The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Moonbo - my favourite shot has to be the second one, with that cold blue light and what looks like a pirate treasure chest. As if no human had been there ever since the chest was put there, a long time ago.

As for critique, I'm not so sure about those triangle-forming windows centre-left and centre-right in shots 3 and 4. I keep thinking that there should be a roof there, otherwise it could look a bit thinly supported.

@nbohr, I still need to playtest it, but even though it's hard to see there is actually a decent amount of illumination on the floor.

@RPGista, thanks :-), the fantastical vibe wasn't fully intentional but a lot of the architecture in this section is inspired by custom Quake maps I've played, so maybe it bleeds in from the inspiration.

@Melan, hopefully it'll be a little bit less challenging than the last stretch of Requiem, a lot of people complained about that!

@Dragofer, you're probably right about the angled windows, but I like the look so for now I'll keep it :-). If enough people mention it in playtesting though, I'll change it.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Whoa,

I first saw your last screen shots on my mobile at work and thought, Wow this does look intriguing. Now I'm on my PC at home and I'm blown away. That last image looking up totally disorientates me and makes me want to scout what might be left and right of the view. The peaked arches invite investigation and trip some instinct and wonder of what may lay ahead. Totally looking forward to your public release. :wub:

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

@Melan, hopefully it'll be a little bit less challenging than the last stretch of Requiem, a lot of people complained about that!

Just because they complain doesn't mean they are correct! I think the last stretch of Requiem was a good difficulty spike. The question is always "does my mission benefit from this thing?", and I believe the answer is yes. Many people complained about Thief's difficulty, yet it this difficulty is part of what makes Thief Thief.

• Like 3

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Moonbo

If you are concerned about the difficulty, use the Normal/Hard/Expert levels to provide an easier setting for people who prefer it. Because if you make it too easy, others (like me) will complain too.

Your mapping skills are comming alonge nicely, the street shot is spot on - nice and closed in!

Thanks man :) I am starting to become more and more of a fan of that style and maybe MAYBE you and Melan are onto something with dark textures and tight streets ;)

• Like 1

Two points I would add to that:

• Try to build spaces that aren't immediately assessable (I didn't find a better word for this). Meaning that you can't see the entire room from any point of view. This makes exploring much more interesting. When you enter a room there should always be something around a corner or in some nook etc. that you have to investigate closer. You can achieve this with square rooms but more irregulare shapes help.
  • Utilise the 3rd dimension. Our thief is very agile and he can climb (even without a rope arrow), so you should give him lots of opportunities to do that. Raise the ceiling of your rooms (where it makes sense) and build rafters up there, for example.
  • Like 1

All great pieces of advice guys! Thanks :)

@Baal I really agree with that first point, in the last shot you can see that transparent window at the end of the street well I made it so that you can shoot a rope arrow onto the wooden ledge and climb up and it feels great just to pop into that apartment, grab a couple pieces of loot and duck out. It's definitely something i'm going to be exploring whilst building my WIP (it's still early days so plenty of places to go yet)

@Grayman Thanks for the heads up, so far I haven't built a door on an angle but its nice to know ahead of time that doing so could cause problems, so you probably saved me a lot of time debugging later on down the road

@Moonbo First of all those are some really amazing shots and secondly I was talking to a friend about exactly that last night, designing rooms with different shapes and designs and I completely agree it makes the world of difference, even if its just a cut off corner in a foyer or as you said a lowered bit of floor, its those little unique points that help break things up. I'm going to also be trying to implement a lot of that into my new building techniques because I noticed sometimes i'll see a room and it looks great on the surface but it's just missing an X factor and right there you have hit the nail on the head perfectly.

I hope we will get to use the rope arrows in there.

I never thought of that. The stage area would make a nice alternative to navigate the theater via rope arrows as opposed to staircases and connecting corridors populated with guards. I'll make sure the player has a few rope arrows and that some more can be found throughout the map.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Splendid! Very nice use of dramatic lighting, too!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

All we need now are some moveable Opera glasses model.

That would be awesome!

As I'm currently playing "Vengeance of a Thief 1", I have to say: Sir Taffsalot must be a genius! :D Just... impressing...

You are too kind.

• Like 1

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker