The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I can't see much but I like the lighting in these shots. The hallway could use some decoration (columns, beams, trims, furniture etc).

That's what I call a typicall Theo map! And I mean this in a good way. :) His last map was built the same way. But it had a very "good-ol'-thievish feeling" because of that! He doesn't spoil the areas with details and models, and that can be a good thing too. I like it :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

@Sotha: Very nice shot indeed. Good lighting and nice decal usage ... as always :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It might be best to split the mission anyway because that will help you tell which half

is causing the dmap problem.

Yes, the campaign feature is a good option here.

Ideally you would not split the missions... but (also) remember that not everyone has the same amount of video RAM.

There are quite a number of potential players who probably have 512MB or 256MB. Smaller missions will mean

that more folks can play them. There is no clear answer though. High end hardware owners will want you to push the limits

and will be disappointed when they see compromises for lower-end hardware. Unlike a professional game company,

you are free to cater to whatever audience you wish.

You might also consult with Tels. The SEED system can combine, reduce, and manage Entity counts and possibly allow you

to continue expanding.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

looks awesome Moonbo,

hard call. find out what the dmap issue is first.

And how would the map be split? Does it make sense where you'd split it? Or can it? Might be best at the church door... ie: first half of map is getting to church, if that involves the church grounds then when they frob the door it ends and the new map starts inside. Not as good as seamless but not too bad. Would be better then being inside the church and having a load zone. At least it would be a distinct border.

-----

Now my screenie feels meager but i got an alley way detailed tonight (along with a few other minor things) (not done yet, the blue and yellow building are still pretty much cubes.)

post-1981-0-59169000-1360381293_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Looks like a nice playable area there Baddcog.

Streets are wide enough to allow passage on the side of at least on patrolling AI and

there are nice shadow zones to scurry to. Basics, for sure... but there are at least a few

maps where you are left to trial and error because a hallway or alley is too narrow to

do any fancy dodging.

Of course, narrow passages aren't always poor design, ...they can just be high risk\reward routes

(as long as they're optional).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I've got a question that I'd love to get everyone's thoughts on. Once I build out the interior of the church I'll be at about the mid-way point of what I've planned out for the FM. Right now the entity count on the map is about 2,500. I've always wanted to make the whole FM a single map so that players could have a seamless experience, but the dmap/map loading process in general is now taking a pretty long time. Also the fact that I have this dmap crash that I can't solve is getting me nervous.

Im helping Moonbo with this map so will help him get the best perf possible. And he has already found the cause of the crash, bloody vert drifting yet again. Atm only Orbweaver is working on this problem with DR, is there anyone else that can help him..?

@Moonbo, 2500 is nothing. A map that Melan and myself are working on current has 4100, but we have hit the upper limit (6000) a few times before Melan decided to split the map.

It's raining screenshots! :o:wub: Let's see those missions finished, people! :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I like it, but I agree authors should feel free to change it more often to give their FMs their own feel, and color palette is a part of that.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

All these pics have got me inspired, and wanting to pitch in :-). This week I've mostly just been trying to fix the map for Bikerdude's (insightful as usual) feedback. So not much new BSP, but lots of moving stuff around and polishing. I still can't find a way to fix the $!@ dmap crash that's affecting the map though...anyways here's the updated rear of the church. Feedback always appreciated:

(PICTURES)

I've got a question that I'd love to get everyone's thoughts on. Once I build out the interior of the church I'll be at about the mid-way point of what I've planned out for the FM. Right now the entity count on the map is about 2,500. I've always wanted to make the whole FM a single map so that players could have a seamless experience, but the dmap/map loading process in general is now taking a pretty long time. Also the fact that I have this dmap crash that I can't solve is getting me nervous.

Do you think it makes sense to split a mission with that entity count across two maps using the campaign feature? The downside is that this will pull the players out of the experience as the second map loads, but the upside is that I'll be able to iterate faster and not have to worry about issues with the second half of the map affecting the first... what do you guys think?

I dont know what it is, but theese shoots all have a very "'Alive Feel".

Weekend in bridgeport, the nobility/middle class host private parties etc.

I dont know what it is, but theese shoots all have a very "'Alive Feel".

Weekend in bridgeport, the nobility/middle class host private parties etc.

My thoughts exactely. They look like an actually living city.

The following shot is from the map I am building for the alternative gameplay contest. Where the wooden structure in the middle plays an important role...

post-2221-0-08722900-1360423902_thumb.jpg

Still wip, I might cut down on the size of those rafters.

• Like 1

I am using 1.7.3 x64, so yes.

Let's be clear, are we talking about the drift caused from multiple saves (which should be fixed) or the issue with rotating angled brushes?

That's what I call a typicall Theo map! And I mean this in a good way. :) His last map was built the same way. But it had a very "good-ol'-thievish feeling" because of that! He doesn't spoil the areas with details and models

Simple is ok. But floor and ceiling trims would make a huge difference and they're not difficult to build.