The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I always save my alpha channel textures as DXT3.

I don't see anything obviously wrong with your material shader.

According to a few sources, only DXT5 supports transparency. Maybe this is why you've had so many problems with transparent effects?

Normal maps should be saved in RXGB format if you are compressing. (It is pretty susceptible to artifacts so we don't recommend compressing normals.)

If I recall correctly, DXT5_nm is just an alias of RXGB? But to be certain you should use ATI's Compressonator for that. (We generally suggest that you use

Compressonator for all image types.)

Edit:

Nope. DXT3 supports low-bit alpha. It's DXT1 that has no alpha support. DXT5 affords more bits of precision to alpha for smoother transitions.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

According to a few sources, only DXT5 supports transparency. Maybe this is why you've had so many problems with transparent effects?

I've never had any problems with alpha transparencies.

Attempting to sort out what I can from RPGista's material reference for rendering out the holes. I'm still a little lost as to which part directly tells the material when the shader should have translucent parts/gaps from alpha. So far I'm only seeing alphatest, twosided and translucent but neither of them seem to be effecting anything. In DR I get this odd effect of tris disappearing with half a translucent across the whole mesh (almost as if it's not receiving the alpha channel). I did second check my dds to make sure, and it looks to be in order. For some reason my transformer comes up black every time I get in-game though. Here's the first half of my shader (as the rest shouldn't need to be touched anyway)..

arc_transformer_001
{
surftype15

description "metal"

qer_editorimage    models/darkmod/props/textures/arc_transformer_001_ed

{
    blend diffusemap
    models/darkmod/props/textures/arc_transformer_001
    alphatest 0.5
    clamp
}

specularmap        models/darkmod/props/textures/arc_transformer_001_s
bumpmap        models/darkmod/props/textures/arc_transformer_001_local

I've literally copied out the exact same setup from RPGista's shader and it's still come up black. I'm starting to wonder if something is up with my DDS, so I'll try and see if I can use this current one without any changes.

EDIT: Switched it back to normal and it works with the updated DDS file so it's definitely my shader setup.

Im not sure the "clamp" should be in this def. Other than that (since you say you already used the exact definition I posted), I would recheck the save as dialog, when you export the alpha image. I only use TGAs.

Edited by RPGista

Speaking of materials:

Wl6EbmJ.jpg

Seems TDM doesn't lack the famous alpha sorting issue. How do you keep alpha textures ordering properly? Transparent shaders also seem to render fullbright for some odd reason.

Try sort nearest in your material def.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Got a source for this?

On this, the original place I read Purah did the Boyle map was when they posted the first screenshots more than a year in advance of release, when it was still an "unnamed next game". Digi told us in the TTLG thread he made on it then. I don't remember the thread title now, but it'd be easy to search for.

As for Digi's maps, he was secretive about it early on, but he finally told us here a few weeks ago: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140983&p=2300963&viewfull=1#post2300963

Edit. FWIW,

(1) we have a perfect WIP wolfman model ready that just needs some rigging and animations. You can probably search the forum to find it. I'd personally like to see that worked on because...

(2) I actually need it for an FM I want to make, so it'd be worthwhile. I can't really use this one, though, for reasons already explained.

Edit2. If you want to make a puffball parallel universe for TDM though, at least it wouldn't be without precedence. Kfort did that for T2 and some people seem to like it. Just keep in mind you'd be making stuff like that just for your own FMs or likeminded folk. Also reminds me of the early days when TTLG broke into 2 opposing clans/factions, Clan Larcenio Haul ("We haul assets") and Clan Foofie ("Foofiiie!!!1 XD"). I'll let you guess which ones were the gritty realists and which ones the furries.

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Try sort nearest in your material def.

Tried it, not sure if it solved the sorting itself. The material is still fullbright, and stuff behind it renders oddly. Here's another screenshot, see the fence through the hair on the right:

MrZfkhp.jpg

Edit. FWIW,

(1) we have a perfect WIP wolfman model ready that just needs some rigging and animations. You can probably search the forum to find it. I'd personally like to see that worked on because...

(2) I actually need it for an FM I want to make, so it'd be worthwhile. I can't really use this one, though, for reasons already explained.

Edit2. If you want to make a puffball parallel universe for TDM though, at least it wouldn't be without precedence. Kfort did that for T2 and some people seem to like it. Just keep in mind you'd be making stuff like that just for your own FMs or likeminded folk. Also reminds me of the early days when TTLG broke into 2 opposing clans/factions, Clan Larcenio Haul ("We haul assets") and Clan Foofie ("Foofiiie!!!1 XD"). I'll let you guess which ones were the gritty realists and which ones the furries.

I searched the forum, but couldn't find any screenshots or useful posts about a wolfman model. Would certainly be interesting to take a look at it, although it won't cancel out this project.

It's not for a parallel universe though, the aim is realism and to have them fit in the existing TDM environment. I don't think you need to be way too likeminded to be okay with the mere presence of anthro characters, which exist in a lot of good fantasy stories (related or not to furries). The initial aim was to suggest the (final / SFW) AI's for inclusion in TDM, but I'm okay with this staying a mod.

• Like 1

The initial aim was to suggest the (final / SFW) AI's for inclusion in TDM,

I can say right now that this isn't going to happen. Anthropomorphic animals, even if they looked as good as the Skyrim ones, wouldn't fit in the TDM universe, any more than orcs and elves would.

I searched the forum, but couldn't find any screenshots or useful posts about a wolfman model.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14066-needed-for-standalone-animated-werebeast/?p=366434

I can say right now that this isn't going to happen. Anthropomorphic animals, even if they looked as good as the Skyrim ones, wouldn't fit in the TDM universe, any more than orcs and elves would.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14066-needed-for-standalone-animated-werebeast/?p=366434

Aha... yes then. I thought the reason TDM doesn't have orcs and elves is that no one bothered to model any, but if anyone did they would be added too. This sort of thing is why I once suggested a mod distribution system, which would work similarly to the mission downloader but for mods and mod dependencies instead. Including every such mod in every mission that uses it will be a little painful (hundreds of MB), but it works so I guess I can't complain :)

Mircea, you are probably using the alphablend material def. Copy and paste the first material def I posted (alpha transparency only) and the glowing effect wont be there. You'll notice that there'll probably be some sharp shadows on your hair geomtery, thats why alpha blend is useful, it will make them less noticeable, but at the same time it will glow in the dark so it only works well if the model is used in lit areas.

Mircea, you are probably using the alphablend material def. Copy and paste the first material def I posted (alpha transparency only) and the glowing effect wont be there. You'll notice that there'll probably be some sharp shadows on your hair geomtery, thats why alpha blend is useful, it will make them less noticeable, but at the same time it will glow in the dark so it only works well if the model is used in lit areas.

Tried to integrate the relevant parts... still no difference.

models/md5/chars/anthros/wolf/wolf_hair
{
	qer_editorimage	models/md5/chars/anthros/wolf/wolf_hair
	surftype15
	description "hair"

sort nearest
	nonsolid
	twosided
        noselfshadow
	noshadows

{
		blend diffusemap
		map models/md5/chars/anthros/wolf/wolf_hair
		alphatest 0.5
	}
	{
		if ( parm11 > 0 )
		blend gl_dst_color, gl_one
		map _white
		rgb 0.40 * parm11
	}
	{
		if ( parm11 > 0 )
		blend add
		map models/md5/chars/anthros/wolf/wolf_hair
		rgb 0.15 * parm11
	}
}
  • Like 1

@ RPGista, I used the source image (TGA) as substitute. It worked fine for the normal mode but again it just turns up black otherwise. I do think it's a problem in the blend diffuse section somehow. Reason is while in-game it's all black, in editor I can see an outline of my specular map still working. My guess is that the normal map works too but can't be seen on top of the black. Also I figured I'd insert this fellow into the mix and show what adding the translucent line in addition to my other shader info looks like...

Screen%20Shot%2012-27-15%20at%2008.11%20

Now if I'm assuming correctly the translucent line shouldn't produce that should it? I'd be willing to PM someone the source files if they'd wanna take a crack at it. I'm starting to reach my whits end with it and I'm pretty sure it's something small I keep missing. Whether it be Source or Id4, shader files have a tendency to kick my a$$ on a fairly regular basis when I try something different. :wacko:

Edited by Epifire
  • Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

I was looking around my old thread, and this is what Tels told me at the time (this is about brush models).

"The two relevant keywords in the material shader are "twosided" and "alphatest". The alphatest value says "every value in the alpha layer smaller than this gets transparent, everything else solid" (there is no blending, its a 1 or 0).

8D3 has unfortunately no real alphablending where different parts of the texture canbe differently transparent, it is either 1/0 alphatest or the default 50% translucency

Example material:

textures/darkmod/decals/vegetation/ivypatch_average01"

The translucency arg should not be there. Its for glassy or "thin" materials like leaves on a plant. Its probably better to copy and paste the ivy material, go for the source. The alpha color I used in my brush models was black. Which one are you using? Maybe that alpha test value works best for a black background. The model shouldnt be rendering wrong. You got it into the game before, so surely here are no typos... If you still cant get it to work, I can take a look, no problem, but Im not sure what else I could do differently.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 2

Capela, your "art style" seems to be very unique, quite a bit different from most architecture I saw here.

It looks like you actually achieve to construct some different kind of environment, maybe ... cleaner, colder, more

structured ... you know, like the difference between rural British and French architecture in cities.

While most of the other mappers produce environments that look often very ... small-town-like British and fantasy-like,

your work seems to be more ... urban ... central European, maybe Swedish or German?

I find that rather remarkable, after all you work with the same assets. Maybe your story and setting could be

on another continent, or other "City", far away from "The City" ?

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

Great windows!

They are TDM stock. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Models look good, but FYI electricity in TDM is supposed to be wireless.