The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Xcen, looks very good, the light fixtures for me are too modern, I'd like to see more flames than a lantern type in there, seems older style w modern light, just my initial impression, the archi looks great :-)

I've been playing all of the fan missions this weekend seeing what people have done, I'm amazed how far everything has come. I watched some old game play from YouTube of the original missions, its crazy how far its come. I got overwealmed a bit and didn't know what to build its like a diabetic in a candy store. So I've been working on doing parts of things, an archway, a hallway, simple outdoor, I'm working now on getting the ground to deform a bit better for more realistic, always was amazed at how perfect the streets were clean strait lines... I want more chaos randomness, thank god this editor seems to handle that. So I'm designing in sections now, I'll cut and paste them together, the hardest part is keeping a "standard" and continuity of style, size. So I base everything off the whore model for size and such :-) anyway built some gloomy stairways and such, I'll get something to show very soon. Its now so unlimited its hard to narrow down a focus :-) is there a Max to the #of items other than frame rate, so now I'm just going for it :-)

richard, here is a wiki article about the various limits. MIght have been hard to find, I now linked "Limits" to it:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Limits,_Max,_Min,_Stats,_etc

Apart from some hard-coded lmits (which we already raised in the past, like the number of entities, or work-around, like with SEED), basically it boils down to what the user machine is capable of.

It is outright impossible to build something which runs equally well on all machines, but with various techiques you can achive a middle ground, and with SEED or the new spawargs "min_lod_bias" and "max_lod_bias".

I've also added some words about the renderer limit to the above article. Hope this helps.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@Wrichards, what I recommend from my experience is that you make a contest sized mission to learn the ropes, maybe ~10-15 rooms or so (not always a literal "room" but area around that size where stuff happens, and roads / hallways connecting them). And work out a little story & theme so you have something really concrete to focus on building and not bedazzle yourself.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Demagouge, that was my weekend, TONS of mickymouse rooms just to get it down... worked with making more natural roads and such patch deformations and such, AI pathing room, im accumulating alota stuff ill use later. so now I have thiese pieces on tap for whatever. I did have a flash this morning about making a "Doom-ablo" level haha. mostly spent alota time playing all the missions avail to see what is/was done, that with the inspirations thread... yea im about ready to make a small adventure. all in all Im amazed how much easier this editor is, its a matter of waking up the dead brain cells ;) thanks again to everyone great community and great advice from very talented people...

That looks pretty good but why didn't you use a patch cylinder.?

I did try that - couldn't work out how to get the texture on the inside.

Just occurred to me I should be posting this in the Newbie DarkRadiant Questions thread. I'll copy it over there now.

Edited by simplen00b