The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

@Melan

Is this going to be out "soonish" or shall I add it to the upcoming mission wiki?

I need to edit that anyway....

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@Melan

Is this going to be out "soonish" or shall I add it to the upcoming mission wiki?

If soonish means "definitely within a few months", then yes.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

If soonish means "definitely within a few months", then yes.

:laugh:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

This is my latest fireplace that I've built for my mission. I don't know that I want to give this up as a prefab, at least not right away. If there's anyone that does want it for a specific reason then I'm sure I would be more than willing to share. Please ignore the walls, floor, and ceiling. Please note that handles for the cabinet doors (which I would be perfectly willing to share with anyone though they need some touching up atm) ;) Is my image too big?

fireplace02.jpg

prefab that shit!

• Like 2

Hey someTaff I really like the fog skybox in your 08 April 2013 - 04:11 AM shot. Is it set on a mountain?

Add: I see you posted about it here: http://forums.thedar...post__p__300295

@Jaxa thanks for your support, hope to finish this FM soon and make another

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

post-2023-0-81046000-1366042478_thumb.jpg

Penny Dreadful.

Well *that* gives me the inspiration I was looking for in the next section of my map. I would have never of thought that red plaster texture would look that good.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I'm having a very hard time trying to design a building correctly. I have some good ideas, but I just can't seem to scale things as well as I should. I'd be very grateful for some comments on the stairway images I had posted earlier, just to get an idea of what I'm doing right or wrong. I've more or less come to the conclusion that I just need to start it over.

I'm also curious to know if the last fire place I posted appears to be scaled properly at all. Personally, I love the design, but is it built correctly?

grandentrance.png

grandentrance2.png

It seems fine to me, but like someone else mentioned in this thread, try sticking an AI in there and seeing if everything seems to match up with their size. That's the sure-fire way to know if things are scaled properly.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

It looks fine to me. As long as you got working visportals enclosing it, it's a nice open space for gameplay.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yes; sometimes an editor scene that looks meh can look way better with light, normalmaps and all that. Even temporary lighting is good.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Taking the size of the doors as Reference I think that the size is good as it is. I guess the main problem at the current state is, that the room is empty. Once you've added lights, support beams and maybe some banners and pictures on the wall (and plants, this room needs plants), I think it will look pretty good.

Btw.: The architecture is very nice. Don't forget to monsterlip everything properly. The idea with the curved stairs is excellent (never thought about it, I only use patches to create bulged steps).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I appreciate the tips and ideas. I'll be working towards polishing it off and hopefully taking some better screens later today.

While I wasn't able to quite point out what was bothering me about the scene, I spent time studying the scene last night. The biggest concerns that I have currently are:

1) The abrupt ending of the curved stairway to a flat wall

2) The boxy doorways located below the ends of the stairway

3) The curved raised walkway along the perimeter (which is fine to me by itself) prevents most architecture along the curved outer walls, such as windows.

4) Over-all, I'm aiming for 'opulent', but what I've created so far is merely 'functional'

As I mentioned though, I'll be working towards polishing off what I can and maybe I can fix these problems. Over the previous week I had been working towards extending the building back, but I'm less and less confident that the design will work. Nailing this down will help me a lot in that respect.

What I usually do in that situation is to find some reference pictures. Then try to replicate something visible there.

Google image search is your friend. I searched 'marble foyer' as that is the stuff you are doing. Some random shots:

http://bluemarlin.co/images/foyer_marble_stairs.jpg

http://www.nesteamclean.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Marble-Foyer.jpg

http://www.fudatile.com/images/homepage/Entry-Foyer-with-Custom-Waterjet-Medallion-and-18x18-Italian.jpg

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/4faa7f99ecad04f072000007-590/there-was-no-expense-spared-in-this-house-the-foyer-also-has-dual-marble-staircases-with-wrought-iron-banisters.jpg

The internets if full of great mapper inspiration stuff.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I've been down that road already, and actually have all but one of those images already saved in my 'Architecture' directory (along with many others) ;)

One thing I haven't been able to find too much of yet are the support beams you can sometimes find along walls (think Thief 2: Masks), mainly because I don't know what they're called I think... I'm sure I'll increase my search for this and find what it is I'm looking for. If anyone happens to know the technical name for those, I'd appreciate knowing it too.

IF FullOfGreatMapperInspirationStuff = TRUE THEN TheInternets; So I really can't take that route... :P

Not rafters. Perhaps the pillars that would hold up the rafters, I do not know. There may not be ay kind of name for them at all. I was going to load up Thief 2 and take a screenie, but unfortunately, My T2 directory has become corrupted and I no longer have it any more (this is very sad for me). A quick description would be the square pillars along the main hallways in 'Masks ' which I'm certain many players used to hide from the guards patrolling the hallways. That may still be very unclear, but it's the best I can do. Anyhow, I'll just continue to work along and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the help so far though.