The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Here are some screenshots from a mission Melan, myself and Shadowhide are currently working on, enjoy.

attachicon.gifshadowhide_2016-01-31_12.21.50.jpg

attachicon.gifshadowhide_2016-01-31_12.22.56.jpg

If any modeled details could help (if it's a brush entity limit in question) I'd be willing to help. Cause damn, that's some pretty awesome looking sewers.

I'll drop you a PM fella.

@Epifire I vote for splitting it as headlight+electric box and support for purposes of rotating as well. Also I'd say the spikes don't seem large enough! For a light that big I, as a player, would expect to see a proportionately sized antennae to suck the juicy electricity in (regardless of whether or not that's how it works). Not comically oversized, maybe about 50% bigger. It would also be nice to have a stubbier, inverted support, so we can stick this to ceilings. Here is a very bad sketch.

post-37271-0-21551600-1454263791_thumb.jpg

@bikerdude, Those stair and pipe assets in the second shot look fiiiine. Props on the texture work.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Thank you! And for a separate object it just all depends. I'm on the ropes about splitting this one up (for rotation posing in DR) but I could probably use the main body of this if I were to create an alternate version.

My only thoughts are what other parts would be present with just the light? My thoughts being, how would it be mounted and positioned. The box is the electrical receiver and is there for balancing the weight for ease of adjusting the pitch axis (in theory anyway). So if I removed that it'd be a bit hard to work around unless I just baked a new texture (which is also possible). Either way, message me more details if you're wanting to get specific.

I guess what I am looking for is an item that's flexible to be placed at several different angles, like Thief's floodlights (which was introduced in the Opera mission, I think). TDM has a bunch of good wall lights and lanterns, but this kind of object is not yet included.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I think once I've got some of the current stuff out of the way that shouldn't be too bad. I assume it'll be a static usage for it, so a separate mount and light (with appropriate DR friendly pivot points)?

That would be the idea. :)

The static is completely good. For the pylons, you could just use one of the existing glare particles, or scale down one of them to fit.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

But erm.. yeah what's the scroll line again? This is completely static but looks great if it can scroll. I just have no reference for my material to figure that one out yet.

https://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.php has

scroll <exp>, <exp>

translate <exp>, <exp>

sharing the description 'Scroll the texture coordinates'; I don't know whether they're different or just synonyms.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

So this is the static version, and I want glowing stuffs at both the pylons with some sparks.

If you can creat an image for each frame of animation we should be able to creat a new particle effect based of one of the existing TDM particle effects that uses images.

what Im currently working on

Very nice work fella!

Oh cheese, I love this dining table scene at the top of the images! :wub: Did you try to add a nice carped under the table already??

I love that scene too! I have been reluctant to change much because I am quite happy with it however I'll try adding a carpet and see if it works. Its a good idea none the less!

Thanks! :)

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 1

I think once I've got some of the current stuff out of the way that shouldn't be too bad. I assume it'll be a static usage for it, so a separate mount and light (with appropriate DR friendly pivot points)? Just because I love correctly simulated AO and like to change things up I can probably just make a separate smaller version.

On a separate note, I'm doing the unthinkable and trying particles contrary to my previous postings...

requiem_2016-02-01_01.16.29_zpsf5vaacmu.

So this is the static version, and I want glowing stuffs at both the pylons with some sparks. But erm.. yeah what's the scroll line again? This is completely static but looks great if it can scroll. I just have no reference for my material to figure that one out yet. After that it's adding this into an effect with some more snazzy things to finally call it good.

Absolutely top notch, man! Just that animated electric bolt and some cool sounds and this is ready to be put into any AAA game out there ;)

• Like 1

Last bit to add, as I feel more would be overdoing it (at least for the moment)...

All I really want to do after that is get the last sound I need (for the arc) and tie that into a light flicker to accompany the unit. Otherwise the idle track is all I have, as you can kinda hear it in the background. Idle is meant for a low power state or, "standby" to kinda help guide the player if it's a unit that can be activated. I think I may end up just separating the crank lever so people can make use of that with DR as they feel fit. Either way the major stuff is done, so I'm a happy camper. Now where's that spotlight I was working on...

That looks fantastic! do you have a copy of it? as i'd love to put that in my WIP maintenance room

Airship, I'm kinda curious as it's hard to tell from the angle, but is that an accessible upper balcony for the player in that room?

Also +1 to making me look up the definition of anachronistic. :P

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

I think google is probably how I learned 99% of the overly specific, fancy English words I know. Also yes, there's a walkway around the whole hall, with a door to a front yard balcony above the front door.

WRT the lights, I'd probably insist against them going in the mod since they're so anomalous.

• Like 1