The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Trying to get a model in game. It's in game but it has a black texture.

I extracted models and materials and textures in TheDarkMod folder. And I placed all my files (normal map tga, dds1 texture, material file) in the same folders as the extracted stuff. Triple checked all file names.

I copy pasted the material file.

corner_stones_light_grey
{

stone
    description    "vine_friendly"

diffusemap      models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_light_grey
    bumpmap         models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_local

{
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
        map         _white
        rgb         0.40 * parm11
    }
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       add
        map         models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_light_grey
        rgb         0.15 * parm11
    }

// TDM Ambient Method Related
    {
        if (global5 == 1)
        blend add
        map                models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_light_grey
        scale            1, 1
        red                global2
        green            global3
        blue            global4
    }
    {
        if (global5 == 2)
        blend add
        program    ambientEnvironment.vfp
        vertexParm        0        1, 1, 1, 1        // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump
        vertexParm        1        1, 1, 1, 1    // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular
        vertexParm        2        global2, global3, global4, 1

fragmentMap        0        cubeMap env/gen1
        fragmentMap        1        models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_local            // Bump
        fragmentMap        2        models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_light_grey            // Diffuse
        fragmentMap        3        _black            // Specular
    }
}

can anyone see anything wrong?

Trying to get a model in game. It's in game but it has a black texture.

I extracted models and materials and textures in TheDarkMod folder. And I placed all my files (normal map tga, dds1 texture, material file) in the same folders as the extracted stuff. Triple checked all file names.

I copy pasted the material file.

corner_stones_light_grey
{

stone
    description    "vine_friendly"

diffusemap      models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_light_grey
    bumpmap         models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_local

{
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
        map         _white
        rgb         0.40 * parm11
    }
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       add
        map         models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_light_grey
        rgb         0.15 * parm11
    }

// TDM Ambient Method Related
    {
        if (global5 == 1)
        blend add
        map                models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_light_grey
        scale            1, 1
        red                global2
        green            global3
        blue            global4
    }
    {
        if (global5 == 2)
        blend add
        program    ambientEnvironment.vfp
        vertexParm        0        1, 1, 1, 1        // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump
        vertexParm        1        1, 1, 1, 1    // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular
        vertexParm        2        global2, global3, global4, 1

fragmentMap        0        cubeMap env/gen1
        fragmentMap        1        models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_local            // Bump
        fragmentMap        2        models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_light_grey            // Diffuse
        fragmentMap        3        _black            // Specular
    }
}

can anyone see anything wrong?

Just an FYI this is the wrong thread for this however to answer your question I have had a similar problem and it could be a number of things but first and foremost is your custom model correctly setup? I only have experience with blender but you actually need to set the texture in blender to the same name as the texture is ingame so in this case it would be "corner_stones_light_grey" in order for it to work.

As for your material file the only thing that looks off to me is the bumpmaps are corner_stones not corner_stones_light .. is there a difference? generally when naming its the same name but just with _local added. I dont know if its just how you named it here but maybe your bumpmap is the regular corner stones whereas it should be for the light version.

Outside of that someone with more knowledge would have to help you out as that's all I know.

Good luck :)

Ok thanks Goldwell.

I found the problem (confusing setup).

Well one problem was that I exported (ase) without mapping coordinates. So once I got the file paths sorted out and tried a standard tdm material I was just seeing a flat color, then got the export thing working.

The local is just named different because I was going to try different stone textures over my normal map.

Re the color adding, it's not intuitive actually. Me and my nephew were looking through one balloon to another balloon behind it. The front one was purple, the back was red or yellow. But the color that came through was orange. (Or something else unintuitive like that.) And similarly for other combinations.

I mean look up how it works officially, because it's not easy to imagine and looks weird even in reality.

Edit. Those window shaders look great though! Good stainglass can really create an atmosphere.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Interesting side effect of this new approach.

With the current stained glass implementation, when you look through one window into another, there's no colour information in the second window.

attachicon.gif2nd.jpg

Even though you can clearly see that there is tons of colour in the window:

attachicon.gif1st.jpg

But with the new approach, we get addiditve colour (I think that's what it's called) and it looks more like what you would expect in reality.

attachicon.gif3rd.jpg

Super exciting!

Regarding teh missing color. Many glass textures use distortion shader programs, that often take the currentRender image as base. This is an image of the world before all post process effects got applied, like the hud or distortions. If you now have two translucent surfaces with a material using such shaders applied to it overlapping each other (like in your first shot), the parts of the surface further away that get overlapped by the closer surface won't get rendered at all.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

They look quite good, too. And you have some promising architecture there - keep it up! :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Decided to try and make a stone set to help out. Still having some normals issues but I think they are close. I made a lot of variety/sizes. Want to make an arch too.

Very cool! Modular building like this is definitely the way to go, and pieces that can hide hard corners are highly desirable--the difference between a map that hides hard edges and one that doesn't is tremendous.

Are those patches or models?

Thanks for the kind words.

They are models. I sculpted the edges to try and make them look chiseled. Patches are too smooth, brushes are too hard.

I've also tried overlaying some rock normals to make them more grainy. I don't know the best way to do it so I just used transparency in photoshop.

Works pretty good but does kill the edges a little bit.

I've also tried overlaying some rock normals to make them more grainy. I don't know the best way to do it so I just used transparency in photoshop.

Not sure what you mean by this. Aren't you just using existing rock textures? There's no reason not to for models like that.

I'm using tdm diffuse texture, but I'm baking a sculpt, the bricks are low polys.

post-36608-0-73517900-1434568820_thumb.jpg

But I was trying to take my normal map, then put a tdm rock normal over it at like 10% opacity to combine the normals. Then there could be a smooth hard chiseled version or a version with larger bumps but smoother corners.

But I was trying to take my normal map, then put a tdm rock normal over it at like 10% opacity to combine the normals.

The best way to do this is with an overlay blend.

If you're on Windows 7 you can set it yourself by putting the video file in a folder of its own and setting your screensaver settings in the photo gallery to use that folder. Pretty temperamental though. Otherwise, you could use VLC or DreamScene to set it as your desktop background (I use the latter for pretty little loops like that).