The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Capela - go for it, man. I like your use of wood against stone. Just be sure to study real architecture in books and online, your ideas and motivation will be endless.

Gestas - Really nice model! Love the expression on the face. Whose sculpture is that from, out of curiosity? :)

Thanks,

https://sketchfab.com/geoffreymarchal did the 3d scanning

info about that particular bust:

Bust of Charles-Joseph Tissot (1863), made by Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux (1827-1875), Nye Carlsberg Glyptotek (Copenhagen, Denmark). Made with Memento Beta.(3d scan)

Started working on the base of this one

https://sketchfab.com/models/55d4a8e6df96478aa5ab50ac43213451

Figure it would be good in wood and stone.

Main issue with these is the 3d scan doesn't get all sides , and he tends to have them at a good angle for viewing.

So I have to rotate them and try to get them square (but they never are). I can get two good sides on the base then copy and rotated the other side.

Just too many polys for my computer to handle moving them around much. The surfaces are a little rough but they do bake pretty well. Not perfect but pretty fast considering, trying to sculpt that bust would take me forever.

• Like 2

Started working on the base of this one

Very cool.

One request--please don't use textures/common/shadow2. It provides no benefit over textures/common/shadow but means that the object won't cast shadows on any objects that are forced to use noselfshadow textures.

Thats pretty awesome, man, lovely stand. I think the stone one definitely works best. The "soft" edges on the normal map (due to the scan, Id assume) is exactly what you would expect on most granite sculptures, because the stones were so hard and difficult to work with. Not so much with wood, where we would expect sharp detail work. ;)

One request--please don't use textures/common/shadow2. it means that the object won't cast shadows on any objects that are forced to use noselfshadow textures.

I never knew this :unsure: and have used it in the past, doh. :blush:

@Gestas

- If Springs hasent mentioned already, for us to be able to use it would need low poly versions with detailed normals. (thats assuming you havent done that already) very nice work btw.

I'm not sure is it right to write at this topic, but I want to ask if anybody could explain how to make Day-Night Cycle. Making some kind of RPG map, but surfing the net/forums did not find anything helpful. Also if it is possible to make D-N Cycle, where I could get different Day skyboxes, shaders and etc.

I never knew this :unsure: and have used it in the past, doh. :blush:

@Gestas

- If Springs hasent mentioned already, for us to be able to use it would need low poly versions with detailed normals. (thats assuming you havent done that already) very nice work btw.

I figure I can add a shadow mesh to that that's about 300 tris , but I don't think I'll do a lower version of the main mesh.

I made an LOD for the bust, but looking at the wiki I can't tell how it's used. The mapper has to set info on the model?

I'm not sure is it right to write at this topic, but I want to ask if anybody could explain how to make Day-Night Cycle. Making some kind of RPG map, but surfing the net/forums did not find anything helpful. Also if it is possible to make D-N Cycle, where I could get different Day skyboxes, shaders and etc.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13093-can-ambient-lights-change-in-a-given-mission/?p=267103might help somewhat. Changing the global ambient with a script would be the obvious route, although there might be some method involving a custom light shader: have a look at shaders like textures/darkmod/decals/symbols/pagan_pulsating_symbols01 and textures/darkmod/decals/clock_hand_01_long (Edit: and https://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.phpon lookup tables.)

Edit: I decided to have a go myself; try these, setting shaderParm7 (the smaller the number, the longer the day) and shaderParm6 (offset if you don't want to start at midnight) on ambient_world. Obviously, you would want to make better lookup tables.

table nychthemeronRed   {{ 0.02, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, 0.02 }}
table nychthemeronBlue  {{ 0.05, 0.1, 0.3, 0.4, 0.3, 0.1, 0.05 }}
table nychthemeronGreen {{ 0.02, 0.1, 0.3, 0.4, 0.3, 0.1, 0.02 }}

lights/ambientlightnfo_daynight
{
    ambientLight

lightFalloffImage makeintensity( textures/lights/ambientlightnfo)

{
        forceHighQuality
        map textures/lights/ambientlightnfo_amb
        red nychthemeronRed[ (time + parm6) * parm7 ]
        blue nychthemeronBlue[ (time + parm6) * parm7 ]
        green nychthemeronGreen[ (time + parm6) * parm7 ]
        zeroClamp
    }
}

lights/ambientlightnfo_clouds_daynight
{
    ambientLight
    lightFalloffImage makeintensity( textures/lights/ambientlightnfo)

{
        forceHighQuality
        map textures/lights/ambientlightnfo_clouds
        red nychthemeronRed[ (time + parm6) * parm7 ]
        blue nychthemeronBlue[ (time + parm6) * parm7 ]
        green nychthemeronGreen[ (time + parm6) * parm7 ]
        translate (time*-0.01), time*0.01
    }
}

Edit2: on reflection, you'd probably want finer control, including the ability to turn the cycle off for deep indoor environments. I haven't tested it, but an improved version might have stages like this:

{
	if (parm5 == 1)
        forceHighQuality
        red nychthemeronRed[ (time + parm6) * parm7 ] + parm1
        blue nychthemeronBlue[ (time + parm6) * parm7 ] + parm2
        green nychthemeronGreen[ (time + parm6) * parm7 ] + parm3
        zeroClamp
    }

{
	if (parm5 != 1)
	forceHighQuality
	colored
	zeroClamp
	}

On changing skyboxes, see the description for info_portalsky:

Specifies location for portal sky. Multiple portalsky locations are supported, with one 'currently active' info_portalSky providing the view for all portal sky brushes. Triggering an info_portalSky will make it 'current', even if it didn't have a 'triggered' flag to start with.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9082-newbie-darkradiant-questions/is the general purpose mapping question thread.

Edited by VanishedOne
  • Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

I figure I can add a shadow mesh to that that's about 300 tris , but I don't think I'll do a lower version of the main mesh.

I made an LOD for the bust, but looking at the wiki I can't tell how it's used. The mapper has to set info on the model?

No, we can set it up in an entity def, so the mapper just places the entity and the LOD settings come by default.

I set up the one for the other bust you posted already.

• Like 1

Just one more pic from the gate.

City_03_2015_08_11_20_23_45.jpg

That to me looks like a shot straight out of Thief 4 (which was incredibly beautiful visually)

I really hope you're able to finish this man because that just looks awesome and is just screaming to be explored!

Do you have a storyline and everything written? and is this going to be a small/medium/large mission?

Ok, thanks.

Working on this one, good retopo practice, getting faster.

attachicon.gifsphinx_test.jpg

Btw, if it's easy to do, saving these in multiple sizes (default, large and small versions) would be very useful for statues. Small statuettes are great for interior decorating, creative loot, etc. The first bust is fairly large, and one half that size would also be very useful for sitting on desks or mantles.

OK, resize is easy. Maybe a small gold bust too.

I actually meant to ask what sizes people thought the sphinx would be good at. It's broken (due to the scan not having that part) so it seems more like just a stone statue than a gold one.

I tried to change the scale in the .ase file but that doesn't seem to work.

@Capela, looks great.

looks great.

Found another cool object, really nice scan too.

However I noticed something weird with the shadows. I have a really basic shadow mesh and if I use 'shadow' texture I get lines on his face. With shadow 2 I don't but he doesn't cast shadow on stand. I noticed this with the bust too, he gets some weird shading on his face with 'shadow'.

post-36608-0-09011200-1439402343_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

@Goldwell: Im playing Thief right know and i really like the visuals and architecture and the color they put in it, even if i think when they make it that way at some point everything seems the same and its hard to have points of reference and im trying to avoid that. But of course im just one guy with very time limited and i will never be capable of doing something so detailed. Im play TDS to, and if you just search in the internet for in game pics you can see how simple the architecture are but it works good never the less. Because i like to use a few pallet color range, so yep, im taking notes from Thief. :ph34r:

The size of the mission it will depend on performance, i would like to go to a large mission but lets see if i can get the time to do it.

Regarding the story, what i can tell is since i start to make a mission the idea is simple, a job to get "The Book Of The Dead"..... and get some pages that are lost from the book to complete it, and in the end just think about if what you did was not a great mistake? :o

One thing is for sure, my native language its not English, im not good at write, and im going to need help to write that story. :rolleyes:

@Bikerdude: Yes you right, but this is really a wip area, i am trying to do this for so long, and so many times i get way that when im come back i need to learn many things again. Share this unfinished map pics on the forum just give me an extra motivation.

Regards. JG

• Like 2