The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Don't know if you may already know this, but you can copy and paste textures.

If you've put a texture on a face, select it and use copy shader. Paste shader is done by ctrl+middle mouse click on the surfaces you want the texture on.

If you've already textured your map and just want to replace them you may wanna work with the map file directly.

If you for exaple want to replace texture A with B, you just have to search for the paths (seen in media tab) and run a replace all in the map file using a simple text editor. That's maybe faster then doing it all by hand.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It is up to the mapper to set the soundroom for a given area. Since many mappers have no EAX cards and TDM does not have EAX-card free equivalent, not many mappers spend time with EAX sound settings.

Yep, but I wish everyone could enjoy such sound areas..

OpenAL-Soft / EFX will be in the next released engine version.

• Like 2

:huh:

Does this mean we can use EAX settings even without EAX cards?

• Like 1

I'm probably a bit dense today, but what does that mean?

Next release engine version means the next TDM version?

What new audio-things are we getting in that version?

Should mappers prepare somehow so that their maps gets the benefits when the new TDM version arrives?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

OpenAL-Soft

Backstory:

OpenAL was started to be a standard for positional audio, so that different vendors could implement the same features in their own products, but share an easy way to make use of them - like OpenGL. OpenAL however was not intended to be used for effects, and as such did not conflict with Creative's EAX. EAX was/is a fixed set of effects which can be applied to audio being output. EAX however is specific to Creative (or, licensed from). EAX does not really allow custom effects, a bit like if graphics cards had a single 'water shader'. Later on this became a bit limiting and not very exciting, tho EAX versions added more bells and whistles they never really got exciting. OpenAL on Creative has since become very closed off and no one actually bothers anymore, just like EAX.

Since other vendors could not use EAX, there was very little real use of it - many games that advertised it actually used to just roll their own software methods for better control anyway. However EFX was later born to be a more flexible replacement, allowing customization of effects and filters, and an open standard for other vendors to adopt. Sadly this all came a bit late in the game and while it's supported by the main vendor drivers, it's often a limited subset of features. EFX can essentially be seen as a superset of EAX (technically it's missing parts, but no one really uses them anyway).

OpenAL-Soft is essentially a software version of both parts, it takes care of positional audio (and supports many more backends, whee) and can do EFX. Since it's a near drop in replacement, the code change is minimal, and if people want to use their hopefully accelerated windows drivers, they can do that too.

The EAX effects in Doom3 have been changed to equivalent EFX effects, meaning that everyone can hear them, *nix and Mac included. Performance hit should be very low these days, and a few effects might need to be balanced to fit, but all round it should make life a lot better for both devs and players :)

• Like 4

Next release engine version means the next TDM version?

Yep that is correct - sorry about the bad wording!

What new audio-things are we getting in that version?

It offloads all audio stuff to OpenAL-Soft, which has a lot of advantages for *nix players. For Windows folk, it doesnt bring much, besides the effects for erryone. I'm not sure what other features you're looking for?

Should mappers prepare somehow so that their maps gets the benefits when the new TDM version arrives?

None that I know of (that's the aim!), most things should work as a drop in replacement. If you don't have EAX at the moment it would not be a good idea to start throwing numbers out and hoping it matches up later, I guess most editing can happen post-release.

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice explanation!

Those EAX effects will bring a lot of atmosphere into the game as soon as the mappers learn to place those.

It offloads all audio stuff to OpenAL-Soft, which has a lot of advantages for *nix players. For Windows folk, it doesnt bring much, besides the effects for erryone. I'm not sure what other features you're looking for?

I was just wondering whether the overall 3d-position-ability will improve? I've noticed that, using headphones, different games have different quality of 3d-impression. For example in L4D2 I can tell the exact direction where the sound comes from. In TDM the feeling of the direction where the sound originates is much more... vague.

Will this new sound system bring us closer to this?

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The EAX effects in Doom3 have been changed to equivalent EFX effects

Is this on SVN already?

I am wondering if this would make for a good texture...

Without doubt.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It would make a great texture, someone good at bump mapping could really improve it. I simple bump map might look bad due to where the highs and lows are.

I suck at making them so if i was to do it (can't but...) I would probably make a simple 3d model of the basic shape and bake that out.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I am wondering if this would make for a good texture...

It would, and they're actually not too hard to normalmap either.Here's an example that is ingame:

panel_clubbers_lime_before.jpg

panel_clubbers_lime_after.jpg

And that then pops into your SSBump or whatever, and is under over the diffuse (for small details), letting the hightmap give the larger structures.

Is this on SVN already?

Nope, It's ready for the cmake branch - just finishing up the game code fixes before I put that up as a fork for testing. It's slow due to how messy the headers are, but yeah... soon.

@Serpentine: Sorry if this has been asked before, but do you know if can I use OpenAL/EFX with my Creative Audigy 2?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Thats a nice tip thanks. As i said, this is an old map, i start it when the DarkMod was in the begin and used to work with DoomEdit with my own textures.

By the years the structure of the folders, scripts and textures format changed so i decide to re-textured it with mod textures only. For now im only try to full fill the right materials like stone, metal, wood....etc.

cm06.jpg

I very much look forward to this :) Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

The stones on the top of the arches should be in one piece, tho. Otherwise, nice strong visuals!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yes, I quite like the arcade walls, you can see a reference was used in detail and that stands out, which is something I appreciate - only thing I would note is that you could do the same with the narthex wall, it would usually have some sort of a rose window and arched entrance, but that is probably a WIP shot anyway?

@Capela - I like this shot. Not a lot of ornamentation (yet?), but the architecture is great! But my favorite part of the shot is the purple light coming from a side corridor at the end of the hall. Very ominous, espeically if there was some shifting shadow shapes moving along it.

Edited by ungoliant