The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Yeah, in the time between my last post and this I constructed the basic layout with the arches and the door. If you really want a demo of this picture I will see what i can do..

Well you have 5 days to put me in a state of alert.

I'm a lucky bastard and you know why? Because I left the forum for half a year and I didn't play darkmod for about 1 year and I am patiently waiting for Standalone Darkmod and WHAT I SAW! This is so promising, it's like I am more hyped about getting my hands on the thing then on any other game out there! I haven't even played yet the first mission of Grayman's campaign! Keep up the work, it is so amazing!

Greetings from the Bridgeport Museum,

Thank you for your letter requesting a list of our current exhibitions. Not only can we provide a list, due to a brand new device from the Inventors Guild called a Camera, we can can now take pictures as well!

The Art Gallery

business20130501191425.jpg

A collection of paintings from some of the most talented artists in Bridgeport and its neighbouring cities.

The Weopons Room

business20130501194638.jpg

A collection of the various weopens that the soldiers of Bridgeport have used during its history of battles.

The Library of Historical Literature

business20130501194709.jpg

A collection of literature that documents the history of Bridgeport and its neighboring cities.

We promise to keep you updated with all our future exhibitions and look forward to your visit here at the Bridgeport Museum.

Yours sincerly,

Sir Taff.

• Like 4

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Great shots indeed! Methinks, will the leering be there goodly sir, like polished poles with red velvet chain? And pieces of armor on the walls, shiny

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

Looking great! But don't forget to insert trims on the ceiling in the 1st screenshot and de-stretch the floor texture in the second one.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

@Moonbo: Very nice shots. There is a wonderful particle effect (something with tdm and moonrays or so) that looks really good in front of such moonlit windows. Maybe you already use it and I just didn't noticed it. ;)

In addition I added a fog to my own FM that changes it's color according to the ambient light. It's not a very dense one, so it's more for athmosphere, but if you are going to use fog in your mission and want to have different fog colors without the ugly edges and glitches you get when placing several of them, I can pm you what I have. :smile: (Me thinks fog in a haunted mission is a must).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hey Obs, yeah there are moonrays on each window, but they're slightly transparent (w/ shaderparm7 set to .9). I think it's more obvious in game, but I guess I can just remove that setting if it's not :-P.

Please PM me what you've got, I'm always looking for ways to make the level more atmospheric :-).

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I didn't meant the moonrays texture, I was talking about a particle effect used via a func_emitter. Don't know if you've ever worked with that, but they look quite atmospheric. :smile:

Just to say that im still work on.

I hope next time i will have some shots from the start of this part of the map the to final compose of it, but for now just one more wip shot.

flakebridge201305082219.jpg

Edited by Capela
  • Like 4

This is a very nice shot. :smile: But I would like to give some recommodations.

• It would create more variety, if some of the windows were unlit/moonlit. Obviously only if there are no "real" rooms behind them which are lit.
  • You can find some supports for those windows under models/darkmod/architecture/support. They are called bracket_wooden... . That would look a bit nicer I guess.

Those are only suggestions :smile: Your map.

Well, with my focus on getting my novella out, there wasn't too much mapping this week. Don't know why but I'm really not happy w/ the area in the last pic...any thoughts on how to spruce it up?

darkmod20130322173609.jpg

Well first of all, wonderful work there!

Secondly, you need to turn on Anisotropic filtering, I can tell in this image it's no even on, and relying entirely on Trilinear filtering, your ceiling textures are all blurry, but other then that, what's wrong with it? It reminds me of the mansion in the first mission of T2X.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

My rebuild is almost done. I need to add ai, readables and doors. Here are some screenies.

post-11230-0-24792200-1368113652_thumb.jpg

post-11230-0-78457000-1368113698_thumb.jpg

post-11230-0-33131400-1368113732_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Cool!

But... The interior fog makes it look like a remote wing of the house is on fire or alternatively the house is a residence to a serious chain-smoking cancer-man society.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Very impressive! It is obvious you've done some mapping before.

Some comments.

Images 8 and 13: nice vaulting, but the transition between the vault arch and the wall is a bit jarring. It is easy to mask with structures like this. See the extra stonework at the point where the arch starts. It is easy to figure out some detail to mask the transition:

6777313252_2cd435ece1_m.jpg

Image 21. The radial orientation of the ceiling planks looks a bit odd. One might expect them to be parallel to walls.

Also one might expect there to be some beam support pillars in a vast room like that. Perhaps on the opposite sides around the tree in the center.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Cool!

But... The interior fog makes it look like a remote wing of the house is on fire or alternatively the house is a residence to a serious chain-smoking cancer-man society.

:laugh: Yeah, I'm still adjusting it. (But there is a smoking-room :ph34r: )

@Kvorning: Your usage of light is very good. Also the scale of the building seems just right. It seems quite big for 4-5 weeks only.

Some notes: The street on the first shot looks very wide. All the streets look a bit rectangular to each other.

• Like 1

Very impressive! It is obvious you've done some mapping before.

Some comments.

Images 8 and 13: nice vaulting, but the transition between the vault arch and the wall is a bit jarring. It is easy to mask with structures like this. See the extra stonework at the point where the arch starts. It is easy to figure out some detail to mask the transition:

6777313252_2cd435ece1_m.jpg

Image 21. The radial orientation of the ceiling planks looks a bit odd. One might expect them to be parallel to walls.

Also one might expect there to be some beam support pillars in a vast room like that. Perhaps on the opposite sides around the tree in the center.

Sweet feedback, yeah the archways don't satisfy me yet, but they are placeholders for now :) Definetly gonna add some 'gothic architecture style' to them. As for the inside of the tower, that's the bottom floor, but the top floors have some really nice patchwork. The pillars look a bit odd from that perspective indeed, but the structional support should add up, considering the weight is pretty evenly distributed on the overlaying 5 floors.

I'd love to share a bit of the retouched floors above, but... Don't wanna give too much away :P Added another picture though, from 2 of the top floors, (the 'marble room' has had the textures adjusted on the dome since then.)

But in light of what you've said, i think I'm gonna make some better stonework for the archways and the other flagstone areas :)

Btw, I love Italian and Arabic architecture, but for this map I'm gonna go for something more Roman and Gothic, mixed with steam and electricity.

Edit: Realized the picture didn't show the planks you were talking about, here you go: http://imgur.com/a/Lj8UJ#23

Edited by Kvorning

This is a project I've been working on the past 4-5 weeks, as a suggestion from a friend who introduced me to this awesome mod.

Some beautiful work there! My only suggestion for improvement would be that the streets seem very geometric...very level and straight (or perfectly round). Some unevenness here and there pays off a lot, even if it's just some quick patches on the ground to add a bit of slope next to buildings.

Thanks a lot dude, but yeah the streets still seem too flat to me too. In the 'slummy part of commons quarter', I messed around with an early idea for cobblestone, with high poly patches, due to the small portal areas being able to handle it and lower poly count patches around the keep, due to the huge load. For the more steampunky part of the city, I've basically found myself satisfied with the walls and decoration that comes with that, and purposely left the floor, as I haven't tried using the 'seed' function yet.

I can't wait until I get the street to the part where I go "That's it!" :)

New version of archways done in a few minutes, do let me know what you think. I try to avoid inspiration from other things, to keep it as original as possible, but dammit, Greyman did some bloody impressive design on his dungeon, which I try desperately to deviate from now :D

This is a very nice shot. :smile: But I would like to give some recommodations.

• It would create more variety, if some of the windows were unlit/moonlit. Obviously only if there are no "real" rooms behind them which are lit.
  • You can find some supports for those windows under models/darkmod/architecture/support. They are called bracket_wooden... . That would look a bit nicer I guess.

Those are only suggestions :smile: Your map.

Im glad that we have the same opinion on that...and thank you for the information about that textures.