The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome - you're really on to something there, Sir! :)
Imho you should consider to do something to the stones on the street at the left door though - looks more like a carpet atm. And maybe add a balcony rail. Dunno :o

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Awesome - you're really on to something there, Sir! :)

Imho you should consider to do something to the stones on the street at the left door though - looks more like a carpet atm. And maybe add a balcony rail. Dunno :o

That looks like an Anisotropic Filtering artifact. If we could get a close-up view of that (or a screen with 8x AF ) it might change your outlook.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hi, thanks for you feedback. Yes thats really need to change, because i change the ground at last minute and that dont fit write. Well theres alot of things missing in there...but what you mean a balcony rail?? Do you have some picture or something for me to see the ideia!!!

One thing im learn its not to use shadow lights, and with practice you can make the feeling that you are using light shadows....in this picture theres none light shadows at all. If i put 5 or 6 light shadows i kill the area because i cant use visportals....There will be interiors and dungeons where i can use that lights, but for now i just wanna do the city areas. After all i think i try to make my mission 10 years ago....so one more year to make the mission i think its not irrelevant.

Thx

Edited by Capela

Hi, thanks for you feedback. Yes thats really need to change, because i change the ground at last minute and that dont fit write. Well theres alot of things missing in there...but what you mean a balcony rail?? Do you have some picture or something for me to see the ideia!!!

He meant the wooden balconies above the door to the left. As it is, people would risk falling, as soon as they get out of the door on the top, so if you build a balcony there, you would add a rail, so that people don't fall.

Capela: You definitely need to visportal your level! That's very important for the exteriors just as much as the interiors. I learned it the hard way with Return to the City (and then again and again).

Perhaps Bikerdude can help you with some suggestions, since he is really good at VP-ing almost impossible places.

If you've got visportals, you can use all shadowcasting lights all the time.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Capela, drop me a PM with the latest version of your map/s and I will do a perf pass on it for yer.

@Bikerdude: thanks for your support, i just need to finish a litle more the area and after that i will send you PM.

@Destined: And maybe add a balcony rail... ofcourse i dont know what i was thinking at the time :wacko:

@Noordung: Yes at least two crane are in the plane, as crates and other things.

Searching for old TDM material I even found a screenshot I made from my second mission (which seems to be in the works since 2012 already), haha! :laugh:

I know this doesn't fit todays standards of TDMs mapping qualities, but I started creating this mission right after the beginners contest and wasn't too comfortable or well known with Dark Radiant yet, so please don't bash me for this. I just wanted to show you this for pure nostalgia, haha! Maybe if I get more spare time in 2016 I can hopefully restart working on Mission 2, but I fear I won't meet todays TDM standards, since they've gone over the top from 2012 :blush:

post-3542-0-88616400-1450260372_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Epifire: Awesome work! Precisely the kind of model we need more of for TDM. :) I would suggest making versions with multiple skins if it is possible.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Epifire: Awesome work! Precisely the kind of model we need more of for TDM. :) I would suggest making versions with multiple skins if it is possible.

Thankyou! I'll definitely see what I can do as I've already baked down a lowpoly and am getting ready to paint in the details. Do you guys usually modify based by a shader color override? Or is it customary to use a separate texture sheet entirely? I kinda wanted to make one rusty derelict version and a clean city version. Maybe a more ornate one for a place of royalty (or religious zealot adornment?). At first I wanted to establish brand names on readouts, but I realized this isn't based in an age of industrial enlightenment. I'm assuming most high tech stuff in TDM would be commissioned directly to the Builders so that's why I was steering clear of elaborating on company signage.

I can help with that if need be.

That would be greatly appreciated. I'm also wondering how to implement different LOD meshes because I have those iron panels/readouts baked into the flat surface beneath too, so it would take a bit of the edge off the polycount with ease. It's also extremely situational (given it needs to be against a wall) because it doesn't have a solid back or bottom as to save on precious UV space. I could just insert a world texture as a space filler but I really wanted to keep it from being used that way. In the future I may work on more power equipment that can be viewed from all sides but this one wasn't made with that in mind.

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything