The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

However I noticed something weird with the shadows. I have a really basic shadow mesh and if I use 'shadow' texture I get lines on his face. With shadow 2 I don't but he doesn't cast shadow on stand. I noticed this with the bust too, he gets some weird shading on his face with 'shadow

You have to make sure the shadowmesh doesn't poke through the visible mesh. Shadow2 keeps the shadowmesh from casting any shadows on the visible mesh, as well as any other textures with "noselfshadow" applied, which is why we try to avoid it.

One thing is for sure, my native language its not English, im not good at write, and im going to need help to write that story. :rolleyes:

If you need help with in-game texts, I would be glad to help. I am no native sepaker myself, but I consider my English to be quite good. (Now I have read these two sentences three times, just not to emabarrass myself ;) )

If you need help with in-game texts, I would be glad to help. I am no native sepaker myself, but I consider my English to be quite good. (Now I have read these two sentences three times, just not to emabarrass myself ;) )

Your English is quite good, but you do have a couple of spelling errors (sepaker, emabarrass); running a software spellcheck might be useful.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Thank you for the compliment!

Well, typos happen. And even though I have read it three times the "sepaker" slipped my attention. And the additional "a" happens quite a lot (not sure why; when I type, I just randomly hit "a" sometimes), but usually I notice it. But for that you have people to proof read texts...

Edited by Destined

Hey, thats cool! But wait, are those what, nuts or... :) Pretty cool to see youre picking up modelling aswell, its not easy. Heard lightwave is kinda hard to work with, but then again, all of them are. I would recommend blender, if you are getting started. Not because its the most powerful, but because there's just something about supporting and using open software, it just rocks. Im learning it myself, after going through Modo (which is quite good, as far as game modeling goes).

They're actually home-grown horse droppings grapes.

Lightwave actually has a really nice interface. It's nice and simple until you start digging, unlike Blender and 3DS, which in my experience are just a total mess.

• Like 1

Goldwell - Lovely shots man, love those moonlight showers. Just one suggestion: please dont use that "glow in the dark" glass material. TDM has some materials that simply dont work well with light, specially in the dark (ironically). I would suggest the warped glass, it looks the best in my experience (though you could create a different bump map, with less distortion if you want).

Did we get bored and figure out the Lightwave > TDM workflow, taking hours longer than we should have in our determination to not look anything up? Yes we did, Other Merry.

2d1beb2031.jpg

babby's first TDM model <3

I'm planning on making a bunch of food stuff, because it's something I've missed in TDM. I used to love ravaging kitchens like the hungry hungry caterpillar, and it ought to be an easy introduction to modelling with software I've never touched before tonight.

Thats good, i like to hunt my own food, so you could make a Raven that fly around so i can put my arrow on it and make a nice fire to cook it...and eat,. Thanks.

• Like 1

Merry - I hear you. I cant stand 3DS. Blender IS a total mess, its like flying a(n alien) plane. I also liked modo because of that, easy interface. Just focus on the fun part, which is putting the stuff you make out there.

Edited by RPGista

I like it. It reminds me a bit of the shop from Thief - The Dark Project. Just put it in a cellar or some wrecked building with nice decals on the stone walls and a hideous person selling you weapons and it will all be fine ;)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I like it. It reminds me a bit of the shop from Thief - The Dark Project. Just put it in a cellar or some wrecked building with nice decals on the stone walls and a hideous person selling you weapons and it will all be fine ;)

Hehe. (Assassins?) Thanks. Well, I could but it wouldn't fit the story at this point. And I believe I have a good one. :)

Working on an in-game shop. It's totally unfunctional at the moment. Just fleshing out some ideas. Any good tutorials on setting up a shop of this nature around?

I'm sure I've seen a proof of concept map that shows how it can be done... can't for the life of me think where. Can anyone remember?

I'm sure I've seen a proof of concept map that shows how it can be done... can't for the life of me think where. Can anyone remember?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16808-merchants-and-shops-using-loot-as-currency/?p=361596

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=In-game_shop

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

They're actually home-grown horse droppings grapes.

Lightwave actually has a really nice interface. It's nice and simple until you start digging, unlike Blender and 3DS, which in my experience are just a total mess.

If you like Lightwave you will love modo is made by past lightwave developers and is an official id tech tool (used by Seneca a id software level designer, on Doom3 and RAGE), and all the Modo plugins made by him here http://www.indigosm.com/modoscripts.htm are directed in some way at editing the idtech engine i especially love the "Super UV tools" with it you have in a sence Doom Editor texturing and above inside Modo.

Working on an in-game shop. It's totally unfunctional at the moment. Just fleshing out some ideas. Any good tutorials on setting up a shop of this nature around?

Not sure if I want the player to move around to much. Certainly not be able to use their weapons at this point. Just click around on various objects.

This could be absurdly cool. I kinda think of the shops in TDS now, since graphically that looks closest to what we do. One thing that I'd think about (just for effect) is defining more with lights too. Because it's only a certain room viewed once from a specific angle so you could probably detail the crap out of it. Like really soft cheap lights with a tiny radius that could give potions a kind of nifty glow. Or even getting some shadow mapped light panning across a wall, with some interesting pattern. I'm doing something similar (though not quite) where I'm building specific rooms in DR to be used for a certain view point only (mainly for an intro vid on a FM).

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Not sure if I want the player to move around to much. Certainly not be able to use their weapons at this point. Just click around on various objects.

Hi there @The_deep.

Well i really hope that you can make a decent shop because i would like to use one on my mission. Because its a City map and i remember from TDS that get to the shop was an adventure.

Regards

• Like 1

Very, very nice, I really like the textured feel of the space, lots of lines, wood, bricks. The lighting is looking quite good as well, like fullbodied. Pretty cool man.

The one thing I would mention perhaps is the POV, because you could possibly experiment with a more dramatic camera shot, maybe even an over the shoulder view (so we feel close to the observer, who is remembering), alternating with first person shots, or if not that, basicly more dramatic shots that tell the story in a more expressive way. I dont know, just might be fun to circle around looking for the best POV to get the emotion you are going for with each frame.

A couple of fun examples of how this works, from the master himself, John Buscema (takes me back):

how-to-draw-marvel.jpg

AnglesbyStanLee.jpg

• Like 1

Ah yeah see that's kinda how it goes in my head but when I hit the editor I realize I know absolutely nothing about working the animations or scripted sequences. I'd been looking into it a little bit today but couldn't get much luck with even making the thief look over. I just had to wait in-game till the default sit_idle pose made him look over slightly. Otherwise I think what we'll do is use this slide and make three panels out of it. Basically focusing in on the player, once on the two guys at the table and then maybe a full shot when fading out.

I wish I could just save static poses somewhere and load them manually just to envelope during runtime. Then I could have one of the guys at the table leaning one arm as he listens, as the other guy (explaining the whole bit) is sorta exaggerating things with his hand as he talks. There were two shots I scrapped that made me laugh heuristically because all the NPCs facing roughly towards the camera were all looking directly at it for some reason. I basically just take lots of shots and pick the one that has the best head angles.

Besides painting overlays, I'm also considering a barrel lens warp to focus the scene even more. But yeah all things to consider. Atm a buddy is wanting me to remake the combine citadel for UE4, so I'm sorta torn as to what I want to do. :wacko:

EDIT: Other thing too is that this scene is built to only support the one view angle. It looks awful if you turn it around because I don't even have any walls on the side not seen by the camera. I spent like 12 compiles just adjusting chair/character placement. Just seeing what complemented different light sources mainly. I can't count how many times I moved that barmaid around while redoing that spot. She's also standing on a fake platform since I raised everything up that's behind the bar. Somehow it helps create this sloping effect towards the middle of the room so I kinda rolled with that.

Edited by Epifire

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Random one here. I'm making a series of scenes for usage as slides on a intro video where the protagonist relates about something overheard at a local tavern. This is the one I plan on painting over to get a different look and feel to, but it will be overlayed, so that the original image is only masked. Should hopefully provide that vibe of "as I recall it" kinda thing...

Overheard a couple of locals at the briqshine discussing an interesting item recently brought into the city...

requiem_2015-08-27_17.40.24_zpsm5xruixd.

Been adding tons of really small lights just to get rid of the harsh shadows on people's faces. So far I'm liking the results but I only wish I could screencap at a higher resolution. Since I'm painting over it I may be able to bump it up in the next version. Let me know what ya'll think. I would have liked to have had some other scripted animations running for hand gestures and such, but so far this is what I've had to work with.

Nice scene, about using small lights is a nice trick you could also of course use a brighter ambient light if performance is a concern. About screen capturing at high rez the screenshot command on the engine accepts as input higher rez than the one you are playing at, this worked on Doom 3 not sure about TDM tho.

Open the command console, and type the following:

• screenshot size

where size is a common screen resolution

Here are some examples:

• screenshot 640 480

screenshot 800 600

screenshot 1024 768

screenshot 1280 960

screenshot 1600 1200

screenshot 2400 1800

screenshot 4000 3000

It will mess up the screen for a second but don't fret it will return to normal.