The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Yes, unfortunately v1.08 will be released in 2013. :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Depends when 1.08 is out. I'd like to get my map as soon as possible. But it's taking longer than I imagined already, lol.

And I hope we get the skybox fix into 1.08, so far I haven't heard much word on it being implemented, and I'm gonna need it. So if that fix is in 1.08 then I can do what I want. If not it'll look horrible and I'll have to build more stuff to block views.

Seems like he's got it set up and it would be easy to do, but he's got it in Doom3, not TDM so who knows.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Depends when 1.08 is out. I'd like to get my map as soon as possible. But it's taking longer than I imagined already, lol.

And I hope we get the skybox fix into 1.08, so far I haven't heard much word on it being implemented, and I'm gonna need it. So if that fix is in 1.08 then I can do what I want. If not it'll look horrible and I'll have to build more stuff to block views.

Seems like he's got it set up and it would be easy to do, but he's got it in Doom3, not TDM so who knows.

Is there anywhere a source code patch that we could integrate into TDM?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I am getting:

We can't show you that page

Our server is having a problem. We're working to fix it as soon as we can, so try again in a few minutes.

possibly Springheel

With my work on the impact sounds and upgrading St. Lucia, I haven't worked on my map since Christmas. :(

recording quality sounds very good to me, nice new mic! I think most of the lines are pretty good, but a couple of the dramatic Benny lines don't seem dramatic enough to me, like he's not being angry or sharp enough. But mostly decent. I love good mics, you so rarely hear them in amateur recordings or home video. We usually just hear the mic on the camcorder which is always crap.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

So for rough recordings how did they sound? obviously I got carried away with the effects on the demon lines..

The human sounds were cool, but I think there was some feel of you forcing them. I mean, forcing as in not being natural. In some lines I could hear your normal voice bounce up briefly and then sink back into the imitated voice. This was in benny2 (the ending of the word recogNIZED) and benny5 (the ending of "I guESS"). Otherwise the imitation held up strongly.

I think you should pay attention to.. the stress/emphasis/accent (I don't know the english word.) I mean the following: examine the way you say things in the average jack vocal set. When impersonating this new voice, try to avoid using the voice pitch you normally would use. Well, not pitch, but intonation. The syllables you put weight on. We all have our own personal/unique way of putting weight on different syllables. Think about Glados in portal: she is very unique due to very odd syllable weighting. If you can put weight on different syllables you normally do, you will push the imitation to the next level.

I think if you can manage to pull that off, it will be really difficult to observe that the new voice and 'jack' are actually the same person. If the player notices the 'jack' in this new voice, they'll instantly get the feeling that average jack is impersonating someone else and the character is NOT an unique one.

I'm not sure if I could put it into words correctly, but I hope this will help.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I think if you can manage to pull that off, it will be really difficult to observe that the new voice and 'jack' are actually the same person. If the player notices the 'jack' in this new voice, they'll instantly get the feeling that average jack is impersonating someone else and the character is NOT an unique one.

Heh, that's the hard part and I know which bits you mean. I don't have any voice training at all, this is just me having a go and even then it was just 30mins of playing with the new mic while listening to the T2 recordings... If I had the lines in writing and wasn't trying to impersonate Benny, I would have been able to do a better job of not sounding like myself.