The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

One thing that surprised me being in some underground structures, is how much light streams in from above (without magic mushrooms). Every access point, from utility to maintenance to venting to settling/breaks in the structure as ground shifts provides a potential stream of light. They aren't like pitch black caves.

(Which isn't to say fantastical fungus isn't useful, it can work better than wondering why someone was here an hour ago to replace and light a bunch of torches, heh.)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Bits of hanging vegetation ("grass" clumps or ivy), moss and stuff like that also help. That, plus sediment.

Now that surround sound audio and fancy 3D graphics are commonplace, it's time for the next leap forward in PC technology. The time is nigh for the accelerated surround-smell processor! Then it's time to invest in keyboard covers. :)

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Another screenshot, similar to one I posted a couple years ago, but now with sunset lighting.

sunset-skulls.png

That's a rather beautiful sunset skybox. Is that animated as well?

That's a rather beautiful sunset skybox. Is that animated as well?

This one is not animated. I had loaded a pre-fab skybox and I stripped out the cloud layer and all but the primary patch for the mountain sunset texture. I did however add a lamp glow particle at the west side of the skybox. I still need to remove the animated dust from that glow particle, but it works well.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Is that a shadow on the ceiling above that hanging lamp? What is casting it?

Neat looking scene!

Looks like a burning decal to me.

*nods, soot. Thank you!

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

Haven't posted any progress on the street level since weeks ago, so here is some:

Outside the tavern

I personally don't like how the scene looks right now. It needs a lot more detailwork. I'm also having trouble highlighting the tavern door to the player. I'd rather not use a light for it, or at least I'd like to use a very small light that doesn't have a large radius. Any ideas? :D

• Like 1

For highlighting the door, you can use a spotlight instead of a point light, or you could have some glowing mushrooms in a flowerbed by the door.

You might want to make the floor uneven too, and add some puddles. Right now it looks very dry, even w/ the rain coming down.

Scene looks good though!

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I'm also having trouble highlighting the tavern door to the player. I'd rather not use a light for it, or at least I'd like to use a very small light that doesn't have a large radius. Any ideas? :D

Placard advertising today's specials standing by steps? Readable with same posted by/on door? Instead of light on it or video-game-y mushrooms, simulate light spilling out from under the door? Instead of visual, have a speaker with crowd noise right by the door so the player knows there's activity within? A doormat? Drunk AI sitting by the stoop? Windows glowing nearby? A wench barker? A glowing small window on the door itself? AI passing through it at some point? A delivery package that hasn't been collected yet? A couple canoodling outside before leaving for her place?

Why do you need to draw attention to it, don't we all check every door and then get upset when they don't have handles and won't respond to lockpicks for us? ;-)

Edited by RJFerret

Well that's a bundle of ideas. Cheers!

Why do you need to draw attention to it, don't we all check every door and then get upset when they don't have handles and won't respond to lockpicks for us? ;-)

That is exactly the thing. It's impossible to make a level with every door, hatch and window to be openable, so in good level design it's really important to telegraph to the player what are the points of interest and what are just static facades. Of course it would be best to make it as subtle as possible, so that it works on almost a sub-conscious level.

I know a lot of veteran Thief-players might not see this exactly the same way, as we are accustomed to trying out every last thing and hate handholding and breaking of immersion no matter how subtle. But I'd still rather design levels so that they are accessible and flow well to players who might be completely new to the fandom :-)

The Finns are taking over!

Amazing work, very much looking forward to seeing the finished level. Seconding that exteriors are the exhausting part. I build house by house, and every time I finish an interior I shudder to think that I have to go back outside :D

Welcome to the board!

Edit: Oh, just realized - you make FM playthroughs on YouTube, right?

Edited by kyyrma
  • Like 1

Hello and welcome! Seems like the Finns are taking over this board :P

Very cool video and I look forward to seeing the final product!

Why thank you! If you let us prosper long enough you'll be under new management in no time.

I usually shudder to think about going back outside, not only in DR =P

Edit: Oh, just realized - you make FM playthroughs on YouTube, right?

Yep! It's all for fun really. I found that starting a playthrough of something helps me to actually finish a game, since I'm notorious for buying tons in Steam sales and never getting round to playing/completing them. I don't do commentary, not only because I don't have the voice for it but I simply don't think I'd ever have anything to add to a game. It's less about me and more about the games ^^

Edited by Airship Ballet

I thought so. Glad that someone still has the common courtesy of not blabbering over their videos. I enjoy good commentary now and then, but most of the time I'd rather just see the gameplay. Especially since not everyone was born a comedian, despite most YouTubers seeming to think so :D

Anyway, not to steer further off-topic, welcome again and thanks for the videos. Was great to see a blind playthrough of my own map also.

It was great to play it myself, even if I did find a few more things to see the second time. It was realistically compact without feeling small at all, basically my favorite kind of mission: snatch and grab with plenty of shinies and a realistically planned building.

But yeah, current projects ho!

Wow, yummy!

I'm working on some modules right now myself, as it happens. :)

Had again a few hours to mash modules around. Made a new round corner module, not-so-modular(*) stairway and a doorway piece.

*) it is modular, but has a mistake and does not conform to my ordinary module rules. However, it looked okay and I didn't want to redesign it.

XbRfUK6.jpg

Life of Luxury - Because we rich folks are so much better than you lowly commoners.

Looking great Sotha! Also those handrails look fantastic! Did you make those yourself?