The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

The key is just keep moving. If I stop in one spot for too long, I run out of momentum and that is bad for mapping motivation. The best thing in modular building is the feeling you're constantly making progress with good looking results.

I know this problem. If I take too long, I will start thinking, what I can improve. As soon as I start doing that I get sidetracked and then lost in details. My WIP, that I started a year ago, is currently completely overthrown (two times, bcause it tok too long to motivate myself to start over) and I will have to start from scratch. I have not too much time at the moment, so I hope that I will at least get to build some modules, that I can fit together pretty quick and thus gain the motivational momentum I need ;)

• Like 1

I got tired of mapping so I went to play with my Lego.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zELWcJvzO1M&feature=youtu.be

That was nice to see your work and how it works. I Have a question, do we have a standard for this? Because i really like contribute for some nodes. Im sugest that you could create an independent section in the " Editing and Design" Forum for this. Just an opinion.

Edit: I say this because i try to do many maps and so many hours i invest for nothing. But if i construct my map in modules that work could be pic up easily from enyone.

Edited by Capela

I Have a question, do we have a standard for this?

I'm not sure there is an official standard. The module size used by Sotha in his post on the subject is set up for a castle so that's a good start ( http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14832-modular-building-technique/) but it could be nice to have a topic on this particular matter so everyone could produce homogeneous modules. I'm very exited by the possibilities this technique can bring. That's how they created the city (and most of the environments) in the latest Thief game so we had plenty of gorgeous gritty places to admire while not being able to jump :awesome: !

It is no joke. =D

I've hidden seams and gaps behind stacks of crates, support pillars, tall cupboards, pipeworks, and pretty much anything that looks like I can get away with.

I'm not the Master Builder; I am the Lazy Builder...

@Epifire,

I would not edit and create a new model for single purpose. Usually when I map, I

1) Build worldspawn module

2) Make it into .ase model

3) Build with the ase models like legos.

4) Sometimes there will be seams and gaps. I hide them with stuff. If this is not possible, it is easy to clone the original model template (the worldspawn built in step 1), and modify it so that it fits into the problematic spot.

The key is just keep moving. If I stop in one spot for too long, I run out of momentum and that is bad for mapping motivation. The best thing in modular building is the feeling you're constantly making progress with good looking results.

Oh agreed. Generally speaking I'd only create a single model for an area if I thought it was absolutely necessary. Generally with small areas decor, or even additional brushwork makes it easy. Although larger singular usage assets really lend a hand to unique locations, and cut out repetitiveness. The thing is when working on a modular scale, getting a specific texture set is great for the main sections but it's always good to change it up with a couple baked assets going with all unique UVs.

My thing is just knowing when to move on to a different section. My biggest problem is getting sidetracked with another project when hitting a low point (or think something is getting shelved). Otherwise I end up spending an obsessive amount of time figuring out the quickest and most effective ways to keep putting out the models. Finding that balance between speed and quality is definitely an issue sometimes though.

Edited by Epifire

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Found some great 3d scans of museum models :D

Big question on useability:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

That's the license it is tagged with, free to use with TDM? I'm just using the 3d model to bake, so it's not actually going in game itself.

Downloaded the cave bear skull model. Unfortunately the models have no bottoms. It would be easy to add a basic bottom to busts, but would be hard to get a normal map looking good for a moveable skull.

=======

Decided I'd try to retopo one. Just using the normal map, a tdm stone.

Tried to overlay ao with a blend filter. Just get a black model. (blend is at bottom) The AO would really help details pop since I'm using base tdm stone.

(forgive the harsh lighting)

post-36608-0-90770100-1438800528_thumb.jpg

bust_tissot_ao
{

stone
    description    "vine_friendly"
    Noselfshadow

//blend filter - need this stage to add ao : bust_tissot_ao.tga

qer_editorimage    textures/darkmod/stone/natural/light_grey_rough_ed
    diffusemap         textures/darkmod/stone/natural/light_grey_rough
//    diffusemap      models/darkmod/props/textures/corner_stones_light_grey
    bumpmap         models/darkmod/props/textures/bust_tissot_local

{
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
        map         _white
        rgb         0.40 * parm11
    }
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       add
        map         textures/darkmod/stone/natural/light_grey_rough
        rgb         0.15 * parm11
    }

// TDM Ambient Method Related
    {
        if (global5 == 1)
        blend add
        map                textures/darkmod/stone/natural/light_grey_rough
        scale            1, 1
        red                global2
        green            global3
        blue            global4
    }
    {
        if (global5 == 2)
        blend add
        program    ambientEnvironment.vfp
        vertexParm        0        1, 1, 1, 1        // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump
        vertexParm        1        1, 1, 1, 1    // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular
        vertexParm        2        global2, global3, global4, 1

fragmentMap        0        cubeMap env/gen1
        fragmentMap        1        models/darkmod/props/textures/bust_tissot_local            // Bump
        fragmentMap        2        textures/darkmod/stone/natural/light_grey_rough            // Diffuse
        fragmentMap        3        _black            // Specular
    }
    {
        blend filter
        models/darkmod/props/textures/bust_tissot_ao
    }
}
Edited by Gestas
  • Like 1

Looks very good to me Capella! You've always had a very good eye for geometry - in fact some of your earlier pics inspired parts of the geometry in my FMs. If this is your passion, definitely don't give up.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I will be honest, imo is not bad i especially like how the castle looks, you could of course improve it even more for example by making that floor surface less plane and more varied, use dirt decals, a small water puddle, tree leafs on the floor etc.

BTW Don't let your age or lack of time be a deterrent, if you have no intention of being a professional level designer then do what you like to do, take the time that you want to take and don't care if people think your work is good or bad, do what you love.

p.s - But i do recommend auto critic and will to improve.

I was advocating for a repository. In the meantime, what I think we should do is, you upload or host the material somewhere, or ask to get it on e.g. bloodgate (remind me who owns that), and then post a link to it on the wikipage for add-ons: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Add-ons.

Then if mappers want to use it, they can get it from there.

On that note, I think this should be the norm.

IMO, at this point in the mod where the core assets are really kind of set, instead of people asking the team what should be stuffed into the already hefty asset base -- textures, models, etc. -- fans shouldn't even wait for permission. Just make stuff they'd like to see, get it hosted, get the link up on the wiki page. Then mappers can take whatever they like.

That cuts out all the politics what should go in, cuts out the delay and red tape in negotiating what the assets should be like, and just make it really easy for fans to make whatever they want. And if something turns out to be really sensational, then the team still has the option to put some great thing to the asset base later. But it's best to have people making things without any promises or expectations. Gives lots of options for fans.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

More busts like these and other kinds of statuary would be nice to have in the core asset base IMO. It is an area where TDM is still underserved.

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

In general, dem's point is a good one, but in this case we definitely could use something like this in the core.

In general, dem's point is a good one, but in this case we definitely could use something like this in the core.

Do you want to do the honours or shall I..? ^_^

I was advocating for a repository. In the meantime, what I think we should do is, you upload or host the material somewhere, or ask to get it on e.g. bloodgate (remind me who owns that), and then post a link to it on the wikipage for add-ons: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Add-ons.

That would be Tels and I dont think he has the bandwith anymore, so perhaps either see if someone want to host/mirror for these assets or ask Taaaki if we have the bandwidth/space..