The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

@Bikerdude

Thanks man, will do!

@Obsttorte

Took about 2 hours for DR to convert it into 671mb .ase and looked like it was either gonna take as long just to inspect it or it had crashed while trying, so I shut it down. :P

Wow :o

It's probably better to export it bit by bit, for instance each arch or column.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Perhaps look into tessalation for the patches, that should bring the triangle count way down. Otherwise, fantastic work. Love the moonlight on the church's windows.

Edited by RPGista

• 2 weeks later...

Started this a couple of days ago. Let's see where it takes me :)

post-11230-0-93961000-1410543208_thumb.png

• Like 3

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@Obs is this for the Halloween contest? or just so?

@Biker man why aren't you working at a game studio?

Your work is always so damn detailed!

@Obs is this for the Halloween contest? or just so?

It's just so.

As I was unemployed for quite a while I've lost motivation to map in the last months. It's strange that if you have plenty of free time your interest in doing something decreases.

However, as I have a job now I feel that my motivation and inspiration rises again, and I always wanted to create a street mission, especially after playing the last Thief. But as it is going to be pretty large I doubt I can finish it before Christmas.

Maybe it will become a little present to the community than :)

I really hope those textures end up into the core mod.

Gorgeous work!

+1. Those textures look awesome.

@Biker man why aren't you working at a game studio?

I guess if he would do so he would not have much interest in doing this stuff in his free time, too. ;) It's better for us if everything stays as it is now. :)

I really hope those textures end up into the core mod.

Already done.

Woow! It looks beauty!

Ta.

its just practise, eventually you will be cranking out nice detailed work etc.

I guess if he would do so he would not have much interest in doing this stuff in his free time, too. It's better for us if everything stays as it is now.

Yep, not going anywhere - the games industry is even more ruthless than my current career.

My opinion is the gaming industry these days doesn't even deserve our talent. They have a reputation for treating devs like crap, and you have to compromise your standards anyway. I mean it's cool if someone is happy making a life out of it and finds a good studio to work for. I don't criticize people for doing what they love for a living. But I sometimes feel we can make a better contribution to the gaming scene staying homebrew.

Edit: That said, the one thing from a professional scene I can appreciate is those lush assets they get to work with. T4 had its issues, but the assets and art direction were still top notch, and Dishonored of course.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It's not bad per definition if there is someone giving you a red line to follow. The problem is that it seems that publishers tend to follow polls containing teenage opinions or trying to reproduce things other publishers have been successful with instead of trusting in the creativity and experience of their developers.

I will and I cannot believe that most developers are only aiming for creating games that sells well. And if publishers would accept this and give their devs more freedom, I think it would help the gaming industry alot.

Btw.: Thief 4 and Dishonored are quite good games. And although Thief 4 has its downsides, I never regret that I've paid 50 Euro for it. Compared to the bullshit that gets released as "AAA games" nowadays, this is still one of the few worth the money, and it is a good inspiration for any TDM mapper.

Dishonored is a great game. The only downside is that you get far too much equipment. But beneath that, it's one of the best games I've played in the last years. I hope they make a second part.

Dishonored is fucking amazing. If you haven't played it, you really should. The pace can be a lot faster if you wish it to be, because of blink. The Daud DLCs (Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches) are great as well. If you get the base game, get those as well. And probably Dunwall trial's Thief challenge would be good fun for most as well. I like Bonfires a whole lot in that DLC.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Btw it should be noted, that there's no external models used, it's all primitive patches and brushes, made into func_statics. The result is a higher load time, but the performance is excellent. The downside to this, is any change to an FS requires me to replace every similar FS, rather than just "reimport object". I've also been very careful about having verts line up, to avoid shimmering on surfaces, which seems to also have eased the strain on the engine as well.

That last part might be wishful thinking, but worth pursuing when building for the sake of good order and compatibility.

That is impressive work indeed, imo is among the best i've seen from the TDM mission makers, sad that you went to other engine, is it UE4 or Unity by chance? Btw don't know if this is something you already know but you should never do a single model for an entire level or room, that just kills the performance on any engine, because it prevents from culling systems to hide parts of it, if you want something like that catedrale on a game, then it should be cut in small manageable pieces and then reassembled on the game editor, that was what id did for some of their levels btw.

• Like 1

...The Daud DLCs (Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches) are great as well. If you get the base game, get those as well. And probably Dunwall trial's Thief challenge would be good fun for most as well. I like Bonfires a whole lot in that DLC.

A bit OT but was just curious how long each of these DLC is for a playthrough (in hours)?

They're 3 full levels each. How long they take depends on your playstyle.

Sure. When someone like skacky says, "3 hours each", I generally double that because I like to walk around, explore, general gazing and dicking around. Just curious to get a guage on price/performance ratio.

@skacky, Thanks!

@Hmart

Thanks man, very kind of you to say. UE4 has caught my attention. The new Unity is very impressive and I think there's already a few WIPs on it with early access (The Forest?), but everything about Unreal appeals to me, especially their distribution strategy, which is 20$ per month for a license and 5% of your net gain if ship a title.

The cathedral is built in modules and if you look closely at the wire frame bit, you can probably see where they meet. Each section is 6-8 unique models. In the video no optimization has been done in regard to visportals, though caulk brushes cut each section for a portal. Most performance vs visuals past this point, would probably come from good static lightning, particle effects and simple collision. I could go the extra mile and export them and make LOD versions, but it's currently not a concern. :P