The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Dammit! If I was at my desktop I'd start working on that toilet you posted right now! :D

Very good job people! Can't wait for them to be released! I like city missions a lot but... That creepy atmosphere of Moonbo...Speechless.

@Obsttorte Man I wish I had your eyes :P Besides the staircase wallpaper from taffsalot I can't see any other missaligned textures

Edited by Atheran

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace

Panel at the bottom of the corner, right below the candle in the center of the image :P

To be honest, I suck at this. There are people who are much more aware of such things, and who drive me nuts everytime I make a betatest for one of my missions. :ph34r:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@GW, would you like me to build this for you..?

Thanks for the offer but for now i'm just going to leave the toilet. I know you guys love to pick stuff apart but when playing the game it doesn't look unnatural/feel unnatural so i'm going to leave it. If I come back to the room later and it feels wrong then, i'll try changing the chair myself and ultimately if that fails then i'll shoot you through a PM with the room so you could play with it yourself. But yeah for now i'm just going to go on working on other rooms :)

(I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek...as you say, players won't spend two seconds thinking about it).

Here's a bathroom that I spent building and detailing for the past couple of days.

Beautiful work, Goldwell...I can't wait to be there...:)

Okay time for some spoilers!

Very nice, Kvorning...Dark and grey, with an ominous feel.

Awesome, Mista.

But you know, once you add some lights to the cathredal performance will be a kick in the ass :P

EDIT: Can you export the cathredal as a model and tell us what the tris/vert count is like? Just corious.

Thanks for the offer but for now i'm just going to leave the toilet. I know you guys love to pick stuff apart but when playing the game it doesn't look unnatural/feel unnatural so i'm going to leave it. If I come back to the room later and it feels wrong then, i'll try changing the chair myself and ultimately if that fails then i'll shoot you through a PM with the room so you could play with it yourself. But yeah for now i'm just going to go on working on other rooms :)

Yes, most players ''won't give a shit'', pardon the pun. :-D I couldn't resist LOL

• Like 1

First up: "Ascension"

To use that much over used but quite appropriate phrase, Oh... My... God, is this in the TDM anymore, its that good! need some better falling water sound now though :-)

Next: "Monastery"

To use another similarly much used used but quite appropriate phrase, Oh... dear...lord... Its like the cathedral from my Stac mission but on steroids - extremely impressive. A small crit, you need to turn the self shadows of on the base's of the columns, or create a better shadow mesh for them

Finally: "The Cave"

The scale just knocked me for six... had to pick my jaw backup...

Biker nailed it to the point. No more comments allowed ;)

@Obsttorte

Don't know how to export/view the tris count, but the draw count is about 3400 from the void and it's still running +60 FPS. Having good hardware definitely helps with that point. And yeah, there's definitely a challenge when having to add more than ambient light and inconsistency to the environment, without hitting the software limitations. Careful planning and good use of non-dynamic lights is a must, for that size room. I think its worth taking a note out of the "Thief" playbook, as that game has -amazing- static lightning.

On the upside, I haven't added visportals yet to the arches, so on that point it's looking positive for further building.

@Bikerdude

I really like the stock sounds from TDM when it comes to water, but some HQ custom sounds for the scene would not be a bad idea!

Deathblade2014666xxXxx is doing the textures, so far the only custom ones we've used are the beige stones you see in the Cathedral. They would probably be improved in a polish phase later on, as the shadows does "skip" around the surface as it is now.

Btw it should be noted, that there's no external models used, it's all primitive patches and brushes, made into func_statics. The result is a higher load time, but the performance is excellent. The downside to this, is any change to an FS requires me to replace every similar FS, rather than just "reimport object". I've also been very careful about having verts line up, to avoid shimmering on surfaces, which seems to also have eased the strain on the engine as well.

That last part might be wishful thinking, but worth pursuing when building for the sake of good order and compatibility.

Btw it should be noted, that there's no external models used, it's all primitive patches and brushes, made into func_statics. The result is a higher load time, but the performance is excellent.

You could improve the perf a little bit more by converting all the identical FS to .ASE models.

Don't know how to export/view the tris count,

Select everything and use the DR ASE exporter. Reload the models and you will see your exported model in the model browser (if you have exported it either to the models folder in the darkmod folder or in your fms folder. The latter works if you set the fms path in the preferences).

In the model browser you can see the tris/vert count by selecting the model. It's shown in the lower left below the model list.

Compartmentalizing the cathredal and using low poly lod models for distant views may be a good way of dealing with performance here. n addition, the lod system can be used to toggle the shadowcasting on distant objects.

I think the most important thing to consider is that if you place lights, they should not overlap each other. In addition there is something else that may prove useful. http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Light_Textures_and_Falloff_Images It's quite some work and I didn't tried that myself yet, but may be useful to create good looking lighting.