The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Just wanted to show this. This is still VIP and needes tweaking, but I'm making good progress :)

http://youtu.be/5IArZTalevQ

Finally... I would be very interested in seeing what you can do of your experiment. If you wish, give me that lantern and pistol and I shall work on them for you (model and texture).

Edited by RPGista

I'm actually pretty pleased with the lantern. The pistol is just a test, I don't think I'll ever use it. In addition, as I know nothing about animations, I used the stuck ones. While it is fine for the lantern imho, the way the player holds the pistol looks pretty odd.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Been testing steadily...balancing loot how I'd like it for various difficulty settings, and trying different approaches. I've managed to ghost it with a stealth score of 0 on Easy and Medium, and it should be possible on Difficult as well depending on which loot you use to get to the objective. But I haven't managed it when getting all loot (there's a couple loot items that may not be possible to get without making a guard at least pause). Hopefully it's not too easy (it's a small level, so it can only be so hard regardless, and will likely be easy for experienced players), but it's hard to know how hard it is when you know the exact guard paths and loot locations and such.

Edited by Digi
  • Like 1

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Still plugging away on the map, and am putting the finishing touches on the exterior of the main mansion grounds. As always, let me know what you think and if you see any improvement points:

14162240660_f535e6cc25_b.jpg

14162240620_f976a28c44_b.jpg

14348847965_fa694e743c_b.jpg

14162172779_7954693174_b.jpg

14325708186_3c6060f5fc_b.jpg

WOW again :wub:

I've been fortunate enough to have an in game demonstration of the map that Bikerdude and Baal have been working on during the last couple of visits to Biker's and I've got to say that those pics do not do it justice. We are in for one Hell of a treat.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I'd put in a bit of ambient light, though. In real life, there is almost always a bit of diffuse light around lit areas, but that's not simulated well by computer games. An ambient level of 4-5 is dark enough for government work. Go with 3 if you want things really dark, like the bottom of an unlit prison.

But I want to speak more about the screenshot! Very good use of multi-level spaces, and the bold supports add a Victorian touch to it. It is also a very clean construction. Bravo.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'd put in a bit of ambient light, though. In real life, there is almost always a bit of diffuse light around lit areas, but that's not simulated well by computer games. An ambient level of 4-5 is dark enough for government work. Go with 3 if you want things really dark, like the bottom of an unlit prison.

I'm planning on toying around with ambient light when I'm done building and am balancing loot, patrols and the like. It's gonna be a while yet, but I was thinking around that because, like you say, nothing's ever truly pitch black if there are lights in the same room.

Bravo.

Thanks, means a lot considering the standard of your maps ^_^

Consider using location-based ambient levels, that can differ from space to space. The gradation is not that smooth, but it works well enough. There ARE situations where you would want zero ambient light, as well as areas that have overall less bouncing lights than others (an exterior, as opposed to a basement). For areas with little to no ambient light, you would need a transition area where the gradation wont be perceived, like the well lit corridor between the nave and the crypt area in the "remembrance" chapel.

Uh-huh, I'm using location entities but they're currently all set to 0 light since I've just been copy/pasting them around the place from a basement with no light at all. I think the transition between pitch black areas and those with the ambient set to 3 or 4 might be subtle enough to pull off with minimal effort. We'll see when I get around to playing with them.

You can easily play around with location settings later in the building process. It is usually one of those things I do late, and it takes very little time to set up.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Instead of using the ambient light you can also use a light bound to the players, which will then only light up surfaces near the player. If you use a biground texture, a high range and a low brughtness this gives the most "realistic" results imho. Obviously the light should be set to not cast shadows ;)

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Another trick you can use to create a good "gloom" effect is to have a fog light set to a very, very low brightness. This makes things fade into the scenery if they are not close to you.

In my WIP, which you tested, I did this in the hidden treasure room, for exe.

• Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I was playing with ambient lighting and really there's no good setting I could achieve: it was either too clear or as dark as usual. I'll try both of those, see which I like.

In addition to the brightness of the light, did you also try different color?