The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Spawning the terrain in semi-random sections is a clever trick too. We should add a tutorial so other people can use this trick; if you PM me simple instructions & the script, I can add it to the wiki as a tutorial. :)

You could even spawn station stops after certain events, like you board first, wait for a guy to get on at the next station to pick-pocket him, then the final station doesn't spawn until after you've finished the objectives and you can get off.

If you're thinking of mission ideas or just inspiration: there's the T2X train mission (

), and
is a classic adventure game on a train.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

if you PM me simple instructions & the script

I'll do it a bit later, ok?

You could even spawn station stops after certain events, like you board first, wait for a guy to get on at the next station to pick-pocket him, then the final station doesn't spawn until after you've finished the objectives and you can get off.

That's pretty interesting idea, I'll take a note of it. Truly, I don't plan to make stops yet.

there's the T2X train mission

Haven't played it yet, although heard about it many times.

is a classic adventure game on a train.

I was playing this game just when I was modelling the train, so I'm already inspired. That's great game, although I couldn't reach the terminal station.

^ Nice work man, keep it up! ;) Like I said, I like how you modeled the train itself, it feels right, fair proportions and the detailing seems to be going in a very good direction. It would be awesome if we had more variety on the NPCs models... Then you could really populate that train!

90% of the work for the mod has been devoted to the mission contest, but I was watching this tutorial the other day about modeling and inserting models into Doom, the example was a simple cave - this is the model I came up with, going to try maybe this weekend to insert it into TDM (for time trying to get a model in the mod), and see how this looks, hopefully wont be too difficult.

post-8474-0-92784000-1330734762_thumb.jpg

bout time somebody started trying to use projected lights in conjunction with those little lamps. basic big round omni-light, with an additional projected light? looks appropriate. nice one

Edited by ungoliant
  • Like 1

That's a plaster texture that has been around forever, but never been used much. I am more curious about the stove and the pipes - those are unfamiliar.

BTW, nice shot, but overlit.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

bout time somebody started trying to use projected lights in conjunction with those little lamps. basic big round omni-light, with an additional projected light? looks appropriate. nice one

We need more projection lights to match the windows, as it is we only have 4 window texture projection lights and they are all doom3 stock.

Looks great Biker. More new textures or some really good grime work on those walls?

Its a stock 1.07 texture.

But never been used much. I am more curious about the stove and the pipes - those are unfamiliar. BTW, nice shot, but overlit.

The lamp and stove are new I built them yesterday and Badcogg is making a proper model version of the desklamp. The pipes are just patch cylinders with a stock 1.07 texture that was added by you. The shots are over bright as I upped the gamma in the shots so people could see the detail - have darkened them a bit and re-uploaded.

The stove could become a model as well - the round one is fine, but this one's great for a more modern design.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yeah no prob, I didn't even notice it actually lol, I was looking at the lamp in game and editor. In that shot I just quickly noticed it and thought it was the round one.

Can probably set up the stove door as a door entity, then have it spawn attached to the stove entity which also has a fire entity spawn. Haven't messed with that type of stuff much yet as we only have a few things like switches that would benefit from a spawn attach, And with a switch I'm not sure if you could link the base to something (as the lever won't be there until runtime.. Worth a try though.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yeah no prob, I didn't even notice it actually lol, Can probably set up the stove door as a door entity, then have it spawn attached to the stove entity which also has a fire entity spawn.

I have a more upto date version as the one in the map you have isn't nearly as tidy as the latest one I made. I have commited it to the betamapper repo SVN.

Our stock desktop lamp (switchable entity, used in quite a few FMs) has such a projected texture for about two years. I know this, because I added it...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

And I made one for the other skin (purple) for 1.08 ;)

But the one in that pic doesn't have projection does it? Just a candle light source and a regular light source and the lamp shade is casting a shadow I believe.

But I can make the projection tex when I edit it into a model.

The problem with the existing lamp is that it only casts a light up. Everything under it is dark.

The desklamp I made? That one lights everything, the projected tex only projects vertically, but shows the design above and below.

Both skinned versions are in the testmap.

(before 1.08 the lamp base was casting a shadow, but it was only effecting the desk right below if i recall correctly - much like the pic above- however the update will eliminate that when it's on)

But the one in that pic doesn't have projection does it? Just a candle light source and a regular light source and the lamp shade is casting a shadow I believe.

yeah its 2 light sources, one under the shade casting shadow and one above with noshadow - the idea was to simulate as much as possible to have cross between a lamp that resembled what we have in T2 and real life.

The problem with the existing lamp is that it only casts a light up. Everything under it is dark.

thats cos the light origine is in the bottom of the lamp, I moved it up my 32 units and it light stuff below and above - @BC maybe you can fix that model while your at it..?

(before 1.08 the lamp base was casting a shadow, but it was only effecting the desk right below if i recall correctly - much like the pic above- however the update will eliminate that when it's on)

I haven't checked out the new one yet.

I haven't checked out the new one yet.

Don't bother it is way too bright now :wacko:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax