The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Ok. So far I learned everything from creating and texturing the model til getting it into TDM. Now I only have to find out how to easely scale the model in Blender, and I can upload a tutorial for this. :)

I may note that the above model took me roughly 90 minutes (including texturing, excluding error-searching). So it is really easy to learn and pretty fast.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

:D I take this as a compliment

I suppose he could easily decimate it in Blender to get it into sane tris levels. Ditto for low poly shadow mesh.

Once all that is working, it would be great to have a sculptris-> TDM tutorial.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I realize you're just tinkering but how many polygons are we looking at here? If the silhouette and the self shadows are any indication then we are all doomed. Tri'lyeh, eater of frames hungers. Hide your GPUs.

This model has roughly 10000 Tris. The tris count can be reduced in Sculptris. I didn't look much into the shadowmesh right now, so I guess it just takes the whole mesh as a shadow mesh, what would be bad. But so far I couldn't realize any performance impact. Will investigate.

Creating a simplified shadowmesh using Sculptris is no big deal. The same should apply to collision. Will upload a vid this week.

10000 is a bit high for TDM. Even our character models are about half that.

Yep, I know. It was just a test, though.

Very nice work, lots of experimenting from you. Seems like you are also branching out to several fields, which is pretty cool. For those that dont know it, sculptris has a tool for selective decimating that works quite well. No problems there. Though nowadays, unless you are going for a full blown new character or something complex, you can get many free models around as starting points, rather than manually creating it from scratch. It can save a lot of work. But thats beside the point, have fun learning how to model stuff (not bad at all already).

I love sculptris! it has everything I like in a 3d modeling program: simple, with an interface that helps you, uncluttered, without useless features... It's just awesome.

It's somewhat limited though. Better than that (but not free) is 3d Coat, it does the modeling almost as well and it has some features that work great for games, like a simple UV unwrap and a retopology tool.

Yeah, I've used them as inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...

Obsttorte - Argh, lots of rounded surfaces and objects, I feel your pain making all of those. Is that some sort of a palace? I always wonder which style of architecture you guys base your constructions on. Mine was mostly romanesque, but then again I never really went for the steam side of the fiction, which would probably bump it to late victorian indeed.

I always wonder which style of architecture you guys base your constructions on. Mine was mostly romanesque, but then again I never really went for the steam side of the fiction, which would probably bump it to late victorian indeed.

I suck in architecture knowledge. When I'm building, I usually just do a google image search with "medieval manor" or "medieval streets" and just build based on the reference images that catch my fancy. You're right, that maybe a mapper should read a book "architectural styles for dummies" at some point. ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The rounded surfaces are patches. And no, it is no pain making those. The rounded staircase in the upper right image took me 10-15 minutes to make. If you work often enough with patches, using them becomes pretty easy. The rounded doorframe is a stock model.

Regarding the architecture: I just build as how I think it would look good. I have no real plan when building and do not refer to pictures or so, I just build. :)

I don't know if taking a look at architectural literature and reference images would make my FM's look better, though. But as so far noone really complained about my architecture looking odd or out of place, I guess I don't need to invest my time there.

Is that some sort of a palace?

I'm not sure yet. MAybe it will be an castle in the end, or a bank (or a space ship :ph34r: ). I decide such things as I go.

@Aluminumonimumhaste:

If the patches are not too bumpy, simple create a brush textured with the specific texture in the right size, middle-mouse click on its upper side and then ctrl+middle-mouse click on the specific patches. Do this with all textures used on the patches. (Delete the brush afterwards ;) )

This will take you roughly two to three minutes. So you will be done with it before you start bothering. :D

I'm liking this return of the screenshots/updates going on here. Sadly my little map has not got worked on in a few months, and switching a workstation over to windows to map was too much effort, so after a few hours of mostly fighting autotools, DR is 95% happy and working with libc++/clang.

And to support the progress and screenshots going on here - a completely random screenshot (Go home gdb, you're drunk)

goodtimesporting.png

• Like 1