The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Everyone else and their mum has been showing off some really impressive screenshots recently.

I just wanted to show the opening scene of Ulysses 2.

x8PYe1c.jpg

Wow!

Can't wait Sotha! The first one was badass!!

I just wanted to show the opening scene of Ulysses 2.

Nice manor out in the country there mister...

The manor library, inspired by the one from the T2 mission 'Casing the Joint'. I'll probably need to get Bikerdude's help to optimize it, since the layout almost requires overlapping lights to get a decent illumination and there are spots where the primitive count goes up to 2500 (and I still think it's pretty dark). Goes to show that Dromed architecture doesn't always fit with DarkRadiant I guess. Crits appreciated as always:

Ah now this is very impressive, this has a T2 vibe writen all over it. In fact Im sure I have seen that gorgeous fireplace location somewheres before ;-)

Only a brave man or a fool would claim to be inspired by Casing/Masks, the poorest missions in Thief 2. However, you just might be the person to pull it off, so for the time being, let's stay with "brave man". ;)

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

No, I genuinely dislike Masks as well; generi-Victorian setting with mostly uninteresting gameplay. If we compare it to other classic manor missions like Ramirez and Bafford - well, we don't, because there is no comparison - but if we did, it would come out very poorly; a mediocre fan mission with a high production values cutscene. Which is why I am curious if Moonbo can do something good with the premise.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I am continuing work on my pagan village map after several months of inactivity.

Also I just discovered that some things in siegeshop have broken since version 2.0x, namely the translation times of the drawbridge lifting chains. Those suddenly are taking 5 minutes to fully translate instead of 15 seconds :o

• Like 2

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

briefing video

Woooow, that is amazing! Who is that voice actor? The audio quality and acting is top notch!

• Like 1

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Just a quick update on optimization of that library scene - all the bookshelves, along with the railing on the second floor were func_statics. The simple act of converting them all back into worldspawn reduced the draw count from 2600 to 2000, which I can live with. I wanted to mention it just as a reminder that, contrary to common wisdom, sometimes worldspawn can be much more optimal than bunching everything into func_statics.

• Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Woooow, that is amazing! Who is that voice actor? The audio quality and acting is top notch!

That would be me ;)

And thanks for the kind words!

I'll remember to poke you when I need some lines recorded.

• Like 1

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Looking good. Maybe you haven't gotten to that stage yet, but the building faces could really use some dirt decals. That and props (crates, barrels, rope, etc) will go a long way towards bringing the scene to life.

Looking really good Goldwell! The only minor crit I have is that the bricks in the second picture seem a bit too clean. Even just adding a mild decal like scattered_dirt_02 on top would probably get rid of the shininess.

• Like 2

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

@Goldwell, In your last screenshot, I've seen this in many missions and not just from you. The "Oriental" or "Persian" rug on the floor. I don't know that you've ever seen this type of rug in a home/store/etc., maybe you have, but they are very thick (around 1/4") or more and they get shuffled around on the floor. Pushed around, etc. but the edges of them remain straight unless the rug is physically "bunched up" because furniture is holding it in position in one place er whatever. The edges would only look as they do in the screenshot if the rug patch came up off the floor and the rug was not laid flat. Otherwise the edges remain pretty much completely straight.

For me its an immersion thing, when I see a rug like that it isn't believable. Yes a rug gets shuffled out of square with the room, lays off angle, but the edges never are wavy like that. The fringe on the ends gets flipped up/backward/all over the place unless groomed but we can't change that in DR.

Just a detail. Quite a beautiful room otherwise. ;)

Edited by Lux
  • Like 2

Nice catch, Lux.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter