The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Recommendations are more than welcome. Good feedback man, I'll definitely keep those in mind, at my next pass on the area :) Real rooms are gonna be added later, once the main geometry is added.

I wanna create the interest in the buildings, so the player is motivated to investigate houses for possible break-in points. Some windows flat and static, others can be opened.

I haven't introduced myself to the forums yet, but I'm happy to say I've gotten help from you already, and it's obviously a place for dedicated people :)

This is a project I've been working on the past 4-5 weeks, as a suggestion from a friend who introduced me to this awesome mod.

Here's a gallery of the map, as it currently looks. Not everything is included, as I think it will be best enjoyed, if some of the more detailed environment remains a surprise. Do let me know if any 'red lights' go off, as you look at the geometry and apparent looks of it. Obviously the bare walls around "the keep" are due for some trimming, because I can't stand the look of them :D

Anyway, enjoy: http://imgur.com/a/Lj8UJ#0 :)

Heya, i like the pics you show here, this is a topic to put our wip work and receive some feedback, and to show that there is someting on work, well at least its what i think about this topic anyway.

Many mappers like to put their final work shots, but i realy like to show the things as they are in a certain point, even if they are just sketches from what I know will be the final work. I have to say that sometimes i dont like the feedback, because i say its a wip work, and people seems to see a final work. But in the end im glad people say something about what I put here, in the end we have nothing to loose but alot to win with the feedback comments. B) Just keep on your work, as i said i like what i see.

Heya, i like the pics you show here, this is a topic to put our wip work and receive some feedback, and to show that there is someting on work, well at least its what i think about this topic anyway.

Many mappers like to put their final work shots, but i realy like to show the things as they are in a certain point, even if they are just sketches from what I know will be the final work. I have to say that sometimes i dont like the feedback, because i say its a wip work, and people seems to see a final work. But in the end im glad people say something about what I put here, in the end we have nothing to loose but alot to win with the feedback comments. B) Just keep on your work, as i said i like what i see.

Haha I come from BF3, so the feedback and level of communication here, is vacation on a tropical island. Constructive criticism and feedback, is basically a cheat-code to getting smarter, if the ego is left behind :)

Its impressive to see some stunning mapwork come out of nowhere :-D I wonder how it perfs..

You're too kind :) I'm absolutely in love with patches, and all the graphic options that comes with them, and being 'slightly manically obsessive' about these kinda things, I'm gonna be spending a lot of time still, retouching areas like the other floors.

as for performance, I spent the better part of a week and half of Colombias coffee export, doing optimization, past just vis-portals. I'm doing this on a somewhat old (not too old) computer, with everything on medium, to do some averages for acceptable performance. On the indoor bits, the performance dives down to 20-35 FPS, the area in the keep courtyard is about 30-45, and I hope to be able to improve the efficiency later on, as I get more familiar.

The commons quarter lies around 50-60FPS, which is the range I'd like to see all over. Probably not gonna happen.

Here's an update on the archways: http://imgur.com/a/Lj8UJ#24

• Like 1

Yeah that's looking good! I would suggest a few more decals (dirt, scattered paper, what have you) for variety on the texture faces, but otherwise, this is really solid.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thanks, yeah can't wait to mess around with the 'seed' thing, hopefully I'll get it sat up for easy use. The coming week is mainly gonna be polishing the geometry and adding AI so I can get some game-play in. After that, I'll mess around with fine detail on a larger scale :)

Edit: Figured a video might give a bit more "feeling" of the commons quarter, so

Edited by Kvorning
  • Like 1

@Kvorning: Your usage of light is very good. Also the scale of the building seems just right. It seems quite big for 4-5 weeks only.

Some notes: The street on the first shot looks very wide. All the streets look a bit rectangular to each other.

Yeah the streets in the commons quarter is still very open, but I intend to add awnings and some other protruding additions to the buildings, so it becomes less linear. The first building I made when learning the basics, was about 5 times too big, and had an interior. Was laughing at myself pretty hard when I tested it the first time :P

I'm very fond of the light as well, to be honest. I was trying to get the ambient where I wanted it, and all of a sudden "That's it!".

As for 4-5 weeks, yeah I don't really work with my nerd-outs on healthy schedules ;)

Yeah the streets in the commons quarter is still very open, but I intend to add awnings and some other protruding additions to the buildings, so it becomes less linear. The first building I made when learning the basics, was about 5 times too big, and had an interior. Was laughing at myself pretty hard when I tested it the first time :P

I'm very fond of the light as well, to be honest. I was trying to get the ambient where I wanted it, and all of a sudden "That's it!".

As for 4-5 weeks, yeah I don't really work with my nerd-outs on healthy schedules ;)

Nice work. But im bet that you are not married with a women that think she sings very well and their voice are wonderfull.........>>Jesus not again :blink:

Haha I assumed that it was self-explanatory that this much free-time was the works of a single nerd ;)

Even im in pain right now....she still sing....you realy have talent, and im glad you here working in tdm, in fact im a bit jealousy about how you work so fast, and with quality.....i hope to learn much with you..even at 44. So at least in terms of be a nerd i win :P

Haha I hope she'll sing to you for many years ;). Thank you for the kind words, and as for the speed, I have a genuine interest in this editor, as I haven't done mapping since Crysis 1, which was an immensely fun process too. Being in my 20's I can do the late night sessions with coffee and so on, but I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it, unless they really wanna sacrifice general health, for a free-time project :P

I'm looking forward to learning the rest of this editor with you and the other users, who've already mastered it, so I can give a map in return. Other than the challange, it would be nice to see others enjoy my work once it's done, as I've enjoyed theirs :)

I haven't introduced myself to the forums yet, but I'm happy to say I've gotten help from you already, and it's obviously a place for dedicated people :)

This is a project I've been working on the past 4-5 weeks, as a suggestion from a friend who introduced me to this awesome mod.

Here's a gallery of the map, as it currently looks. Not everything is included, as I think it will be best enjoyed, if some of the more detailed environment remains a surprise. Do let me know if any 'red lights' go off, as you look at the geometry and apparent looks of it. Obviously the bare walls around "the keep" are due for some trimming, because I can't stand the look of them :D

Anyway, enjoy: http://imgur.com/a/Lj8UJ#0 :)

Holy ****, this must be hands down, the most beautiful mapping ive seen on tdm. please finish this, you have too.

Edited by Theothesnopp

Holy ****, this must be hands down, the most beautiful mapping ive seen on tdm. please finish this, you have too.

Haha thanks, I'm sure you're exaggerating, but yeah I'm working on getting AI and objectives sat in, so I can polish the rest of the map.

I haven't browsed so much of the forums, but the stuff I've seen from Greyman is amazing :)

While I think the geometry is great I honestly don't really like the outside lighting much. The lampposts give a too unnatural and too blue lighting. You should perhaps aim for something more de-saturated with the lampposts, or try warm orange. It usually works well against dark surfaces.

The rest looks mighty fine though. :)

Thanks man, but I was actually going for that cold blue lightning from the electrical lights for the sake of atmosphere. Torches gives off a nice warm and dim light, which hopefully should add to the idea that electric lights is a thief's bane, for not to mention that industrialization in theif has a very dramatic and consuming tone.

I've yet to implement parallel lights for ambiance where the primary would be 'moon-pale-blue', and the counter should be brownish-orange. Last time I was messing with it, I couldn't quite get it to work.

But you may have a point, and I'm definitely gonna take it into consideration when I return to that area :)

Personally I like the blue lights of the electric ones. The only thing you may do is to vary them a bit. So some could be more in the violet direction, while others are more magenta or so.

I mean it plays in a world where industrialization is at the very beginning, so noone expects every lamp to cast the same light. In addition, having slight differences here and there helps the player to orient in the mission, what is a great benefit storywise.

Btw.: If the mission is as large as it looks like, don't forget to add a map. Nothing is more frustrating then wandering around aimlessly.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'm of the opinion that warm yellows vs cool blues is part of the art direction when you're giving a scene a character, so it's totally fair for a mapper to pick one or the other to set up the kind of atmosphere they want.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Actually I like the idea of variating the electric lights a bit. I've already made a few a while back, that flickers as if a bulb is dying. A difference in strength is probably what I'd change, but not likely color variation so much :)

As for parallel lights, I read one of the guides on outdoor lightning and was quite watering, though as I said I couldn't get it to work :P I don't expect to use them anywhere else, than where I want to simulate moon/sun lightning.

Some great feedback I'm getting from everyone, and I am thinking of how I can put it to good use.

Oh and yes, I will most certainly make a map, once everything else is in order.

Edited by Kvorning

Yeah I'll get the streets nice and patch in the near future and I'm probably gonna enjoy it :P Just finished this session working on the towers, and updated 2 images to the album. Managed to get the objectives and mechanics working as well, so it's well on track for a "playable" version :)

One little thorn though, does anyone know what kinda stim or response I need to make the player drop what he's currently holding in front of him, when the object enters an area? My brain is oatmeal at this point, and it's bit of a needle in a haystack to me.

Edited by Kvorning
  • Like 2

If you don't already have an idea of how to fill the middle, I would suggest adding a building there.

In addition you should do something about the streets. Depending on how you want to proceed with this area, I would suggest one of the two following possibilities.

• if you have something big in the middle that covers the floor (like the building proposed), it should be enough to bulge the floor
  • if the texture on the ground will be mostly visible after you additions in the center, you could add pathways (don't know if this is the right word) similar like Springheel did it in his FM

And don't forget to add supports under the outwards ranging windows. They look quite unstable at the moment ;)

Anyways. The composition looks quite good so far, although you could use a higher variety of textures. Or you add decals to create some differences.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I really like those kinda buildings, which is 'kinda' what I had in mind for the slummy parts of the 'Commons Quarter'. But I found along the way, that it was easier to give the illusion of roofs, rather than actually having them, so i pressed everything in tighter in narrow streets, build tall and compartmentalized it. With actual roofs it looks way better from a distance, but it makes portal'ing difficult.

Your awnings are awesome, and I definitely gonna need to do something like that, and hope I can get it back in your direction :)