The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

oh yeah i forgot about the brightness issue, seems my monitor is superior to everyone elses (everything is super bright). how do i up the brightness without screwing up quality (too much) i tried using paint(net) but its basicly just a layer of white.

Nvm fixed it

Edited by Theothesnopp

Wow, love the contrast between the blue and orange light. The artistic use of coloured lights is something I'm going to explore more if I ever get back to mapping.

• Like 1

Thanks, all i need to do now is make it playable, there are alot of particles, lights, and tris loading all at the same time. some areas play at 8-20 fps at maximum. even small closed rooms dont go much above 20 fps. is there any articles on the wiki dealing with patchwork in a performance perspective?

I think the particles and lights will make up much more performance problems than the patches

but if you really used as much that they cause problems than you may want to convert them to func_static and set

"noshadows" "1"

"solid" "0"

Bikerdude knows much about performance optimization, so you may ask him for some tips :smile:

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The patchwork in the last shots are very messy, and every each one of them has an unessecary number of verts, they also prevent the "towers" from being enterable.

Figured as much, i'll have to noshadow some of the lights. what about sounds? i think there are atleast 4-5 looping sounds all overlapping each other.

I think i might just bother him a bit later, he has a nack for being helpfull :)

You can reduce the amount of tris the patchwork uses with the patch inspector. It is found in the DR top menus.

Select only one patch. You check the "fixed tessellation" option in the patch inspector and then use the numbers to make the patch look as good as possible with as low tris as possible.

BTW: what's the value of your ambient light in that last screenshot?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

You can reduce the amount of tris the patchwork uses with the patch inspector. It is found in the DR top menus.

Select only one patch. You check the "fixed tessellation" option in the patch inspector and then use the numbers to make the patch look as good as possible with as low tris as possible.

BTW: what's the value of your ambient light in that last screenshot?

There are 2 ambient lights by the boat, and 2 at each end of the tunnels. the exact values i am not sure of.

Edited by Theothesnopp

Hello, im back with my map Castle Mordenstein, im just texture the map with darkmod textures and this will be a "Highway To hell" :-)

I have 3 shots, really nothing special, but it feels to me that i need to post something to encourage myself. I look back and see that so may years as past but the mod still on, i feel great. I hope this time i will go to the end.

darkmod20121219185207.jpg

darkmod20121219185343.jpg

darkmod20121219185432.jpg

Edited by Capela
  • Like 3

Nice to have another mapper around. If you need something to encourage yourself, there is a contest running since this weekend :smile:

Some advices:

- You may not use the same textures on the walls AND the floor AND the ceiling (it looks a bit boring)

- the doorframes may be a bit more detailed as they are rather thick. There are some models where you may wanna look at for inspiration

- the overall design looks a bit blocky. You can use patches and decals to make the place look more organic. But maybe this is just wrong guessing due to the emptyness of those rooms so far

- there are couple of models for supports for example you may wanna take a look at as they are a bit more detailed and save you some work. They can be resized via the "rotation" spawnarg

I hope this doesn't sound harsh in any way. :smile: If you have questions you may wanna post in the "Newbie dark radiant questions" thread in the TDM Editors Guild

I hope you'll accomplish finishing you FM. Good luck.

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I rather like the homogenous texturing - it is certainly a valid aesthetic choice, and has a lot of real-world precedent to boot. The second shot is lit up too well, but I assume this is just temporary.

Anyway, the map seems to be going in an interesting direction, so keep it up!

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Mm.. The low ceilings (or the doorway aspect ratio) generates a claustrophobic effect that has not much been explored in existing missions.

Some texture alignment will do some magic. That is, make the wall texture hit the ground with the mortar, not so that the brick is cut into middle.

Too bad TDM does not have an EAX alternative that would work on all sound cards. The acoustics of such a claustrophobic cellar would be startling and like VENOM said in some other thread: the sound side of the games seldom earn the attention it deserves.

• Like 1

Clipper

Too bad TDM does not have an EAX alternative that would work on all sound cards. The acoustics of such a claustrophobic cellar would be startling and like VENOM said in some other thread: the sound side of the games seldom earn the attention it deserves.

Valid poind there! I remember first Thief game EAX-trailer did come with Creative! Sound Blaster long ago (some neat Bonehoard gameplay). Sound was just fantactic. Wich reminds me, i have Xonar DXG but no EAX support. How TDM sounds on EAX-soundcards, is cellar sounds like cellar and open street like such?

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

How TDM sounds on EAX-soundcards, is cellar sounds like cellar and open street like such?

It is up to the mapper to set the soundroom for a given area. Since many mappers have no EAX cards and TDM does not have EAX-card free equivalent, not many mappers spend time with EAX sound settings.

Here is a delightful example video:

Yep, but I wish everyone could enjoy such sound areas..

• Like 1

Clipper

..That is, make the wall texture hit the ground with the mortar, not so that the brick is cut into middle.

Thats a nice tip thanks. As i said, this is an old map, i start it when the DarkMod was in the begin and used to work with DoomEdit with my own textures.

By the years the structure of the folders, scripts and textures format changed so i decide to re-textured it with mod textures only. For now im only try to full fill the right materials like stone, metal, wood....etc.

cm06.jpg

• Like 1