The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

@Sir Taffsalot: Yes indeed, but im just try to finish the buildings and later i will work on those details, after all doing what you are saying its what satisfies me most, i hope next time i have a more detailed work to show.

@Kvorning: Really nice work and damn you work fast.

@Moonbo:This is not the ambient light i will have that for indoors, for this outdoors im using the biground light one or two per area im working, i just get luck when i was try diferents colours. But will be a little more dark in the end. And it only works if my thief dont go to high, otherwise i need to change tactics...

Edited by Capela

I really hope these see the light of day (so to speak). Some beautiful work there.

@Bikerdude

It's a bulgy patch(cobblestone_large_uneven__darkgrey_wet) with max 4 subdivisions, with a water brush(water_blurred) between the high and lowpoints, and some random patches of dirt, scaled to 0.3(dry_earth_stones02_dark). There's since been added a fog volume to give it that "damp" feeling:P

@Capela

I was literally sitting from 20:00 to 17:00, though obviously with a few breaks. I think having the free time, more than the tempo :)

@Springheel

At this point I can't imagine myself abandoning the project, even if my initial motivation went away, so not to worry! Once I'm satisfied with the outcome, It'll be here for you all. Though it's likely to be a couple of weeks still, being optimistic :P

Edited by Kvorning
  • Like 1

@Bikerdude

It's a bulgy patch(cobblestone_large_uneven__darkgrey_wet) with max 4 subdivisions, with a water brush(water_blurred) between the high and lowpoints, and some random patches of dirt, scaled to 0.3(dry_earth_stones02_dark). There's since been added a fog volume to give it that "damp" feeling:P

Dont suppose you could do me a prefab of that..?

@Capela

I was literally sitting from 20:00 to 17:00, though obviously with a few breaks. I think having the free time, more than the tempo :)

You were working on DR for 21 hours?!?! Thats not healthy. Get some sleep.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

You were working on DR for 21 hours?!?! Thats not healthy. Get some sleep.

Yep. With that rate you'll be burned out in no time. After a burnout, nothing relating to the thing that caused the burnout is fun anymore.

Rest. Go out and have a walk.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Over my dead body! Oh wait...

Nah don't worry, I take breaks and exercise and unwind, but sometimes it's hard to stop when there's stuff to do. Sometimes you also gotta stop when you just aren't doing anything though. As I've said before, I wouldn't recommend this work schedule to anyone :)

Man, I so wish there had been cool things like TDM back when I was in my 20s and had seemingly endless time and energy to burn. Instead I was making ascii graphic menu screens for BBSs with about three dozen members. :P

Taking a break this weekend. Just tested the map on a friends computer, which is a bit more high end. Running very smooth with frames between 55 and 60 capped, while mine drops to about 25 on the toughest places. Still wanna do some more optimization, should there be others with worse computers than mine, but all things considered, I'm gonna keep eyes on the ball :)

Edited by Kvorning

So I finished all of the AZ tutorial and I'm currently continuing to play FM's that have been released by other glorious members of this blessed community.

I've got a story in mind and trying to flesh it out. Playing as many, if not all, FMs I can because I don't want to tread where hath been trodden.

Some really excellent work in this thread and much to be learned for sure. I'm silent reading if you don't hear from me, gatherings all the gatherings.

I'm coming to two titles though I'm leaning towards the later:

5 Houses of Cards

or

A Midsummer Nights Thieve

Edited by Lux

Do you mean like the church area? I deliberately left them looking flat so I could put plant decals on the sides. And although it doesn't show up in the screenshot the pillars have chuncks taken out of them to make them look like ruined pillars of a destroyed building that are in an outside area. That the walls and pillars and walls are bland compared to the church is an artistic choice to make it look like an outside area.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

@Capela

Man, I got the sun in the side of the monitor, but I can still tell that it's looking gooood! :)

Here's a little peak more of what's going on in my end. I can't get an in-game shot atm., as I'm remapping some early stuff, and there's some huge leaks, but it's still coming along nicely.

Edited by Kvorning
  • Like 1

The *easiest* way to make things look old is to add decals. You can also add some cracks in the walls here and there or similar. Good work so far, looks really cool.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter