The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Weird, I can still see it, but I've updated the link in any case now =)

@Biker

Thanks, I was gonna go for the yellow tinted background, but figured I might as well give it another nudge in the style of the map. Only the hand isn't from in-game, so I'm quite satisfied as well :)

Edited by Kvorning

Haha, the wording is still a bit "off", so I'm thinking of changing it to "a great thief" =). Hopefully I've made the visual ques good enough, for you guys to feel 'great' when you get to play =P

Edit: Changed the wording slightly, think it's nailed, as it now referrers to playing on the hardest.

Edited by Kvorning
  • Like 1

Soon my precious... Soon!

yozuor1.jpg

I'll be honest, i like, it and im glad that someone appearing with some ideas and concept art diferent from old style Thief Games, except the game play. I always try to get out from anyting that is part of the lore of Thief games, maybe thats way i dint release any mission to this date, dont expect me to use the crystal lights, thats a mark trade from original thief games that i refuse to use it. And in wiki Bridgeport, thats a trademark of the makers of thief, im against all this references, this is a mod "inspired by the Thief series" and its almost one step to be an independent full game from that series.

dont expect me to use the crystal lights, thats a mark trade from original thief games that i refuse to use it.

Glowing crystals and mushrooms have been used in virtually every underground setting I've ever seen, long before Thief.

And in wiki Bridgeport, thats a trademark of the makers of thief,

:huh: Bridgeport does not come from Thief.

I highly doubt anyone actually think you're stupid :P

As for the crystal lights, I'm with you on that. I don't like crystals conveniently glowing, for the sake of a player being able to see something. In Crysis they did manage to make some amazing caves, but then again. 'Aliens'...

There's a game called "Dear Ester", I can recommend to anyone who'd like to see how glowing caves are done with perfection. The cave design in that game, considering it's HL2 engine I think, is just unbelievable. The sad nature of the story, along with the beautiful environment make hell of an impression after.

As for a thief based game, I prefer the steam-punk fantasy with a believable level of realism, simple electricity and rough industrialization.

On underground light sources:

If you don't like mushrooms or crystals as light source... Why not make cracks in walls or ceilings, from which strong light beams penetrate into the cave darkness. This was done in LQD caves and it is very easy: you pull your patch cave wall so that the crack is filled with a brush with skyportal texture. Then add a light source emanating from the hole along with func_static beam. One could examine LQD.map, the underground river room to see how it is set up.

I suppose the effect is even more impressive if there was daylight outside. Strong contrast with the darkness of the cave and daylight beam. Add some dust particles along the light beam and avot!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Reading that, I realized I haven't even used the particle editor yet. Would be nice with a bit of dust in certain places and whatnot.

Yeah I love the concept of natural light finding a way through cracks, rather than mushrooms and crystals. Maybe use water to reflect it as well, for a dim ambient effect?

On that note, I have thought about light seeping through uneven floorboards from the room above, mixing with floating dust and cobwebs. God. Now I HAVE to do that.

Edited by Kvorning

On that note, I have thought about light seeping through uneven floorboards from the room above, mixing with floating dust and cobwebs. God. Now I HAVE to do that.

I was just thinking of this as well a few days ago after watching the beginning of Evil Dead 2013. The group goes down to a cellar room where this is occuring and its done really nicely and I visualized it in TDM, would be a really neat effect.

Speaking of details, does anyone know if there's a rubber surface? I can't find one, even in the doom files.

There was rubber mats in the submarine cave in The Metal Age, so was wondering if anyone brought that material into The Dark Mod.

Hey all, im looking for a fountain model thay have alredy water animations, is there something around or i need to work the models that existe???

Thanks

flakebridge201306111818.jpg

Hey. I've used the same fountain model in my first FM Old Habits, and Bikerdude created a nice water effect for it. Just take a look and copy what you need. :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter