmap, from there it's a nice way to get really fine grained control of all the blending and processing. Work with heightmaps ideally.ssbump generator

@pusianka

There are basically two ways of creating normalmaps: 'baking' it from 3d geometry and converting 2d images called heightmaps. Darker colors of the heightmap are treated as hollows and brighter as bumps. You took the picture and used it as a heightmap. This method will never be accurate because brighter colours don't necessarily represent bumps. I would take the image as one layer and on second layer would paint white spots where the rocks are. Then you can blend both layers, and convert to nice greyscale heightmap. I did many textures this way. Here I painted hollows between rocks black:

95703670.jpg

71421818.jpg

73528524.jpg

stone2ct2.jpg

I use GIMP's normalmap plugin to convert heightmaps.

It's only a model...

flat

I disagree. Extremely "volumetric" textures such as some of the cobblerstone ones are very hard to use, the visual impact of having so much artificial depth into the images and their perfectly regular outlines is a very bad graphical issue which makes them look out of place in many situations.

post-8474-0-97520900-1328385353.jpg

I would argue that bump maps look good when they give "texture" to the difuse image, but not when trying to simulate depth/3d too much, IMHO.

If you are looking for suggestions, I would very much like to have more of this kind of textures - gritty, dirty, aged looking stone work that is common place on medieval architecture, with semi-regular stones walls mixed with mortar (forming a solid shape, the mortar is not sunken like in most of the TDM textures available) - Im having trouble finding subtle stone textures (without drastic bump maps that create way too much shadow and make patterns very visible) with already an aged feel to it (so you wouldnt have to be reusing decals all the time).

Very good cut, noble stone work (notice how they are in fact, always different, never repeated stones because they are not bricks and are not formed in molds):

belmonte1.jpg

Ordinary construction, mortar based construction filled with poorly cut stones (same level, not sunk as in brick construction!):

Aposentados-desfrutam-do-sol-de-inverno-em-Val-dAguia-perto-de-Bragan%C3%A7a.jpg

ss_8dc4fc9b-187b-4f5b-bd69-2f07c1c56a0e.jpg

EDIT: I like Arcturus' texture, I just wish the stones werent so polished, had a "drier" and grainier feel, for example.

Edited by RPGista

I disagree. Extremely "volumetric" textures such as some of the cobblerstone ones are very hard to use, the visual impact of having so much artificial depth into the images and their perfectly regular outlines is a very bad graphical issue which makes them look out of place in many situations.

post-8474-0-97520900-1328385353.jpg

I would argue that bump maps look good when they give "texture" to the difuse image, but not when trying to simulate depth/3d too much, IMHO.

If you are looking for suggestions, I would very much like to have more of this kind of textures - gritty, dirty, aged looking stone work that is common place on medieval architecture, with semi-regular stones walls mixed with mortar (forming a solid shape, the mortar is not sunken like in most of the TDM textures available) - Im having trouble finding subtle stone textures (without drastic bump maps that create way too much shadow and make patterns very visible) with already an aged feel to it (so you wouldnt have to be reusing decals all the time).

Very good cut, noble stone work (notice how they are in fact, always different, never repeated stones because they are not bricks and are not formed in molds):

belmonte1.jpg

Ah now thats whats TDM needs more of, dirty worn pastel stone textures