The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Oh? I suppose that might make these redundant if that's so. I guess then it's up to you all whether they can be used but I'd like to look more into TDM's tech restrictions. I really wanna expand on what we have and just enhance what's currently available for electrical equipment. Most my limitations have been how much I can condense something in accordance to the available methods. That and what can be manufactured with the materials that would be appropriate. Usually that means a lot of cast iron with bolts and rivets.

My only summarization of how this technology could exist is in some kind of derelict facility with outdated or undiscovered machines foreign to the culture. I do still have plans of derelict props in general, just because I think there's a lot of depth to draw on for the environment. Things like moss covered beams, old machinery, mostly archaic pieces that seem antiquated even in TDM terms.

But getting back to wireless electricity, do we just charge the air or what? I do recall those posts in the old Thief games that looked like some kind of electro receivers but I never realized that was carried over. If so that gives me a bit more to think about, but explains the lack in wiring.

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

So that being said I guess the transformer was still in good standing. Maybe I should go over to a different thread for it but if there are any requests from our senior members (that know our current prop selection)? I'd be willing to start there after wrapping up the transformer but I have plenty of ideas to keep going with as long as they fit in the universe.

From the wiki on technology:

Electricity does not use wires to travel in The Dark Mod setting, but is instead transmitted like radio waves, from generators to the object using the electricity (similar in theory to Tesla's notion of wireless energy transmission). That's why most electrical devices have metal antennaes on them. Generators cannot 'send' electricity very far, so each house requires its own steam-powered generator, meaning only the very wealthy have access to electricity.

are any requests from our senior members (that know our current prop selection)?

Well, there was this:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17368-electrical-transmitter/

I did eventually come up with something but I'm sure you could do better. Mechanical things are not my strong suit.

• Like 1

Models look good, but FYI electricity in TDM is supposed to be wireless.

*gasp* Steampunk WIFI!

Anyway, I like these models, very realistic and nicely detailed! I hope they're still within TDM's artistic standards and can be accepted.

*gasp* Steampunk WIFI!

Anyway, I like these models, very realistic and nicely detailed! I hope they're still within TDM's artistic standards and can be accepted.

Thanks! :wub: It's up to the mod leads as to what happens with them (as I had planned on submitting my finished work to the database). Otherwise with recent information, the only usage I could see them is in a heavy industrial facility. I mean even wireless setups have to have wires to link things together but we're talking about very large machines. Probably a generator room or factory controls. The game play advantage I saw to wires (not having known about the wifi) is that they're useful for leading the player on puzzle based missions where a visual confirmation of linkage is needed.

From the wiki on technology:

Well, there was this:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17368-electrical-transmitter/

I did eventually come up with something but I'm sure you could do better. Mechanical things are not my strong suit.

I'll take you up on that sir. You may see some trials in the meanwhile but currently I'm thinking a single pylon centered into a cluster of supports. Sharp just seems to look more menacing and dangerous (and fits the theme I reckon) so I'll try something along those lines and get a rough concept going. Usually I'm pretty good about reusing polys/UV space but this is still gonna be pretty detailed (and may require some large/multiple sheets) to convey properly.

So that being said I guess the transformer was still in good standing. Maybe I should go over to a different thread for it but if there are any requests from our senior members (that know our current prop selection)? I'd be willing to start there after wrapping up the transformer but I have plenty of ideas to keep going with as long as they fit in the universe.

I think we do need an industrial thermometer, perhaps a plain one, one with fancy hammery designs, and maybe one that's oldish. I had a simple concept here:

post-2023-0-72906500-1396257004.jpg

A demijohn would be pretty cool. Here are some, along with a round stove that also looks pretty neat.

demijohn1.jpg

• Like 3

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Something else that just came to mind...there is this line from the wiki:

The Lord Mayor called together a group of engineers and alchemists and charged them with the defense of the city. This group spent months designing innovative siege engines (some of which still stand overlooking the harbours today), along with an alchemical solution that would cause water itself to burst into flame (liquid fire).

It would be a cool world-building thing to have designs for these machines. I have no idea what they might be--the only thing I had in mind was maybe some kind of archimedes-inspired death ray that could set ships on fire or ignite the napalm sitting on the surface of the bay.

http://www.messagetoeagle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/shinarchimedesray2.jpg

The electrical models are top notch! Mission authors work with alternate settings all the time. I can easily see these being used in some near future setting. You could simply release your model package for the community to use as a custom asset. We just need a way to brodcast them better, some kind of repository... We do have a "contributions" thread, but maybe we could use more specific ones, to separate models, from sounds, etc...

Edited by RPGista

The electrical models are top notch! Mission authors work with alternate settings all the time. I can easily see these being used in some near future setting. You could simply release your model package for the community to use as a custom asset. We just need a way to brodcast them better, some kind of repository... We do have a "contributions" thread, but maybe we could use more specific ones, to separate models, from sounds, etc...

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16962-mod-distribution-system/

if there are any requests from our senior members

One other gameplay thing I've wanted to see for a while is some kind of stationary defense mechanism. Something like those face shooters in T2 or the electric turrets of Dishonored

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/dishonoredvideogame/images/5/5b/Arc_pylon_render.png/revision/latest?cb=20141102235235

• Like 2

Something else that just came to mind...there is this line from the wiki:

The Lord Mayor called together a group of engineers and alchemists and charged them with the defense of the city. This group spent months designing innovative siege engines (some of which still stand overlooking the harbours today), along with an alchemical solution that would cause water itself to burst into flame (liquid fire).

It would be a cool world-building thing to have designs for these machines. I have no idea what they might be--the only thing I had in mind was maybe some kind of archimedes-inspired death ray that could set ships on fire or ignite the napalm sitting on the surface of the bay.

http://www.messagetoeagle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/shinarchimedesray2.jpg

Sounds a bit like these patchwork things I did (I was experimenting with a real-time sunset and got carried away), but they're meant to be searchlights:

post-35144-0-97322000-1451414640_thumb.png

One other gameplay thing I've wanted to see for a while is some kind of stationary defense mechanism. Something like those face shooters in T2 or the electric turrets of Dishonored

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/dishonoredvideogame/images/5/5b/Arc_pylon_render.png/revision/latest?cb=20141102235235

Well, there's a security camera which could maybe be connected to a shooter. The main problem (also applicable to approaches that use trigger brushes) is that you can't hide from it in darkness.

• Like 3

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

If we had a model, I could set it up so that it has "vision" if appropriate. Though it could just as easily work by proximity.

+1 for cameras here! Yes, I know... steampunk theme and all. I still think there are ways to make them fit in though, and it's worth it since they offer a fun extra challenge when sneaking into places. Of course, if it was me, I'd love to see interactive touchscreens in more missions too, using the interactive surfaces idTech 4 is famed for... obviously in a form more like this:

tumblr_m90yhmp94o1qfzxa7o2_1280.jpg

they're meant to be searchlights:

That just reminded me of something that I need for a project I'm working on....big spotlights. Something like the big lights in Dishonored, but a much taller version, ten or twelve feet high and suitable for lighting up ships at a harbour.

These could also be placed in outdoor mansion yards, and provide gameplay for the player as they attempt to turn off the nearby generator that would power it.

Something vaguely like this:

ca4b7d4f24af694de6061c63110c7e39.jpg

@Outlooker: Well thanks fo your feedback, in fact im from Portugal Lisbon, its an old city with 7 Hills and if you go youtube you can see how it looks, anythink but flat, and very White and its my major reference. I dont know where my "art style" comes from it, but its a fact evryone have his style, and thats mine. Never the less, im doing the map by zones so a more medieavel area will come. Buts has a said this is a wip pics and a more steampunk will arise.

@Bikerdude: 'Auldale like' part of Bridgeport, well i need to read more about this universe.

Well just another very wip pic.

Citymap_15_2015_2015_12_29_22_15_24.jpg

Edited by Capela
  • Like 3

Very Flash Gordon! I like it. :)

(I would separate it into two models - the coil itself and the surrounding frame.)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Didnt Sotha or Obs build an automated arrow trap..?

I didn't, but it is not hard to implement.

Regarding security cameras: they can be set up so they take the lightgem into account.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter