The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

@Epifire I was trying to figure out why that room looked so oddly familiar in the picture.. and then I realized that's because it's a section of my current WIP I sent you long ago for a custom model you did for me haha :)

That new model looks fantastic btw!

Oh yeah, whoops! :wacko:

I just ended up putting my random test models in there as I was messing with lights and found a setting I liked with that room. I actually had a shot in-engine (with that same location) with the rest of the room cropped out and some added text decor so I doubt anyone noticed it was in-game.

Thanks a bunch for the kind words all. I'm glad it's been received well, as you're the folks I make this stuff for!

• Like 2

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Looks great! I like the middle one as well. One of the art directions I'm trying to follow is that industrial models should be very desaturated and cold looking, to contrast with the warm reds of mansion environments and the earth tones of city environments.

One suggestion--rotate one of the needles so that they both don't point in exactly the same direction (you could also create a new texture that points to a different table so they don't move in sync).

As for electrical effects, there are several particles in existence, though I don't know what would fit exactly. Use the particle editor in DR to see what's available.

Good points for industrial meshes. I could also alter that needle's position a bit too, which shouldn't be a problem. You can't see it there but the bottom gauge actually points about a hundred mortz higher than the top. In theory a well calibrated unit should have consistent intervals with both pylons reading the same frequency. But we're going to assume whoever uses these just don't give a lick about increasing performance, which would also make a bit more sense if there is any kind of exaggeration in the arc effect.

I think (besides UV position) the needle would benefit a lot by just being ran on a tighter rotate time to differentiate between the two. From what I could find there was only that electrical swarm kind of effect for lamposts and such. It didn't look right (as it's a bit too large) on top of the unit. The other one was kind of a specific panner looking one but it still didn't line up because of the 45 degree tilt the pylons have.

They look stunning, the textures specially are fantastic, its not easy making metal that looks this good, kudos man. I think its awesome youre really putting in the work to make they come to life in every detail, like the glowing meters, the moving gauge, and now the particles.

From what I could find there was only that electrical swarm kind of effect for lamposts and such. It didn't look right (as it's a bit too large) on top of the unit. The other one was kind of a specific panner looking one but it still didn't line up because of the 45 degree tilt the pylons have.

It's usually not that hard to adjust the size of existing particle definitions to make a new one. http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4280 has a resized tdm_arclight_2 (but note the bug in the report).

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

requiem_2016-01-19_23.09.22_zpsd0lu43x6.

Wondering if we have any electrical effects? I can't do particles but it would look much nicer if we had an electrical arc that would fit the prop. With that being done I'm wanting to move onto something else.. electrical.

Realy like it. But i cant see what is the dimention of the object...if is not ask to much can you put a picture with an AI figure.. Thanks

Edited by Capela

I really hope your maps see the light of day one day because wow they look incredible!

You really nailed the garden - lit up just enough to feel mysterious and foreboding. Cool!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Very elegant work, Epifire! Love the detailing. :)

How about a separate spotlight object (without the support structure and the hanging box), in a smaller and larger size? That could be a versatile prop.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Very elegant work, Epifire! Love the detailing. :)

How about a separate spotlight object (without the support structure and the hanging box), in a smaller and larger size? That could be a versatile prop.

Thank you! And for a separate object it just all depends. I'm on the ropes about splitting this one up (for rotation posing in DR) but I could probably use the main body of this if I were to create an alternate version.

My only thoughts are what other parts would be present with just the light? My thoughts being, how would it be mounted and positioned. The box is the electrical receiver and is there for balancing the weight for ease of adjusting the pitch axis (in theory anyway). So if I removed that it'd be a bit hard to work around unless I just baked a new texture (which is also possible). Either way, message me more details if you're wanting to get specific.

Those sewers are incredible! I'd thought you hit the top tier with Sir Talbots sewers but these blow those away 10 fold!

Edited by Goldwell

Said sewers were originally going to be part of Bcd, but had to be removed due to hitting various limits which kept causing the game to crash.

If any modeled details could help (if it's a brush entity limit in question) I'd be willing to help. Cause damn, that's some pretty awesome looking sewers.

Edited by Epifire