The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Melan: If you want to bring any of these assets (textures, normal maps or prefabs) into TDM before v1.08, you have about 3 days until June 2th. So now would be a good time :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Melan: If you want to bring any of these assets (textures, normal maps or prefabs) into TDM before v1.08, you have about 3 days until June 2th. So now would be a good time :)

All the textures I suggested for inclusions are in Serpentine's hands, and he is the judge over what makes it in and what doesn't. However, I will go over my prefab library tonight, and submit entries which would be useful to have in the core mod (obviously, there are prefabs which are too specific, or too simple, or simply not up to snuff).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

A prefab is a collection of brushes, patches and entities that's saved separately from a level, and imported when it becomes needed. A prefab could be a lot of things - a rounded arch, a small roof, a tower or an entire building, but also an alert system, a functional town clock, or a bunch of AI with preset patrol routes and behaviour (you would only need to drag individual patrol points to their places etc.). It could theoretically be an entire mission (although that would be silly). Basically, it is a way to speed up and simplify the building process. Prefabs are very easy to handle with DarkRadiant. They existed in a more simple form in Dromed ("multibrushes"), but they were often a pain to handle.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

damnit i haven't beaten inferno mode in diablo 3 yet, push it back! push it back!

You can expect at least five or six weeks of testing after that.

I'm pretty sure most of those are already in... ?

Most of them are in; some may have slipped through the cracks. I checked to see which are missing ATM, and am sending you a list in a sec. What matters particularly is a few of the sculpted stone textures from my first two texture packs.

Squeezing in under the freeze, here is another new character that will be in 1.08. The elite citywatch was one of the first characters ever rigged in TDM...you can see him in many of our very early trailers. Now I've finally rigged him to the new skeleton. There's even a leftover skin I made years ago so that they can be used in as regular professional guards in mansions or the like.

post-9-0-26245500-1338427889_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I love how all these old prototypes keep coming to fruition. It feels like you are making good on old promises.

Very cool.

I think the fix list for 1.08 is about to break the record set by v1.00.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yes, that looks good - like real professionals. :)

Edited by Melan

Not sure about the hard edge on the ring torso

I have no idea what this means.

Springheel: I believe he is referring to the triangular strip of chainmail hanging from below the tabard the guard is wearing.

Pic:

post-2023-0-38458200-1338469229_thumb.jpg

Edited by Melan

Oh, yes, I see now. There are probably a few places that could use tweaking, but nothing that should stop it from going into 1.08.

Squeezing in under the freeze, here is another new character that will be in 1.08. The elite citywatch was one of the first characters ever rigged in TDM...you can see him in many of our very early trailers. Now I've finally rigged him to the new skeleton. There's even a leftover skin I made years ago so that they can be used in as regular professional guards in mansions or the like.

what's the point of new skeleton? I realized that very lately and don't know why it exist. Great lookin' skin btw.

The old skeleton was a bit asymmetrical and had other problems our animators at the time didn't want to deal with.

• Like 1

Nice work!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax