The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I'd go with the colour scheme and lighting looks suitably foreboding -

' An abandoned underground chamber where a secretive Anatomical society/guild performed macabre experiments on the forgotten and the unseen. Those poor souls who society has cast into the underbelly of the city and who's existence is marred by hunger and disease. Such lives are horribly miserable, but for even lives such as these to come to such a grisly end is enough to send chills down the back of even the most hardened and stout among us. '

I think there is a gravity spawnarg on ai which should tell them where "down" is, maybe that helps.

Yeah, that's how I got them to stay on the walls. It's just tricky getting them to move properly. Assign any to a path and then aas48 breaks. I had them on animal patrol in an rectangular room, before that tunnel in the screenshot. They tended to migrate toward one end of the room and at ceiling level. I was testing if a tunnel shaped room would allow better movement since there were no corners to get stuck on. But even without a path, it's still cool to be able to stick AI on the ceiling and walls.

They'd likely need to be mostly for decoration, or aas will break. But I could picture a "Constantine" type mission, with strange geometry. It could have an AI seated at a table on the ceiling, etc. It would be interesting to see if it could target path_anim without breaking aas32.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Very nice. On the scene in the third shot you'll have to fit the plaster textures, though. But it looks very promising thus far. If performance is Ok by now you may think about adding some patchwork to the streets, so they are not that even. This will make things look a bit more authentic. In addition, althoughyou have a full moon in the background, there does not seem to be any moonlight in the city itself.

However, keep going on with your good work.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Another fine example of modular building?

This does not look very modular to me. Also, we didn't have much of such things by now. There were some intermediate approaches like Sotha's last FM, but nothing that was mainly based upon the usage of modules.

Actually, my nightmare screenshot is almost fully modular, see the image: it consist of only two different modules, A (corner) and B (wall/portal).

G9hS70B.jpg

The floor is sealing worldspawn and the ceiling dome is non-modular, but could easily be cloned to be used elsewhere.

The mission will be built with full reusability of every part. Each wall piece is a permanent .ase model.

What this means in practice, is that ANYONE could insta-build such rooms and corridors after I release my map. All they gotta do is design the location and surround the pieces with sealing geometry. Easy peasy.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I thought he was referring to Shadowhide's shots.

Hm. They do look like they could be very easily modularized, as seen in the second image: many recurring pieces.

The second last image, however, reveals that modularization is not used as things are apparently built in passes: the houses don't have windows yet.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Playing around with Sculptris, a free 3D Sculpting program. Just fun, nothing serious. But the handling is definetely pretty easy.

post-11230-0-44151000-1380873115_thumb.png

• Like 4

That's not bad for a gargoyle head/weird archaeological artifact object...

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

afaik it exports primarily to obj or zbrush proprietary format, and then needs to be converted later to something else through another app. I had to go through that procedure when I was sculptrisizing some cave model stuff. interface is very user friendly, great for organic type models.

It exports to obj only. But one could use blender to convert it to ase or lwo.

I didn't go through that converting stuff deeply right now, I was just playing around as said.

The cool thing is that it is extremely easy to learn, everything is basically self-explainatory. Will see if I get a model to be usable in TDM.

One step further :)

post-11230-0-94280000-1380897136_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I actually run into a little problem. I created a custom texture for it, which perfectly shows up in DR (there is no editior image), but the model is not drawn in DR. I think I had this once, but for the hell of mine I can't remember when or what the problem was.

Any ideas?

Allright, got it working.

post-11230-0-60460000-1381004966_thumb.jpg