The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

As I said, Melan, the room was under construction - it was never to be seen as anywhere near final, so details and lighting were bound to be missing.

Below, you will find the (nearly) completed room - plenty of objects still need to be added.

I hope it will impress you!

Sure does! :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Hey Dunedain,

Looks good; the only two crits I would have (sort of mirroring Melan's) are that the stone arches you're using currently don't look realistic because they are textured with a single flat stone texture. While sometimes that can work, most arches are made out of brick so you might try just texturing them with the same brick material you are using on the walls. At a minimum I would recommend trimming your arches (done very easily by thickening your arch patch and applying a diff or rotated texture), here's an example of trimmed brick arches from Requiem:

requiemdemo201301102144.jpg

The second small crit has to do w/ the golden trim and wood boards on the guard's entry door - right now, it looks a little bit too "clean". You might try seeing how it looks with other, rougher, textures. Unless of course you prefer it to look that way.

Anyways, looking forward to playing your map!

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Thanks for the feedback, Moonbo - it is really appreciated. I have made the appropriate changes to the arches, and they look better for it :D!

As for the office-entrances, I am happy with them - so until the new textures arrive in 2.03 - I'll be keeping them as it is and will revisit them if something better comes up. The screenshots don't really do the scene justice, the current setup appears very striking in-game.

I'm glad you're looking forward to playing it - I only have a few more rooms to build, and then I can finally get into readables, A.I. pathing, loot placing and creating dialogue as well as objectives. Still a long way to go, but at least primary architecture is almost complete.

• Like 2

Goldwell, I actually like the green marble walls in the 2nd screen option you posted, I just think you need more stuff to break up the constant wall surace. Paintings/tapestries and plants. 1-2 meter tall plants would be nice sparingly placed along the walls would go a long way here plus it would have a more comfortable gambling den feel. Plants filter the air of cigar smoke. :)

• Like 1

Very athmospheric. It may be worthwhile adding a bit more variety to the floor texture. In addition, you may place ladders or similar. Something the people working there would use to get to the higher parts of the shelves.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Very athmospheric. It may be worthwhile adding a bit more variety to the floor texture. In addition, you may place ladders or similar. Something the people working there would use to get to the higher parts of the shelves.

Ha! You just gave me a fantastic idea with the ladders.

Ever wanted to develop your own thiefy stronghold between missions with your hard-earned cash moneys? Merry's Miraculous Mapping Co. has got you covered!

The floating symbols remind me of Scarface the video game :)

Edited by kyyrma

Depends on what you mean with "rework".

If you want to change the color you could manipulate the material file, so that you can alter the look via the "_color" spawnarg. This would obviously not on worldspawn, though. Otherwise you can change the color of the diffuse and specular in an image editor.

Out of curiosity, if I wanted to rework an existing texture (say for instance, polished_redbrown) - how would I go about it?

That's harder than it sounds if you're not bundling your mission into a pk4...you can't overwrite the existing textures in the pk4, and I'm not sure which one gets used if there are two versions.

So if you make a custom texture and save it in darkmod/textures, it won't show up because of the original in the .pk4?

In that case, instead of replacing the original texture you'd have to make a separate version and save it as a different name.

• So if you make a custom texture and save it in darkmod/textures, it won't show up because of the original in the .pk4?

Instead of replacing the original texture you'd have to make a separate version and save it as a different name.

• If you make a version of a texture and use the same path as the stock texture, the game will I beleive use the texture bundled with the mission and not the stock texture.

Yes, its is best practove to make your own textures with original names etc, and on the subject mappers have two options -

• they use simple paths so all thier textures apear in DR as a group eg, '<mymissionfolder>/textures' & '<mymissionfolder>/dds/textures' in both the physical location and material defs.

or use darkmod default texture paths eg, '<darkmod folder>/darkmod/textures' & 'dds/darkmod/textures' so that if need be the TDM team can add them to the core mode with out any additional work etc.

I see you're using the diamond_pattern_andbars01_moonlit texture. Are you getting an error message that says "cannot load material file..." and dmap is pointing towards the diamond_pattern_andbars01_local (normal map) file? When I examined the archive, I found that this file is actually missing. I am in the process of attempting to create the normalmap and will update here if I'm successful.

Edit:

I'm not entirely satisfied with my attempt - the steel bars could protrude more - but it will serve my purposes. Thoughts?

darkmod_2015-02-14_220011_zps9765587c.jp

Edited by Dunedain19

I see you're using the diamond_pattern_andbars01_moonlit texture. Are you getting an error message that says "cannot load material file..." and dmap is pointing towards the diamond_pattern_andbars01_local (normal map) file? When I examined the archive, I found that this file is actually missing. I am in the process of attempting to create the normalmap and will update here if I'm successful.

Edit:

I'm not entirely satisfied with my attempt - the steel bars could protrude more - but it will serve my purposes. Thoughts?

That looks fine from the angle in that pic, but did I understand right, is this a standard TDM texture where we're missing an image?

Dunedain19: here is the normal file, attached as a txt. Just rename it to TGA.

diamond_pattern_andbars01_local.txt

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved