The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this technique for foliage but thought it would be too tedious to be practical.

If there's a good way to automate this, then it would offer another cool way to optimize too.

Similar to the goal of automating the Strombine method:

http://lunaran.com/page.php?id=165

The engine can be tricked into some amazing visuals but it's so labor intensive to get there.

In case you weren't aware, Blender can import *.map files as quake 3 map format so you could do more complex angles that way

but you'd still need to account for the projection directions somehow. I guess you could build dummy geometry that matches the light

projection direction and origin and add that to the export.

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

My plans are to use this for those, "iconic" locations where it would benefit the most from long dramatic shadows. The other thing too that I've figured out is that as long as the light can be set in a good position the wall or surface it's casting to really doesn't matter for topology's sake. As long as the fake-bake shadow is ran from the same angle (as the light entity to the actual prop in-game) the game takes care of the rest.

I really wish we had some kind of modified light entity for this. Primarily so we could denote a target mesh that would only receive light (without the texture). Then you could place a single directional light in DR and assign the mesh along with the appropriate soft shadows texture. The best part is it's pretty easy once you know what angle you want to run with. There's usually just a tad bit of tweaking in editor to make sure the shadow doesn't float but can be traced from the base of the object it's casting from. I'd be willing to toss together a tutorial about it just to show people the basics of it. Only thing is it would be from Softimage rather than Blender.

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

High quality, as expected. Bravo! :)

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

tumblr_o710bvK1mt1rxmn3vo1_400.png

Hello, darkness, my old friend!

• Like 3

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Just finished up some wood arch work here. I felt the hallway was still too bland structure wise. I think what I might do is maybe have lights, ropes, chains and other stuff hanging from these to change it up? Who knows.

darkmod_2016-05-13_16.32.20_zpsqjjrlc1x.

It looks funny how support beam is supported in the middle of door frame. :D

S2wtMNl.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Looks awesome!

A little progress report on my WIP:

A 10 room mansion heist with a new protagonist. Play time probably 30-60 min. I am aiming for a newbie-friendly experience with mostly simple patrols and reasonable AI density. I am still considering whether the protagonist is able to pick locks or not.

Current state:

Basic geometry 100%, detailing 100%, AI&paths 100%, plot 80%, objectives 30%, readables 30%, briefing 30%.

I was hoping to release the mission shortly after the new TDM version rolls out so that the folks get something new to play with the new version.

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

William Steele! I am looking forward to playing another WS mission! :)

And from PD3, no screenshots anymore, but here is the loading screen (still subject to slight changes):

post-2023-0-16939500-1465455077_thumb.jpg

• Like 2