The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

The second one looks better.

But I think the first one could be improved by cutting it a bit. Maybe crop the bottom and right edges, so the busts are not centered and the sockets and lightgem aren't in the picture anymore.

That's great lighting. I think decals become much more important in bright light though.

@Baal, hah! I never even realized I had forgotten to crop out the light gem. I guess that's what you get for working at midnight :-P.

Well, it sounds like #2 wins, thanks guys!

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

As you can see by the FPS counter, I'm having some slight performance issues - but this will be ironed out by release.

Suuure, I consider having performance issues when FPS are much below 30. You are making me nervous about my map optimisation.

• Like 1

S2wtMNl.gif

Very nice! I like the colour scheme, but the floor looks considerably more ornate than the rougher walls and metal cross-beams suggest.

• Like 1

Very nice, Dragofer!

Is that a custom chair and a light, I spy in the first image? :ph34r:

If they are, I know the perfect places for them in the scene seen ( ;) ) in my above post - would you kindly consider PM-ing them to me at some point?

Both images look great, but perhaps you might consider a different wall texture for the first image?

For my own part, I've always used it as a trim texture (as in the first image at http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10003-so-what-are-you-working-on-right-now/page-244 ) and a stone texture could give the room a really different aesthetic.

Just my opinion, though - keep up the excellent work!

Edited by Dunedain19
  • Like 1

Very nice, Dragofer!

Is that a custom chair and a light, I spy in the first image? :ph34r:

If they are, I know the perfect places for them in the scene seen ( ;) ) in my above post - would you kindly consider PM-ing them to me at some point?

Both images look great, but perhaps you might consider a different wall texture for the first image?

For my own part, I've always used it as a trim texture (as in the first image at http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10003-so-what-are-you-working-on-right-now/page-244 ) and a stone texture could give the room a really different aesthetic.

Just my opinion, though - keep up the excellent work!

Thanks and sure, everyone is free to use my patch creations if they like :) There are 2 custom chairs, and both the hanging and standing gaslights are in the first shot. The gaslights aren't technically implemented yet though. The glass texture (colorme) looks like it's selflit (see standing light on the right) in the dark, so I'd like to change it to the one of the existing gaslight. Stims/particles and frobbing need to be set up too. Plenty of work to do, for now it's a placeholder.

Now that you say it, the vertical boards look quite broad. Stone is a good idea, but that's off-limits in this place, especially this high up ;)

Edited by Dragofer
  • Like 2

Stone is a good idea, but that's off-limits in this place, especially this high up ;)

Thank you for this detail! I don't know why it bugs me so, but seeing stone walls supported by wood or even plasterboard in games makes me wince!

I'll join the chorus in saying nice light by the way :) You don't look like you need any help, but I've been studying materials for a while now so if you have any trouble tweaking it feel free drop me a line to see if I can come up with any ideas.

• Like 1

...seeing stone walls supported by wood or even plasterboard in games makes me wince!

Which is why my wood boards are physically separate from the stone walls, acting as cosmetic wall trim and not as structural support for the wall itself. ^_^

The higher one climbs in my WIP (and incidentally, goes lower), there is less wood and more stone (well...except for the roof in one area...)

Edited by Dunedain19
  • Like 1

Aw man, I love the elevated skybox houses in the background. Gives a neat sense of scale to the place.

I'm getting Lord Edmond Entertains vibes from that street view.

That building on the left in the first picture reminded me of the machine room on the river in Hammerhead. I remember loving that the whole level was built around the water. Probably wouldn't be viable with this engine, though.

It would be viable with a little careful planning and quays or buildings breaking up sight lines. Mandrasola offers good lessons on building a waterfront.

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved