The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Thanks for the feeback guys. With both Obs and Melan saying the shot reminds them of dromed...do you guys have any suggestions for how to make it a bit less retro?

@Sotha, hm, okay I might try making some arched niches.

@Obs, The screenshot is from my laptop and it's about accurate to what the performance is on that machine. On a desktop though the performance is better.

@Melan, I actually don't remember seeing those rooms in Disoriented :-O, I guess I wasn't being observant. I think I got initially inspired with the whole light from the ceiling by playing 7SoM (where it's harder to avoid :-P). I'll tell you though, I'm always opening up RttC and Fisaco on Fauchard to see how you did things, really masterpieces!

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

do you guys have any suggestions for how to make it a bit less retro?

Basically they look a bit cube-like. As Sotha already stated, it helps to add geometry that breaks this up a bit. Thos does not neccessarily have to be very high-detailed. For example you can add some cube-shaped pillars in the edges of the rooms, let the lower part of the walls stand out a bit and/or add some small niches etc...

It's basically about drawing the players attention away from the basic geometry of the room.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thanks for the feeback guys. With both Obs and Melan saying the shot reminds them of dromed...do you guys have any suggestions for how to make it a bit less retro?

No! It reminds me of my own construction style, not specifically Dromed. In other words, I like the scene.

I'll tell you though, I'm always opening up RttC and Fisaco on Fauchard to see how you did things, really masterpieces!

One of those is a horribly performing map rebuilt and greatly overhauled by Bikerdude; the other is a speedbuilding exercise. Neither are projects that should be considered exemplary. (Of course, if they help you improve yourself, feel free to use them - but I wish my campaign work, which is where the real effort and passion went, was already out :ph34r: )

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• One of those is a horribly performing map rebuilt and greatly overhauled by Bikerdude
  • I wish my campaign work, which is where the real effort and passion went, was already out :ph34r: )

• There will be a few tips in there then on how to VP a map that wasnt designed from the start with them in-mind. (Melan wasn't to know and I volunteered to do the work)
  • hey, just come back to it when your ready :-)

The second shot lookes bloody awesome. Very well done :smile:

That's really something.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Whoo! Very nice! It is surprising how much it improves the scene if you just break some flatness a bit.

You might want to light those niches up. I don't see the whole room, but gameplaywise it is maybe too dark for interesting gameplay. Maybe a holder with a hanging light in the corner between the niches, or more light seeping from the top window. Somekind of spot-light (coupled with a f_s light beam) aimed at the niches from an interesting angle would probably look cool.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

@Johannes: Is there actually something like a rough release date. I always see you uploading extreme good screenshots, but I would like to see those scenes in move :P

I haven't been a member here long, Bikerdude, but tHAT's clearly a lie. :P

EDIT: Sorry man, I was being facetious, I wasn't implying anything :P ...text never comes across like people talk, I wish I'd realize that.

Edited by Lux

Hi guy's,

I'm currently working on a squeal to my first mission Solar Escape 1. Not surprisingly it will be called Solar Escape 2. :rolleyes:

What I want to do: When the player holds a scepter out in-front of them like grabbing within a trigger clip area, the player is teleported to another area.

I thought about just making it happen when the player enters the clip while having the scepter in the inventory, but it sort of detracts from the story done that way.

I've got a info_player_teleport where I want the player to teleport too. I have a nodraw clip at the moment from where I want the player to teleport from. But the player must hold the scepter out in-font before the teleport is triggered.

Any ideas as to how I can do this?

Sorry moving to newbie thread.

Edited by Tr00pertj

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Let the trigger target a target_callscriptfunction entity. Set the key "call" "checkForScepter" on the latter.

In your maps folder create a file called mapname.script (replace mapname by the name of your map). Insert the following code:

void checkForScepter()
{
 if ($player1.heldEntity() == $scepter)
 {
sys.trigger($teleporter);
 }
}

This code assumes that the scepter's name is scepter and the info_player_teleport is called teleporter. If the names should differ, change the code appropiatelly.

EDIT: Such questions belong to the newbie dark radiant forum.