The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Nice scene, about using small lights is a nice trick you could also of course use a brighter ambient light if performance is a concern. About screen capturing at high rez the screenshot command on the engine accepts as input higher rez than the one you are playing at, this worked on Doom 3 not sure about TDM tho.

Open the command console, and type the following:

• screenshot size

where size is a common screen resolution

Here are some examples:

• screenshot 640 480

screenshot 800 600

screenshot 1024 768

screenshot 1280 960

screenshot 1600 1200

screenshot 2400 1800

screenshot 4000 3000

It will mess up the screen for a second but don't fret it will return to normal.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was needing! Will that set the screen output size from then on? Or does that have to be done per usage? Because being that I have to time it well, I may have to just spam that till I get a reasonable result. I almost wish there was a gameplay pause/freeze command that would hault or resume gameplay onscreen. Then I could just stop it where I wanted and use just about anything to screencap with at that point. :P

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

This is the Soulforge-machine-style crafting system my last status update was about. As demonstrated through cookery. I wanted something flexible enough to let the player drop arbitrary items in, and respond with a failure state if the recipe calls for two carrots and a turnip, and the player has supplied them but also dropped in a random skull. With an Objectives-based system I couldn't find a way, so I made this instead.

craft.pk4.txt

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Holy moly - these look amazing!!! :o

And you won't finish the map!?!?! :blink:

Thank you ^^ But no, I don't think I'll finish this.

You can go all the way to the end of the level, with the tutorial and everything, but it still doesn't feel as good as I thought. Plus, I would like to create cutscenes for a long campaign, and I really can't deal with the old file formats. Also, I wanted to create some action scenes of the city rooves, but it would be hard to do so with the rendering limitations.

I'll try to do it all over again from scratch on UE4. I'm gonna need a lot of tutorials, I think, but well... x)

I've done this recently with a very basic tutorial : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/36/1441320614-unrealtest.png

Level building is really easy, but I'm more of a graphic designer than a programmer, so re-creating a Thief-like gameplay is going to be waaaaay harder than this...

A future version of TDM will support all video formats that are supported by FFmpeg so that would solve the cutscene issue.

There are also plans to improve the renderer performance, this is an open source project so things can and will improve.

Please reconsider jumping ship to UE4.

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Thank you ^^ But no, I don't think I'll finish this.

Well that is really a pitty :(

Would you consider uploading your map file for lazy mappers to finish? You can use the already existing thread for this: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12713-abandoned-works/

It would be a shame if you just let this piece just get down the trash!

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Ow, now I kinda feel guilty about this all... xD

Don't get me wrong, I really like what you've done with Dark Radiant. Actually, it's impressive to see an open source engine project go that far. Thanks to your help, I've learnt a lot in only a few monthes.

My main problem comes from my professional background. I come from a game art school, and all the other graduates keep going for the most up to date engines. Of course, my friends are happy with my first map on DR, but it doesn't impress my coworkers or former classmates. Several of them are already working on the next big things like Dishonored 3.

Dark Radiant is awesome, but everytime I explain what I'm doing during job interviews, I get these answers :

1) "You know that Unity 5 and Unreal 4 are out, right?" (probably the most classic joke)

2) "Python?"

3) "So you can't send us an .exe file?"

4) "Well you didn't really do all these models by yourself." (for some reason, people still don't get the open source thing)

This is the main reason I decided to swap. If I can't bring myself up to date with the others, I won't be able to work on something else than mobile games...

Now this may not be definitive, for I don't know if I'll ever be capable of creating the main gameplay features on UE4 (looks like no one has ever bothered creating a light meter before!). And anyway, I still need the general architecture of the level ^^ So don't worry, this won't be all for nothing.

Also, as Nbohr said, there is a possibility that DR will grow to become more practical for me to use.

I'll upload the map if things are doing right ^^

Edited by Deshtat

That looks really nice the_deep. @ Deshtat: There is an indepented game in developement called Klepto with similar gameplay mechanics of Thief. I'm not sure which engine they're using.

On the Steam greenlight page (found here) it states that it its made in the Unreal Engine.. presumably UE4

Edited by Goldwell

Love it! I've long wanted to see more trap use in TDM. :)

Does it activate if a movable touches the tripwire?

Love it! I've long wanted to see more trap use in TDM. :)

Does it activate if a movable touches the tripwire?

Thanks! Sadly, no moveable nor weapon hit activation. It will only activate if a player or AI steps on the wire.

EDIT: Is there a way to sense any moveable object inside a trigger? The player and AI activate an "anyTouch" trigger_once, but moveables do not. If there is a trigger that senses moveables, it would be easy to make the tripwire to respond to player, AI and moveables.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

That's great! Do you want it to work with a moveable or weapon? Both will do damage, so there might be a way for the wire to respond to it.

Yeah, I think it would be more complete if it could be activated with moveables and weapon hits.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

You can make your tripwire a func_damagable with 1 health. It'll trigger its targets if touched by a moveable or weapon. I've tested that much. It looks like func_damagable supports a "broken" model too, assuming you've used a model. Or you could just have it target your existing trigger so it uses the current setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on a pulley for the docks. I found ropes, but no pulley in the object hierarchy (maybe I missed it) Don't know what poly count to aim for. It's not supposed to be an "up-close" model.

How many sides would you suggest to use for a cylinder, for an object of this type? I used ten, but I used a subsurface modifier and now I'm up to 1100 triangles vs. 414 without.

post-33343-0-09518100-1443117698_thumb.jpg

• Like 2