The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Thats cool man - a tower like that could use a flag or even an archer, or a torch, something to bring out its shape or its use (take a look at the strong walls in Heart of Lone Salvation, those were brilliant). That outpost looks hard to pass by, dont forget to add details and imperfections when the time comes. ;)

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

Thats cool man - a tower like that could use a flag or even an archer, or a torch, something to bring out its shape or its use (take a look at the strong walls in Heart of Lone Salvation, those were brilliant). That outpost looks hard to pass by, dont forget to add details and imperfections when the time comes. ;)

That's an excellent idea! I'm going to add some then repost it :) Thanks

Looks good Tyler, the only big thing that stood out for me was the ceiling texture in the second pic - the tiling is very obvious there and it's not clear how those big bricks could support the ceiling. Probably making cross-beams might fix that (and add more detail at the same time). Anyways, you can go crazy adding detail, as long as you're consistent with the quality level across the map people probably won't even notice after a while :-).

Edited by Moonbo
  • Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I noticed that about the roof as well Moonbo and am going to add a beam to support it or maybe even change the roof to wooden.

I find the hardest part of mapping is picking the right textures and even a simple change can make the world of difference. But that's why I post screenshots here, so I share part of my progress and get some advice from everyone :)

Hey Tyler,

Well since you asked :-P. Why not try "long_cracked_blocks", in the brick family of textures, it might fit for that ceiling.

For the updated pic, the tiling on the castle wall texture is very obvious, mostly because the wall is big & flat. You might try to break up the lines of sight by placing some flags/arrow slits on the castle walls, or even just by hanging a lantern off a jutting stone on the wall. If you were really ambitious you could also try to create some sort of protrusions that bulge the wall inwards at intervals. Anything to create contrast and to break up the uniformity. Keep in mind though that the appropriate level of detailing is really in the mind of the beholder. It can become a real time sink if you're not careful :-).

And keep up the good work! I'm really looking forward to playing The Accountant.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

I think the gates in the 2nd and 3rd pics you've linked don't look like gates because there is no way for them to be raised?

If you're going to have a cross member for horizontal rigidity on the gate then there must be a "pocket" in the ceiling for the entire gate to raise up in to. This detailing makes the gate look like a functional gate.

I opted for no horizontal cross-member and so I have sockets in the floor the tips of the gate bars can go in to which gives the gate a more solid look. With the cross-member like you've used, you don't need this however there is no way for the bars to go up. The cross-member will hit the ceiling arch.

If its not a gate and just decorative bars sectioning off the area, then disregard this post, Moonbo :)

The shots look great other than that. Very excited to play through this!

I still haven't gotten the textures around the gate sized correctly and I don't have the arch trim on yet but I did revise the gate.

vfat2_2013-08-17_07.32.53.jpg

Edited by Lux
  • Like 2

@moonbo

The shots look great. Only comments on the library:

1. Yeah, darker wood for the shelves may look better.

2. Have some ladders (or something) around to make the higher books accessible.

3. Personally I could never think a big library would ever be 'totally out of place', but it could depend on the occupant of the building and why they have such a big book collection. If it's just a display of wealth, that's fine. If it's a display of the owner's dedication/obsession with finding out hidden knowledge (maybe to achieve some hideous power, or to learn how to combat a hideous power), then the library can become a character in itself. (Best example I can think of - and possibly the most epic library ever - is in DrK's T2 FM 'Ink & Dust' - sample pic here, but even that doesn't really give you a true sense of how huge it is).

NB: May be overthinking this. :wacko:

@nbohr, that's a great idea. That particular model doesn't have an alternate skin but I'll try to use my very limited GIMP skills to try and make a darker version.

@Lux, yeah those are just decorative gates and aren't intended to move :-).

@simplen00b, ladders are good, I like the idea of going for a musty, darker look and I'll give it a shot.

-Sun Myung Moon

@Moonbo, whether they're "intended" to move or not, they should appear as if the "can" if they are gates. Other wise, if they're only dividers, I would remove the pointed ends from them and just join the cylinder patches with the floor. Put an escutcheon there if you like, or not.

Edit: An escutcheon is a decorative plate at the base of a pipe where it comes out of a wall/floor/etc. Sorry if that was unclear ;)

Edited by Lux

Time for a little update.

A while ago I've posted screenies on two large missions I've been working on. However, I lost a bit interest in doing them but could need a large environment for my Unusual Contest Mission and didn't want to throw away more than three months of work, so I though about taking the best parts of those two maps and merging them into a new one.

The following two shots are some work of this new map were the old ones should be included into. This is very basic work with no lighting, far from beeing finished. In the end this will be a mission where I've invested 6-8 months into, not completely sure about the real amount, but definetely several houndret hours.

I hope the result will weight the time invested :)

post-11230-0-00138000-1376769124_thumb.jpg

post-11230-0-87220800-1376769132_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hey Lux,

I see your point, but while they're not gates I sort of like how they look now. If anyone else brings it up when I get into beta-testing I might change it then :-).

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

Just an update on that library shot. Here's the same angle w/ some more detail, darker bookshelves, (and a ladder :P). The effect is subtle but I think everyone's suggestions were right on the money. Any more crits appreciated:

Original:

xn75.jpg

Updated:

qx5a.jpg

Edited by Moonbo
  • Like 1

-Sun Myung Moon

@Moonbo. Excellent, man. I was just sharing my opinion. You know what they say about those though, opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one! :P

Everyone walks their own path. Its great to see you're sticking to your guns and have a clear vision of what you want.

Edited by Lux

<snip>

Those look fantastic! I especially like that second picture, has a really good feel to it :)

@moonbo: definitely looks better; the thing that strikes me now though (sorry) is that the books are set quite far back in their shelves, which means that, near the top of the bookcases, the main thing you can see is the underside of the bookshelves rather than the books. Which may (may) be less interesting visually - ???? Jussathought. Wouldn't worry about it if it's a lot of work to change. :)

• Like 1

Nice work on the moonlight, but do you mean the whole yard to be devoid of shadows?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved