The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

For an ambient of 7, that's quite dark, the fog light at 2 must be having quite the effect to darken it up that much.. looks great!

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• 2 weeks later...

I like those shots.

If I have to offer a crit, I would suggest that you vary the wall textures a little. The 2nd and fourth shots have too much stone

and might look better with stucco instead. That and you've got a certain amount of visual density overkill in the 6th shot. I would

try smaller banners or remove\replace the one on the right.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Very nice shots. The easiest way to make rooms look unique imho is to break up symmetris. You have already done this by placing the rugs / runners on the floor non-parallel to the walls. You can do this with other things as well (but don't overdo this). In addition, you can add a slight variety in the colors of light sources. The differences should be subtle, though.

From what I can see in the shots the small rooms are lacking a bit of supports. Having Beams in their would break up the room geometry and add a texture variety to the scenes (stone + wood), which would also make the scenes more interesting.

In addition you can add cracks in the wall or floor, etc...

On another note: Rooms where there is moonlight falling in through a window should be more bright especially close to the window. In addition the light thrown into the room through a window should look like the window it is falling through. If you need help with the latter aspect I can help you out on it.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

My one reservation is, would a barracks room have those fancy windows? (Of course if it was repurposed, it could very well be the case)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Lost motivation after countless crashes with 2.00 and 2.01.

No problems so far with 2.02.

post-3833-0-51198100-1405590112_thumb.jpg

WIP

Tris: 384

Verts: 400

Texture size: 256x1024

No normal map.

Still looking too clean but better than last time.

Texture for sword model with 530 polys in the making.

@Moonbo:

Some walls are a bit thin. Dependant on the size of the building and the actual floor a half to two meters are not unusual.

Most rooms are still cubes. Also try to break up the corners to hide texture seams. Supports and wood panels will do the trick.

Maybe too many windows in picture 4 and 6. Try to integrate the windows better in the wall and overall support structures of your rooms.

Be careful with that window texture.

http://forums.thedar...525#entry302525

• Like 3

Very nice, could be a great substitute short sword for the player in someone's FM. I wouldnt worry too much about normals (unless you want to add more texture to the grip), but a good specular would go a long way in making the blade "shine". Some small scratches, gray areas where you wouldnt expect someone to polish the metal (like towards the center of the body), those would be areas that call for different reflection values.

In general, you want the edges to shine slightly more than the rest (emphasis), so they should always be lighter than the base gray level.

PS: Now that I see it in more detail, I see theres a pretty good job done already, so disregard that.

Edited by RPGista

Moonbo/Sotha both looking very good! :)

Edited by Goldwell

Hey all, thanks for the very good advice/feedback. It's probably a bit too late to substantially change this section, but I'll keep this all in mind for the next section coming up :-).

@Obs, good point, I'll try to make the windows lighter.

@Melan, yeah the building is old and has had other uses in the past.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

@Sotha - looks like there's a texture off on the left hand side there, but it may be that the depth of the room is playing tricks with my eyes. Otherwise, cool! Especially since I realize you weren't showing us that pic to highlight the wall.

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

@Obs, good point, I'll try to make the windows lighter.

I was actually talking about the brightness of the room, but you got a good point there.

EDIT: Taking another look at your images it appears that you are using a light to enlighten the window textures. If you do so, this is not the way to go (odd looking and performance houngry). The default way is to use a blend add of the diffuse map in the material shader.

blend    add
       map        textures/darkmod/window/ornate/hammer_yellow
       rgb       parm3

Make the windows func_static and use the "shaderParm3" spawnarg to set the brightness.

@Sotha, looks like something I'd expect out of Outlast: The Dark Descent ;)

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

EDIT: Taking another look at your images it appears that you are using a light to enlighten the window textures. If you do so, this is not the way to go (odd looking and performance houngry). The default way is to use a blend add of the diffuse map in the material shader.

Controlling rgb by a parm3 is a great idea, but there's nothing wrong with using a light as well. That's a common mapper convention, and it has a few benefits, including lighting the player up if they are standing in front of the lit window.

@chedap: Looks good, but why are there candle flames floating at the walls?

@chedap: Looks good, but why are there candle flames floating at the walls?

It's work-in-progress, not a design decision, if that's what you mean. Easier to tweak lighting first, then decide which model to use (in this case, they could end up on columns instead of walls). And since I'll probably model new light sources anyway I'm feeling too lazy for placeholders.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick "before and after" with the fog light method. This is with an ambient light set at 7. The fog light is set at 2.

Without fog light:

14561029264_30394260a7_b.jpg

With fog light:

14376090409_04a7163aec_b.jpg

It's a nice effect, though I've only used it to simulate old, hoary places. Not sure how it'd work in a more standard setting.

Why is the book shelf set to noshadows?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.