The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Finally a properly dark mission. B)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Very distinctive! All the white marble in the second shot seems a tad aggressive, but maybe that't the effect you were shooting for.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thanks. The public areas of the mansion are meant to be displays of wealth more than they're comfortable to live in, so there's a lot of showy marble around. In that particular room I was also trying a red/white theme, while thinking it was going to be a trickily bright room for a thief, and shiny surfaces would contribute to that impression.

It was a lot more aggressive before I added the silver and changed from the default light texture. :ph34r:

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Wow that looks like it was lifted straight out of a AAA game very nice work man!

• Like 1

Fantastic work, Sotha.

One missing animation that has bugged me is an eating one that has the AI use a knife and fork.

Any chance you could attempt one in the future (provided you have the time and inclination)?

Thanks!

Yeah, the thought of making a fine-dining eating anim actually crossed my mind. It might be possible to let this anim evolve into that direction.

I am not sure if my skills are enough, though, as it is much more complicated and much finer gestures.

But it is an interesting challenge, so I'll try it later.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Looking great, Sotha! Seeing as you're on a roll here, might I also suggest creating an animation that has the AI using just a spoon - i.e. for the soup/stew bowl model? I can just see some thugs slurping away their grub in a dark and moody inn.

Spoon feeding should be really easy to make using this anim as a base. The hand motions are much more simple there.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

@Sotha, very impressive mister. My only crits are -

• the Ai arent sitting close enough to the table, if you use a combination of path_corner and path_sit w/sit_rotate you can get then close enough so that the anims with the knife/fork is placed better.
  • And is it possoble for place fixed goblets and cup where the Ai put them down, and make them disapear from the table when the Ai is using them..? as that makes for a better illusion.

I'm sure he can iron out the kinks. As a wip it already looks great.

- If it's occurring so often, it'd be good to throw in small variations in timing and direction then have the AI randomly choose between them.

- I thought the drinking was fine just with the gulp. Not sure about the breath at the end.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Tell me about it! I'm busy working on a spiral staircase that I think I have finally sorted out. Just need to put the finishing touches on it and test it in TDM.

As promised earlier:

7ikbi6zrjzydgxm6g.jpg

hiqvham51eu18nk6g.jpg

px8j35h4l2qp1cv6g.jpg

I believe that it still needs some TLC, but please comment/praise/critique!

Edited by Dunedain19
  • Like 2

Want want want want want!

I like the dark look but I guess it's antithetical to challenging gameplay. Hard to judge without knowing the scenario. Will someone or something illuminated move through here to brighten things up? Will the patrols be crowded enough that the low light won't matter for the challenge level? Will this area be a respite before a more confrontational area?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Moonbo - I really love the dark ambient scenes actually, theres a lot of volumetric work, all the spaces feel like a lot of work was put into making they have a strong 3d character to them, and you have a clear artistic vision of what you want, and I also like the more epic feel you get, like fantasy style, its a departure from a more usual ordinary world kind of architecture you get from most missions. Also, those lava streams and little pools are just so cool, they remind me of Hexen so much, little tear of nostalgia right here. ;) Fantastic stuff.

Flood - impressive environment man, I really like the way the textures work in harmony, the use of materials, the lighting which is subtle and full bodied. There are little details everywhere. Love the haze in there. Only little detail which would make it perfect for me - a warm glow coming from the fireplace, to balance the cool blue a bit and draw you in. Great work.

Moonbo: Can't wait to play it - keep doing the good work!

nbohr1more: If we are going by Requiem, it was challenging enough. :)

• Like 1