The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Looking quite good so far...Love the head!! :)

A couple minor crits: the chest seems to be a bit broad and muscular for something so emaciated, and there should probably be much more ribcage visible from the front and back. His backside is a bit odd-looking too...there needs to be more butt-crack, I think...either that or the pelvis should be more prominent.

Nasty. Nas-ty. :o How much did it take to create the model? It's pretty amazing from my POV (never done any modelling myself).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well for something a bit different to what I normally post in here, I got a request over on ttlg to do some ghost voices. This took about 10min in audacity and the point is I/we should be able to make up a few of our own creature sounds... ;-D My skydrive link below or the attached zip file.

- http://sdrv.ms/NFQDyZ

how dare you org.zip.txt

wow that's some impressive effect biker. I should give it a try sometime. :)

This is actually ShadowHide's work? Wow, I'm impressed! For someone who was very vocal about how much he hates DR and TDM, he sure made some progress. ;)

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I love that first shot.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Progress on the zombie. Wasn't my intention, but I think it might work as a replacement for the D3 zombie with mouth open.

ikjibl40CEfQ7.jpg

I was taking a look at your WIP again (very nice... ;) ), and I just remembered something about Doom in general but also present in TDM, the body extremeties that are a bit out of proportion (bigger), maybe in order to counter lens angle distortion.

Take a look at the guards' boots:

88583759.jpg

Or the original models:

zombies3.jpg

The hands and feet in Diego's model look pretty good and in realistic proportion, but do you think the Doom models are like this on purpose, and that they should be slightly exaggerated in order to look correct in game?

The feet are larger on purpose to correct for lens angle distortion, as RPG says. The large hands on the zombie are just an artistic choice, I think; since they use them as weapons it's nice to make them look a bit more threatening.

Right, I remember something like that. I think it's harmless and pretty easy to make the feet bigger, but I don't really buy that argument.. It makes sense if the player sees other characters from a certain distance and is standing so the the eyes of the player and npc are on the same height. In D3 that may be the most common scenario but I'm used to move while crouching and seeing guards from a distance, so I don't really thing there is any significant distortion in TDM most common scenarios. But, again, increasing the size of the feet is harmless enough, no point in debating over it I think.

oDDity actually changed his mind on that awhile back when he was going to remake all of our existing models. He realized the oversized feet weren't necessary...basically he overdid it. The remakes were going to render all our existing work useless, so he ended up not doing it as I recall...but the remake of the guard he started had normal sized boots. Might still be a pic somewhere on the forum.

Add to that that the objective is not realism - some stylisation is completely okay.