The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

@Capela

That shot looks really good man, don't give up! You're doing better each time, and that means you'll edit better and faster each time you do a pass, over your map.

Maybe focus on select things you're not satisfied with. Small details here and there, off the top of your mind, until it's at ease :)

When working with sky portals I've discovered that the engine renders all caulc as sky portal IF there is at least one face with the Sky portal texture in the same leaf/location as you're currently in. And caulc surfaces doesn't generate tris as one may see with r_showtris 1.

Therefore you don't need to paint the whole "ceiling" with skyportal, you just need a small caulc box in the air with one side sky portal, one box "here and there". :)

Another thing is that caulk doesn't cut into func_statics. This way you can have the "skyline" much lower then the actual rooftops are. I've posted an example map for kvorning on page 179 or so that shows this. It's also described on the city visportalizing tutorial on the wiki. :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yeah don't give up Capella, it's looking really good :-). If you're really pressed for time, just make the FM smaller in scope so you don't need to make many more areas. That'd be better than giving up all the great work you've done up to this point.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

After some advise i just change the lights that where doing the moonlight effect to noshadows and my fps come to normal.

But another time it seems that i choose something to big to work for the free time i have to work on this project, im realy think to give up.. :blush:

flakebridge201305272009.jpg

Those street moonlights are hungry, got to trow it it out too. Will try to simulate one with blueish ambient and shadow-shaded patches.

A little break helps to regroup. Or adding ambient sounds- takes no effort but gives lots of fun. Adding AI makes fm alive and is fast. Also switching to interiors or otherwise, switching to another part of the map.

Also a little progress is still progress. Small day to day brushwork will do its trick well!

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

@ Capela: Your first FM is always going to be your hardest because your learning everything as you go along. I can tell you from personal experience that once you get that out of the way then mapping becomes a Hell of a lot easier and less time consuming. What used to take me a week to do when I started mapping, I can now do in one night.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

@Capela Don't give up! These shots have all been excellent, you are doing a good job. Maybe try to focus on the core idea and areas, and add extra content when that's already working?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@someTaff: Those shots look pretty good. Nevertheless I think you should add some frames or similar to the doorways, even if there are no doors. ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@Moonbo, it's hosting issue maybe

@Obsttorte, will see to that closer to completion

@Pusanka, no loot yet but there will be

scr_0857.jpg

Edited by someTaff
  • Like 1

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

ERH+: Streets are a bit rough, but the rest is really impressive - with a lot of multi-level structures! How did you do the waterfall?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved