The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

There's quite a bit of flat ambient light in those shots. I think you need to dial back the light radius a notch and add a few decorative

ambient lights. I guess you could scale the brick texture on the columns to a slightly smaller size too.

Look at me being all critical and stuff like an FM author... back to my armchair in the peanut gallery... :)

Looks pretty cool regardless of the few quibbles.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

To me this looks awesome. Smaller light radii may be a good idea indeed, as they also will let the scenery look a bit more creepy, I guess. What you could do is to add some small details like cracks in the floor and the walls etc. to make it look older.

Anyways, good job. Can't wait to play it. :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

On screenshot 2 and 3 you have almost completely flat ceilings, maybe this 90 degree angle between wall and ceiling looks too simple (trimming on whole length), or you need there few thick beams or sculptured supports.

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

It looks absolutely fantastic, Moonbo! Wow!

I think, except for the light radius thing, everything people have mentioned will go unnoticed while playing if there is a good story and the player is in these areas, "in search of something", and has that focus in their mind. The environment kind of melts away when I'm playing while keeping my objectives in mind or thinking about the story.

The light radius thing kind of depends on how you've set up the area in story/readables and the players mind. If the story supports the gloom/old/eerie then yes, smaller light radii would be good. If the story supports current "goings on" in the area, like its not abandoned/haunted/ancient/etc., then better lit areas may be something the current AI occupants desired. Its your call.

It really comes down to, "what do you want for the feel", or "what have you set up for the feel of the area through the story".

Either way, IMO, the story is what will carry the player along and any minor niggles will melt in to the background. There's no such thing as perfect!

We wants to play the precious! Can't wait for release.

Edited by Lux

Thanks for the feedback all! I'll go ahead and try lower the radius of the lights, add some more detail, and cut back a little on the texture variety and see how it goes :-).

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

TDM's ai is only getting resource hungry if they are alerted. As long as you don't do so, you can have quite a few. And if you disable the ai completely as well as shadowmeshs and collision detection, there is actually not much to compute.

How are there so many AI without TDM crashing to a halt?

They are not actually AI. They are just models playing the 'walk' animation without any thinking, or collision detection. They'll even walk though walls if one is in their way!

Looks nice. A little suggestion, though. You should increase the texture scale on those stone walls. Try scale 1.0

I played around with this a bit and they're at .3 I believe. The stone size compared to a guards hand is about right. .5 is too big IMO and 1.0 would be way big.

The ones on the arch brush could be larger though.

What do you find unappealing about it?

Edited by Lux

Large surfaces textured with low-scaled textures look easely repetive. It also looks a bit strange having such a giant wall made out of tiny stones.

Don't these gates usually have horizontal bars too? It looks a bit strange when the gate is a series of single vertal bars coming out of a tube in the ceiling.

Also, the ultra-sharp edge between the wall and the arch looks a bit problematic.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

@Sotha

I haven't trimmed the arch edge yet. The geometery is completely unfinished. I was just showing the gate.

I've seen gates with no horizontal bars before. The idea is that the "spears" retract in to the metal tubes through the gate mechanism. Horizontal bars would not allow this to happen, and yes, the top tubes are large enough for the large parts of the "spears" to enter.

I could lower the bar group in to the ground an inch or two which would give the mechnism more horizontal rigidity. Sounds like a good idea. Maybe even make some roundish capture holes on the bottom iron strip for the tips to go in to.

@Obsttorte

I still don't understand what you're saying (except for the top of the arch). The stones aren't tiny. Most of them, if they were in front of you, are larger than a standard brick by todays standards.

That being said, I'll play around with it a bit. Its not final by any stretch of the imagination, I'm just deciding on textures for the streets/buildings and adding detail as well.

Edited by Lux