The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Man, if you have the time we would appreciate you updating all our old models.

All the models you have built this far are fantastic!

There's a bit of a line for different requests I gotta work through first, but I'd be very happy to take a look at what you need.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Pretty cool, though something about that style stands a bit apart from our other models...the rock texture looks like it was hand-painted in more of a WoW style.

• Like 1

Pretty cool, though something about that style stands a bit apart from our other models...the rock texture looks like it was hand-painted in more of a WoW style.

That's right, it was sculpted out of mudbox so those are hand scraped edges that went into the highpoly. I'm not trying to go for a different style however, that just tends to creep in with the factor of hand painted vs simple tiling. I've been on the fence about adding more grit (specifically to the normal map) as I end up losing a lot of the sharp cuts on the edges since that's happened with some past models. What gets difficult is trying to model something that looks good under direct light as well as just the world ambient. It can be a real pain as I have models that look great under a dynamic light where the normal/specular maps are rendered and then look strange when only seeing the diffuse.

Edited by Epifire

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe, yeah I see what you mean

Yes, but I don't know exactly what to add to break up the monotony... It's not a place you can reach (as for now) It's a noclip-photo as to speak.

The first shot reminds me of Quake 1. In a good way.

The fourth one might benefit from some more colour variation.

Hehe, yeah I see what you mean

Yes, but I don't know exactly what to add to break up the monotony... It's not a place you can reach (as for now) It's a noclip-photo as to speak.

Only through some kind of lights coming off the top of the walls. Suchs as torches and such. But not too many, else the atmosphere goes away.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Love the fight between the cold and warm colors. Very reminiscent of Thief 3 Art Direction where the blues and oranges competed with each other and made a great feel.

Thanks! Thief: Deadly Shadows has certainly been a big inspiration for my WIP as I've been playing through the game alongside working on my map, also I've always been a big fan of the ambient color scheme they used too.

It's good to see it's influence is being noticed :)

• Like 3

Nice to see some good people working on some good-looking FMs! Keep up the good work!

I'll give an update on my WIP:

Geometry and detailing is mostly done. It is an old map, built first with the old technique and then later continued with modular technique. I have devised the plot (an Ulysses assassination job) and started putting AI and patrols in, but was distracted by making some custom animation, because it was a lot of fun.

RL has been very busy recently, so I have had very little time to work on it. Initially I thought of getting it released around new year, but at this pace it seems unlikely. Probably before the summer, then?

• Like 4

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Some interresting/frustrating thing with my mapping style (that could perhaps be fixed by proper planning) is that I often end up with a nice looking house with some decent interiors (not furnished yet) and then start to wonder..."Hmmm, what should this building be for? I had a tavern in mind but the layout isn't much tavernish..."

Also I tend to hollow out more than I planned to do..."Oh, look! This house looks nice...Hmm, this is a nice place to position some pipes so the player can get up to that window...Let's hollow out the house!"

• Like 2

@Fieldmedic,

Identifying the problem is the first step in solving the problem. But it is only a problem if you think it is a problem. It is good that we have mappers with different philosophies.

I try to work in the mode of efficiency.

!!!

How can I get maximum playability with minimum amount of work?

!!!

I plan. I experiment with layouts with minimal work (throwing modules around) before committing to build it further (add sealing geometry.) If something is built, it stays. Minor revisions are possible but I avoid rebuilding like the plague, it is very inefficient: work with no benefit.

I try to think a purpose for each location: if the location has no purpose, it will not be built. After building the purposeful locations, I add extra connections if possible to break linearity (like the ventilation shafts in Ulysses2.)

The mapping process is fun in itself, but most rewarding is getting stuff done.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

And in my current city mission, I build more like a person playing the mission, meaning no plan more than a general idea of what kind of section the player will encounter/walk into (will this be an alley, a small town square, a garden?). Then the mission expands as my mapping goes on, as a player who is exploring, with no idea of what he will encounter. I haven't even any direct idea of where the player will start. But I guess that can easily be fixed later when I add guards and lock doors and stuff...

This building tecnique may not be the most efficient, but sometimes I struggle with the motivation to build and I believe it's better to build these things I find interresting than to just give up. A small citysection can always be modified/adjusted to accomodate lots of different mission approaches; follow this NPC, go to that nice house and break in, escape the city, or just roam around like the FM Business as usual. Perhaps I feel like building a nice mansion interior, okay, that can be added to the city, too bad my city section is rather slummy (which is another "problem" I run into from time to time; Try to keep to one class (slum, average, noble etc) as I believe the people of this day and age didn't mix classes too much)

• Like 2

Thanks for the interest.

Since the last post I spent most of the mapping time creating setting and moods.

And near completed a few areas with fine-tuning colors, lighting. shadows and sounds.

The three pics above well represent where I aim to regards atmosphere.

The bad news: building is on hold for the time being, as for RL prios.

Like to finish the map, sooner or later.

Edited by fllood
  • Like 4

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

What ever happened to this..?

And this...

fllood's work is a delicate flower, slowly blossoming and maturing over the years.

I recall Johannes saying that he will never abandon his mission. Though I suspect his motivation suffered when he saw how much time it takes to make progress when your level of detail goes as far as modelling every single brick in every wall and floor.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...