The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

2501018386_dfffe9d744_b.jpg

Behold, the pillars of power! Legend says that ancient ones knew how to please the gods - but now everyone who will enter the pool, will be cursed, and will meet painful death, and his children up to seventh generation will give birth to monsters. Your attempts of bringing its memory back into world of the living is blasphemy and will be punished!

Looks really eerie, sort of like a nuclear reactor

http://youtu.be/Sb9i-toCcwg

• Like 2

I think that is the point: Painful death upon entering, monster (=disfigured) children up to the 7th generation. Sounds a lot like radiation damage...

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. The text read like it and the visuals looked the part too.

Maybe ERHs sub is nuclear powered? :)

I thought this is obvious its a reactor rods picture :D . This blue light is called Cherenkov radiation.

Stumpy's water temple could be more deadly than usual haunted ruins...

How do you explain that in terms of setting? is your mission set in the medieval steampunk style of world that TDM usually is? or is it more modern?

Steampunk is just an aesthetics for science fiction, and while the TDM world benefits from magic it still works on laws of nature, so there is a place for steam machines. And Thief's Precursors substitute (as I believe we need one) could benefit from technologies that eventually destroyed their whole civilization. Atomic devices is most obvious way to show their advancement without drifting into magical technology. I want my science clear, and I want my magic clear - i.e. AD&D magician is just a scientist in disguise imo.

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

I see no issues in having nuclear power in a steampunk setting. The steam that the punk requires can be easily generated with something else than coal.

Just apply copper colored tanks and equipment with analog meters and you're good to go.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

In that case I'm assuming science as a thing that modern people understand as technology but will work "in mysterious ways" for medieval folks (curse of monster children up to seventh generation), and magic as a feeling inseparable from event that gives you goose flesh. Fireball in generic fantasy setting is just an oversized lighter, and I prefer Cthulhu mythos magic where you are peeking from the edge of the world - something that makes you think that forces of nature are sentient and hostile.

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

Well, for me (and this does not contradict Clarke's law) magic, in general, is something that appears to contradict the laws of physics (or science in general). This is normally awe inspiring, because a person cannot understand it. Still, it might be that it actually can be explained by really advanced science. Even the Cthulhu myth magic might be explainable. And be it only by beings that have a different form of sentience or can only be perceived with senses not available for humans. As a simplified example: What if a ghost is a being that (apart from it being immaterial, hence simplified) is only visible with UV light? Humans could not see it, yet it can interact with its surroundings. A human would have to assume it is some ghostlike thing, as one could not see it. Something like that. It is an interesting topic, what people actually see as "magic". Still, I will stop rambling now, as I don't want to get too far off topic...

• Like 1

Reminds also of the reactor in The Dig.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

That looks scary as hell; I would be afraid to ride it. :wub:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Libraries with piped in sewage... How classy. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...