The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

@Moonbo. Thanks for the feedback. The column in the spiral staircase was not meant to be final, and I need to think creatively about how I want it to look eventually. Any suggestions would be most welcome. By the way, your work is incredible and really acts as an inspiration for me to up my game! :)

Below is a picture from the area I am now working on. I am considering changing the wooden support beams to metal girders, which I think will make for a nice contrast.

Incidentally, if anyone is feeling up to it, I would really like to have a custom gas light model created for this room, which - if made - I hope will be included in 'core' TDM. If you are interested in assisting me, please PM me.

bhme9yqhccugngt6g.jpg

That's quite a good bookcase you've made, especially with how it uses the lighting to show details. If anything, I'd change the grey areas at the bottom to the same wood texture so that it has a completely consistent style like the real solid wooden furniture from the past.

Thanks, Dragofer. I actually like the grey at the bottom (I even added it to the top area :blush: ); nevertheless, I will give your suggestion a shot and see how it looks.

Edit:

Just tried it out - you win, Dragofer! Good call, much appreciated.

Edited by Dunedain19
  • Like 1

Looks good. Reminds me somehow of the town of Glenham in the Transaction.

The street lamp posts could use a light texture, I think there was one suitable for thosw lamps in the core mod.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Looks good. Reminds me somehow of the town of Glenham in the Transaction.

The street lamp posts could use a light texture, I think there was one suitable for thosw lamps in the core mod.

Do you mean a lighter texture? because it currently has the "lights/heavy_rust_pocked01" skin on it. Or do you mean switch it to the "lamp_lit_transparent" skin?

He means a projection texture for the light entity, not the lamp model.

Ah yes of course, thanks!

Light texture is a texture that makes the light not only illuminate, but project a pattern.

Choose the light source and press L to bring in the light inspector. You can set the light texture from there. Almost all lights have one, the typical being "biground", which makes the light field spherical instead of a rectangle.

Easy way to give the scene more character is just giving some lights a special (but appropriate-looking) light texture.

Put into the game the electrical desk lamp entity and compare the light to ordinary torch flame and you will see what the light texture does.

Clipper

Light texture is a texture that makes the light not only illuminate, but project a pattern.

Choose the light source and press L to bring in the light inspector. You can set the light texture from there. Almost all lights have one, the typical being "biground", which makes the light field spherical instead of a rectangle.

Easy way to give the scene more character is just giving some lights a special (but appropriate-looking) light texture.

Put into the game the electrical desk lamp entity and compare the light to ordinary torch flame and you will see what the light texture does.

Ah yes that's a big improvement! It's funny because I have projected lights from all the windows reflecting down to the street but I never thought to do that with a street lamp and after seeing the difference it seems like the street lamps should have that texture on by default.

after seeing the difference it seems like the street lamps should have that texture on by default.

I thought all the streetlamp entities already did?

I thought all the streetlamp entities already did?

By default they have "lights/biground1" but now i'm using "lights/biground1_streetlamp_8fold" and its much better.

The entity I used was atdm:streetlamp_round_rusty_lit

Goldwell very nice indeed, i would put some small grass patchs around that statue on the first pict tho, to give it more realism, as also use more dirt or trash decals. BTW this last one seams to be forgotten very often by many TDM mappers, if you guys ever played the new fallout games you would see that they use decals like crazy, especially parallax mapped ones, makes all the difference.

And please don't take my critic bad, i'm not a TDM mapper is true but i know how hard it is to be a level designer, everyday i'm amazed by the perseverance and skills of mission makers here.

Edited by HMart

@Goldwell, very nice mister. Some feedback -

• the area around the foundtain should be a series of steps.
  • the cobblestones should be the round blue/brown texture, the one youve used is generally more suitable for walls and such.
  • In the prevuious shots there was an unntatural glow from the wet ground, have a go at making a custom specular for cobblestones to give them that wet look.
  • The scale of the metal plate floor need to be reduced as irts a tad too big atm.
  • Have a look in SirTalbot for better pipe support brackets.
  • The legs on that metal table should ne an L-shape in cross-section, as it they are thier too big/heavy/unralistic.

@Goldwell

Put a few guards in there, set up patrol routes and playtest it yourself. That's the best way to make sure that what you're building is actually fun to play. Do it now! At once! I'm serious! :)

Edit:

What I would do is this: increase the light volumes and try to create hiding spots in the sharp shadows of objects and architecture. It is much more interesting when moving from cover to cover exposes you, instead of just walking along the edges of a light without danger. It can be tricky to set up correctly but it is worth it in my opinion.

Edited by Baal
  • Like 1

Edit:

What I would do is this: increase the light volumes and try to create hiding spots in the sharp shadows of objects and architecture. It is much more interesting when moving from cover to cover exposes you, instead of just walking along the edges of a light without danger. It can be tricky to set up correctly but it is worth it in my opinion.

This.

Try to add much variations in your map: there should be low tension zones with darkness (cellars, attics), medium tension zones (corridors with occasional patrols) and high tension zones with constantly present danger (barracks, the vault, the trophy room, the lords study). A constant tension throughout the mission is not a good idea.

Typically decent difficulty is achieved by thinking about the mission as in "light, but with islands of darkness the player can hide in." Islands of darkness may also mean objects the player can hide behind.

The difficulty is probably too low, if you can effortlessly walk in shadow all the time and through the mission. If you need to make quick rushes from a dark spot to another while the guard looks the other way, you're probably at correct difficulty. Also remember that the game has equipment. Set the mission difficulty so that the clever use of equipment is rewarded with success. In an excellent mission, the player is given options how to proceed and some equipment should be consumed to make progress.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Mission_Design_Tips

Clipper

Hey guys,

So I'm putting together the briefings for my FM right now (it's a campaign but so far making a button controlled briefing hasn't been too hard) and I've made two versions of the splash/loading screen. I'm not as happy with either of them as the one I made for Requiem, but which one do you guys prefer? Anything I should change (lighting, etc)?

17240531715_a0ebae9eaf_o.jpg

17052764018_8160786718_o.jpg

Thanks!

-Gelo

• Like 3

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com