The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Currently, I'm finishing up work on the Slovak localisation of the GUI. (I'll do a translation for the Training Mission and The Tears of Saint Lucia as well, once I'm sure the GUI works.) Unfortunately, I could really use some help with a certain script that enables the changes done in all.lang for the particular language's .lang file. At the moment, I'm stuck and I really don't know how to carry on. :huh: Some advice would be appreciated, though I'm waiting for a potential reply to a message I sent to Tels.

Hon hon hon!

I'm getting interested already. B)

• Like 1

Cool wall texture. I think those windows with the raw stone frame might be a bit out of place though. They don't look anywhere near as polished as the rest of the room.

Cool wall texture. I think those windows with the raw stone frame might be a bit out of place though. They don't look anywhere near as polished as the rest of the room.

I was toying with them a lot, but out of my tests I found when the bricks match the outside wall it works the best so maybe if you would have seen the outside first it wouldn't be so obvious that they are there and you might think oh ok that's connected outside.. but I will experiment with them a bit and see if a polished marble edge wouldn't work better, admittedly I was only trying bricks so who knows.

The thing that I seem to struggle with the most in my recent building days are the ceilings, I dont want to build fancy roofs for every single room as it gets quite tiring even if the visual aspect pays off (but I can almost bet 99% of people dont even bother looking at the ceiling which can be demotivating for it as well) and I dont want to just copy and paste the same ceiling everywhere as then it looks out of place but I just cant seem to find a good texture to place on the ceiling thats sort of universal for most rooms, especially stone based rooms like that one.

Whenever I build wood based rooms I have no problems but with stone it seems to be a different beast.

Regardless i'll just keep experimenting away until I get the right flow :)

Edited by Goldwell

In general, the fancier the room the higher the ceiling. Try putting some kind of central image in the middle--a wooden panel or circular tile piece works well. Then you can frame it with other panels outward towards the walls.

fancy-ceiling-excuse.jpg.

osterley-park-and-house.jpg

Simple beams to work as ribs can also be quite effective.

Tudor.jpeg

• Like 4

In the spirit of honest criticism: the scene doesn't work for me.

• The ceiling is precisely one reason. This is a large room, but it has an oppressively low ceiling. Therefore, the place looks flattened and unpleasant.
  • Second, the marble texturing is excessive. It looks sterile in the context of a gambling den. There is nothing to contrast the aggressive greens, but the worst offender is that black-and-white floor, which sticks out like a sore thumb. That is a very dangerous texture; hard to use correctly and easy to use it in a wrong place. This is one of those places.
  • Third, the lighting is flat. The place is overlit, without interesting shadow-light contrasts. If you change one thing, crank those light radii down.
  • Fourth, when you say "99% of the people won't", you are selling both yourself and your audience short. Many of us will. But even if we don't spend a minute specifically admiring your ceilings, we will still process the scene instinctively, and it will feel right or feel wrong. It is better to make it feel right.
  • Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Following up on what Melan has said, the only mission I ahve seen fill marble walls work is in Lords & Legacy. That small space would be better serve with matching wood panelling and raising that ceiling a tad, a rich gambeling den wouldn't be so luxurious and then have a low ceiling.

Love the gaming tables though, very nice indeed. Maybe you could beef them up, so they are the same heavy contruction and build qaulity as our desk model.

Here's the updated gaming room taking into account the criticisms/advice also thanks Biker I was hoping someone would notice them haha, I built the tables myself but a friend made that roulette wheel.. very cool stuff hey? :)

style 1

X5MOEgD.jpg

brES45o.jpg

IQHF4w2.jpg

qkYIvaU.jpg

style 2 (the current and which I actually like..

xUORZZi.jpg

mrr4qtb.jpg

dX3ag0x.jpg

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 2

better but the marble texture/colour still not gelling pallete-wise wirth the rest of the scene. And by Pallet I mean the browns, oranges, yellows, reds etc etc. IMHO, change the walls to wood paneling and your good to go.

Love the ceiling texture, will have to get that added to the mod after this mission is released. And re the tables, once they are beefed up the frefabs will have to be added to the mod also as we dont have these atm - Springs fancy having a go and knocking some up...?

Looks better for sure. I actually liked the green marble walls, and the panels were more realistic.

Yeah I prefer the green walls as well, I guess its finding that right balance and making a scene feel right. I might even change it back I dunno.. going to keep working on other rooms and come back to this later haha :)

Ooh, style 2 is much better.

I would suggest that you move the wall lights which overlap the marble tile boundaries.

I'm not quite sold on the square pillars, I kinda think those should be curved and have a different material

to provide better contrast. (but it's fine as is)

The rug could also be a tad darker for more scene variety.

And lastly, maybe a statue or two against the walls? (I love statues)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Definite improvement! Still not sure about the walls, but the floor is much more like it, the lighting is right, and the ceiling also looks better.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I suppose it partly depends on whether this gaming room is supposed to feel like a warm club of the like-minded (for the thief to infiltrate) or like a cold, cynical exercise in risky behaviour. The green-walled version (which I thought went nicely with the blue window panes) reminds me of a partly done room in my w.i.p. which is basically meant to suggest the lord of the manor can be an intimidating man: cold colour scheme, stark white lights:

You shouldn't be able to see the far wall, but the screenshot came out with higher brightness than my in-game gamma settings. It spoils the effect a bit.

itb8.jpg

However, details like the gramophone put me in mind of something a little more pleasantly domestic.

• Like 4

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Ooh yeah, I think Goldwell should use those same light fixtures and maybe even copy the lighting a little closer since it matches

Melan's recommendation. I'd like to see the results anyway. :wub:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The problem with that lighting is that the player can waltz right down the middle of a hall full of lights and be completely unseen (at least there's not a carpet running down the middle).

The problem with that lighting is that the player can waltz right down the middle of a hall full of lights and be completely unseen (at least there's not a carpet running down the middle).

I'm not planning to have that room guarded anyway, so it doesn't matter. (Though the room did originally have larger light radii; they caused rendering problems with the mirror texture.)

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

PSA

This is your bedroom

7KHNwkp.jpg

And this is your bedroom on drugs!

8IvCypd.jpg

Not even once.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

More updates from my WIP.

CellsFoyer_zps25bf7481.jpg

Please be aware that the bottom two images are from a room that is under construction. I am very interested in receiving your feedback on whether or not I should change anything about the entrance-way pieces. They are intended to lead directly into the different offices of the City Watch officers - the differences in metal and wood reflect the rank of that particular officer.

OfficersSgt_zps4e0cdb19.jpg

OfficersLt_zpscb72a99b.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately (and fortunately), I'm working on siegeshop again. I'm mostly restoring the rain, with better methods, but I also cannot resist re-texturing some things. At the most, any upcoming changes will be primarily aesthetic.... BUT along with that I am also looking into performance issues in various areas, as well as softening up some of the more rectangular aspects of the map.

Then... no more with this map. Ever. Again.

Edit: In my defense of Lucas'ing this map, this is also a good way of getting back into mapping after several months of doing otherwise.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Dunedain19: The first shot is great and mysterious. My feedback on the second and third:

• They are too brightly and evenly lit. You have some shadows, but they are all sharp and artificual-looking (an engine weakness). Experiment with light textures like tdm_lnaternlight to add some variation. In the second scene, the office interior is a good place to shoot for - the candlelight brings out the interesting shadows and textures.
  • Likewise, the architecture is too clean. The texturing is fine for a higher-class police station, but the overall effect is too neat, too regular, too empty. Experiment with a few objects: benches, banners, coat racks, file cabinets, that kind of thing. Supports beams for the ceiling are also good and easy to do.

As I said, Melan, the room was under construction - it was never to be seen as anywhere near final, so details and lighting were bound to be missing.

Below, you will find the (nearly) completed room. I hope it will impress you!

OfficersHallway_zps8e14302f.jpg

OfficersHallway-Rev_zps3e90c2bb.jpg

OfficersHallway-Dark_zps3b5e8fb3.jpg

OfficersHallway-Alt_zps53fe341d.jpg

Looks great to me!

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson