The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Mhmm! This map is a big Builder monastery built on top of an aquifer of supposedly holy water. They made a spring out of it and bottle it for zombie re-murdering. This room's a pretty little shrine to the man who originally discovered the aquifer and laid the foundations for the monastery. His ashes are in an urn at the top there.

Add context and beautiful it becomes.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Why, yes, that's certainly a street! B)

And Airship Ballet --- excellent! Does it also have a current that moves things dropped into it?

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I AM BACK!

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=019e20-1434833332.jpg

And as a direct picture with a bit less resolution:

Holy shit!

Times have changed in the forumcommunity last two years?

I mean ,,Holy shit´´ is a truely a statement.
Where are the real opinions, some good points? Deal out some criticism? Artistical points?....dont know...

Its hard after two years to have two good evenings with DR, come out with a, in my eyes, really lovely screenshot and than the community is a bit "dead" ;)

Dont misunderstand me, i only want a bit more feedback, positiv or negativ, especially after my long break of two years :huh::unsure::blink:

• Like 1

I AM BACK!

Praise the Lord, the Messiah is back! Long live the King!!! XD

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I think the like buttons suffice for most when they have praise to offer where before you'd see a lot of commentary. Please be aware that "holy shit" in this context is akin to someone seeing Brian Wilson come out of seclusion and start writing music with the Beach Boys again. We are happy to see you back. As for criticisms? With the quality of your visuals, I doubt you'll be getting too many. Don't let that discourage you though. Just keep posting images and I'll try to find some fault in them ;)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Where are the real opinions, some good points? Deal out some criticism? Artistical points?

Ok, here's my opinion. It's well above Darkmod's average. It would have been even better if right angles were broken, but for that you would need 3d editor (it looks like you're making all of it in radiant). Light is too red/pink in my opinion. I'm worried about performance. Those carved brackets need simplified shadow mesh. Over all I think it's great.

It's only a model...

Dont misunderstand me, i only want a bit more feedback, positiv or negativ, especially after my long break of two years  :huh: :unsure: :blink:

OK then...

• The texture on the inside surface of the shutters is an inside texture and If I remember thos sort of shutters have the red/white on all surfaces.
  • the paisnign texture on the balcony way is out of place, its an inside texture.
  • The ceiling texture on the balcony, is again an inside texture.
  • The ivy, while it looks good needs to be thicker and more of it.
  • The window use at the top of the house needs a lit version - either necrobob or I can help with that.
  • The texture on the triangled shaped plaster segment on the lower corner of the upper roof nay is stretched.
  • To save of draw calls, the roof fence at the top oif the image should be a simeple, single patch based func static.
  • The texture on one of the steps at stret level is streched.

Ok, here's my opinion. It's well above Darkmod's average. It would have been even better if right angles were broken, but for that you would need 3d editor (it looks like you're making all of it in radiant). Light is too red/pink in my opinion. I'm worried about performance. Those carved brackets need simplified shadow mesh. Over all I think it's great.

Now thats some points, thx for that.

I really thought long about the problem of the beams in the half-timbered houses. The 100% 90° version lookes to perfect. The version with to slanted beams clearly looks to unrealistic if i compare it with medieval buildings. Many of the old half-timbered houses are really well build. Because of that i used a mixed version. Some of the beams are a bit band and slanted, some are not. The part of another house on the left is still and old version with 100% brushes, that will be changed too.

And yes, i only use DR for all my stuff and screenshots until now. I for me dont like the way blender etc. works. This way is ok for CAD programs at work but DR is more the old >>game maker<< style (if aomeone know it). I used this program when i was a chield - good old times :wub: .

The light is a tough thing. In my opinion its a really warm and also a bit mystic shade. In the past there were many answers who liked it too, so i often do ctrl+c / ctrl+v for that. Others dont like it because it is not that realistic, so you do :ph34r: .

Performance problems are a very often responded point in association with my screenshots :D

Again, thanks for the opinion :excl:

Times have changed in the forumcommunity last two years?

I mean ,,Holy shit´´ is a truely a statement.

Where are the real opinions, some good points? Deal out some criticism? Artistical points?....dont know...

Its hard after two years to have two good evenings with DR, come out with a, in my eyes, really lovely screenshot and than the community is a bit "dead" ;)

Dont misunderstand me, i only want a bit more feedback, positiv or negativ, especially after my long break of two years :huh::unsure::blink:

The community is far from dead in fact last year TDM missions almost overtook the thief FM releases. I do find as well the forums get a bit quiet around the summertime as well.

My holy shit statement was of course a compliment as that screenshot you posted is easily the best thing I've seen in TDM, infact I even sent it to a friend of mine who was quite blown away by it and he has mapping experience and was very impressed that you pulled it off. I remember seeing a post from you years ago and thinking these maps look great but its a shame he disappeared, now that you're back hopefully we can get a release and see some great FMs from you instead of just pretty screenshots.

One thing we can't see from the screenshots however is quality of gameplay, storyline and performance. Also when is the release date on this? I think your mapping skills are fantastic but if all you can provide are screenshots then its a bit underwhelming. Even in my 2+ years on the forum ive seen plenty of empty promises come and go so forgive the more regulars to not sit there and pick everything apart as they have done it countless times only to see that person fade away and never be heard of again.

So in terms of story, what do you have so far? Set the scene for why the player is standing I that screenshot, in terms of genre what is this? A city mission? What about length?, how long does it take to complete the mission? Also how much overall is complete? In terms of readables (Bitte verstehe das nicht als Beleidigung, ich sage das mit der besten Absicht) judging from your post I don't think your English is good enough to produce readbles that would match the visual quality of the map, do you have someone else writing them? Or do you just proof read them better?

;)

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 1

It's hard for me to make out much in that picture as everything not directly near the light is too dark on my monitor.

Well, good is good. :) But if you insist, here are some points:

• The lighting is not bad, but slightly flat. I suggest using multiple smaller light sources to bring out contrasts more.
  • Light variation also create gameplay challenges. As it is, this place is a trap, since if you step close, you will be seen by nearby AI. The shadows aren't on the ground, they are on the walls. Is this the intended effect? How can it be circumvented? Or do you just need to run in and pick the lock/climb the vines before the patrol returns?
  • Adding some colour variation would also be nice. Your screenshots have a sort of "Grimm brothers" quality, which is neat and refreshing, but how about a few different hues here and there?
  • Are the vines climbable? Maybe they should be; different paths across a scene are a good gameplay choice.
  • Finally, a released map always beats an unreleased one (I say this as an author of too many unreleased missions).

I wouldn't worry about what is an "inside texture" and what isn't, or if you create your architecture in DR or Blender.* You are doing it right, so go forth and build some more! :)

* No, actually, has anyone really released a Blender-based mission? We can talk all about how it looks superior or how it is industry practice, but if they don't get made, that's all academic.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

* No, actually, has anyone really released a Blender-based mission? We can talk all about how it looks superior or how it is industry practice, but if they don't get made, that's all academic.

It doesn't have to be Blender and not the whole mission has to be made in a 3d editor. Springheel uses Maya to make architectural pieces.

Edited by Arcturus

It's only a model...

Yes, I certainly think smaller, modular models are the way to go. Building a whole mission in a modelling app is beyond most peoples' capabilities (even pro games use teams of builders), but modular bits and pieces are another thing. We can expect some good stuff here.